* Re: incoming
       [not found] <20190716162536.bb52b8f34a8ecf5331a86a42@linux-foundation.org>
@ 2019-07-17  8:47 ` Vlastimil Babka
From: Vlastimil Babka @ 2019-07-17  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, Linus Torvalds
  Cc: linux-mm, Jonathan Corbet, Thorsten Leemhuis, LKML

On 7/17/19 1:25 AM, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Most of the rest of MM and just about all of the rest of everything
> else.

Hi,

as I've mentioned at LSF/MM [1], I think it would be nice if mm pull
requests had summaries similar to other subsystems. I see they are now
more structured (thanks!), but they are now probably hitting the limit
of what scripting can do to produce a high-level summary for human
readers (unless patch authors themselves provide a blurb that can be
extracted later?).

So I've tried now to provide an example what I had in mind, below. Maybe
it's too concise - if there were "larger" features in this pull request,
they would probably benefit from more details. I'm CCing the known (to
me) consumers of these mails to judge :) Note I've only covered mm, and
core stuff that I think will be interesting to wide audience (change in
LIST_POISON2 value? I'm sure as hell glad to know about that one :)

Feel free to include this in the merge commit, if you find it useful.

Thanks,
Vlastimil

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/787705/

-----

- z3fold fixes and enhancements by Henry Burns and Vitaly Wool
- more accurate reclaimed slab caches calculations by Yafang Shao
- fix MAP_UNINITIALIZED UAPI symbol to not depend on config, by
Christoph Hellwig
- !CONFIG_MMU fixes by Christoph Hellwig
- new novmcoredd parameter to omit device dumps from vmcore, by Kairui Song
- new test_meminit module for testing heap and pagealloc initialization,
by Alexander Potapenko
- ioremap improvements for huge mappings, by Anshuman Khandual
- generalize kprobe page fault handling, by Anshuman Khandual
- device-dax hotplug fixes and improvements, by Pavel Tatashin
- enable synchronous DAX fault on powerpc, by Aneesh Kumar K.V
- add pte_devmap() support for arm64, by Robin Murphy
- unify locked_vm accounting with a helper, by Daniel Jordan
- several misc fixes

core/lib
- new typeof_member() macro including some users, by Alexey Dobriyan
- make BIT() and GENMASK() available in asm, by Masahiro Yamada
- changed LIST_POISON2 on x86_64 to 0xdead000000000122 for better code
generation, by Alexey Dobriyan
- rbtree code size optimizations, by Michel Lespinasse
- convert struct pid count to refcount_t, by Joel Fernandes

get_maintainer.pl
- add --no-moderated switch to skip moderated ML's, by Joe Perches

* Re: incoming
@ 2019-07-17  8:57   ` Bhaskar Chowdhury
From: Bhaskar Chowdhury @ 2019-07-17  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vlastimil Babka
  Cc: linux-kernel, Linus Torvalds, linux-mm, Jonathan Corbet,
	Thorsten Leemhuis

Cool !!

On 10:47 Wed 17 Jul , Vlastimil Babka wrote:
>On 7/17/19 1:25 AM, Andrew Morton wrote:
>>
>> Most of the rest of MM and just about all of the rest of everything
>> else.
>
>Hi,
>
>as I've mentioned at LSF/MM [1], I think it would be nice if mm pull
>requests had summaries similar to other subsystems. I see they are now
>more structured (thanks!), but they are now probably hitting the limit
>of what scripting can do to produce a high-level summary for human
>readers (unless patch authors themselves provide a blurb that can be
>extracted later?).
>
>So I've tried now to provide an example what I had in mind, below. Maybe
>it's too concise - if there were "larger" features in this pull request,
>they would probably benefit from more details. I'm CCing the known (to
>me) consumers of these mails to judge :) Note I've only covered mm, and
>core stuff that I think will be interesting to wide audience (change in
>LIST_POISON2 value? I'm sure as hell glad to know about that one :)
>
>Feel free to include this in the merge commit, if you find it useful.
>
>Thanks,
>Vlastimil
>
>[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/787705/
>
>-----
>
>- z3fold fixes and enhancements by Henry Burns and Vitaly Wool
>- more accurate reclaimed slab caches calculations by Yafang Shao
>- fix MAP_UNINITIALIZED UAPI symbol to not depend on config, by
>Christoph Hellwig
>- !CONFIG_MMU fixes by Christoph Hellwig
>- new novmcoredd parameter to omit device dumps from vmcore, by Kairui Song
>- new test_meminit module for testing heap and pagealloc initialization,
>by Alexander Potapenko
>- ioremap improvements for huge mappings, by Anshuman Khandual
>- generalize kprobe page fault handling, by Anshuman Khandual
>- device-dax hotplug fixes and improvements, by Pavel Tatashin
>- enable synchronous DAX fault on powerpc, by Aneesh Kumar K.V
>- add pte_devmap() support for arm64, by Robin Murphy
>- unify locked_vm accounting with a helper, by Daniel Jordan
>- several misc fixes
>
>core/lib
>- new typeof_member() macro including some users, by Alexey Dobriyan
>- make BIT() and GENMASK() available in asm, by Masahiro Yamada
>- changed LIST_POISON2 on x86_64 to 0xdead000000000122 for better code
>generation, by Alexey Dobriyan
>- rbtree code size optimizations, by Michel Lespinasse
>- convert struct pid count to refcount_t, by Joel Fernandes
>
>get_maintainer.pl
>- add --no-moderated switch to skip moderated ML's, by Joe Perches

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: incoming
@ 2019-07-17 16:13   ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2019-07-17 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vlastimil Babka
  Cc: Linux List Kernel Mailing, linux-mm, Jonathan Corbet, Thorsten Leemhuis

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 1:47 AM Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@suse.cz> wrote:

> So I've tried now to provide an example what I had in mind, below.

I'll take it as a trial. I added one-line notes about coda and the
PTRACE_GET_SYSCALL_INFO interface too.

I do hope that eventually I'll just get pull requests, and they'll
have more of a "theme" than this all (*)

           Linus

(*) Although in many ways, the theme for Andrew is "falls through the
cracks otherwise" so I'm not really complaining. This has been working
for years and years.

* Re: incoming
@ 2019-07-17 17:09     ` Christian Brauner
From: Christian Brauner @ 2019-07-17 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Vlastimil Babka, Linux List Kernel Mailing, linux-mm,
	Jonathan Corbet, Thorsten Leemhuis

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 09:13:26AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 1:47 AM Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@suse.cz> wrote:
> >
> > So I've tried now to provide an example what I had in mind, below.
>
> I'll take it as a trial. I added one-line notes about coda and the
> PTRACE_GET_SYSCALL_INFO interface too.
>
> I do hope that eventually I'll just get pull requests, and they'll
> have more of a "theme" than this all (*)
>
>            Linus
>
> (*) Although in many ways, the theme for Andrew is "falls through the
> cracks otherwise" so I'm not really complaining. This has been working

I put all pid{fd}/clone{3} which is mostly related to pid.c, exit.c,
fork.c into my tree and try to give it a consistent theme for the prs I
sent. And that at least from my perspective that worked and was pretty
easy to coordinate with Andrew. That should hopefully make it a little
easier to theme the -mm tree overall going forward.

* Re: incoming
@ 2019-07-17 18:13     ` Vlastimil Babka
From: Vlastimil Babka @ 2019-07-17 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Linux List Kernel Mailing, linux-mm, Jonathan Corbet, Thorsten Leemhuis

On 7/17/19 6:13 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 1:47 AM Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@suse.cz> wrote:
>>
>> So I've tried now to provide an example what I had in mind, below.
>
> I'll take it as a trial. I added one-line notes about coda and the
> PTRACE_GET_SYSCALL_INFO interface too.

Thanks.

> I do hope that eventually I'll just get pull requests,

Very much agree, that was also discussed at length in the LSF/MM mm
process session I've linked.

> and they'll
> have more of a "theme" than this all (*)

I'll check if the first patch bomb would be more amenable to that, as I
plan to fill in the mm part for 5.3 on LinuxChanges wiki, but for a
merge commit it's too late.

>            Linus
>
> (*) Although in many ways, the theme for Andrew is "falls through the
> cracks otherwise" so I'm not really complaining. This has been working
> for years and years.

Nevermind the misc stuff that much, but I think mm itself is more
important and deserves what other subsystems have.

* Re: incoming
       [not found] ` <202109101009.13A90EBB6@keescook>
@ 2021-09-10 20:13   ` Kees Cook
From: Kees Cook @ 2021-09-10 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, Andrew Morton, linux-mm, mm-commits

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 10:11:53AM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2021 at 08:09:48PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > More post linux-next material.
> >
> > 9 patches, based on f154c806676ad7153c6e161f30c53a44855329d6.
> >
> > Subsystems affected by this patch series:
> >
> >   mm/slab-generic
> >   rapidio
> >   mm/debug
> >
> > Subsystem: mm/slab-generic
> >
> >     "Matthew Wilcox (Oracle)" <willy@infradead.org>:
> >       mm: move kvmalloc-related functions to slab.h
> >
> > Subsystem: rapidio
> >
> >     Kees Cook <keescook@chromium.org>:
> >       rapidio: avoid bogus __alloc_size warning
> >
> > Subsystem: mm/debug
> >
> >     Kees Cook <keescook@chromium.org>:
> >     Patch series "Add __alloc_size() for better bounds checking", v2:
> >       Compiler Attributes: add __alloc_size() for better bounds checking
> >       checkpatch: add __alloc_size() to known $Attribute
> >       slab: clean up function declarations
> >       slab: add __alloc_size attributes for better bounds checking
> >       mm/page_alloc: add __alloc_size attributes for better bounds checking
> >       percpu: add __alloc_size attributes for better bounds checking
> >       mm/vmalloc: add __alloc_size attributes for better bounds checking
>
> Hi,
>
> FYI, in overnight build testing I found yet another corner case in
> GCC's handling of the __alloc_size attribute. It's the gift that keeps
> on giving. The fix is here:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20210910165851.3296624-1-keescook@chromium.org/

I'm so glad it's Friday. Here's the v2 fix... *sigh*

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20210910201132.3809437-1-keescook@chromium.org/

-Kees

--
Kees Cook

* Re: incoming
       [not found] <20190718155613.546f9056bbb57f486ab64307@linux-foundation.org>
@ 2019-07-19 10:42 ` Vlastimil Babka
From: Vlastimil Babka @ 2019-07-19 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, Linus Torvalds, Andrew Morton

On 7/19/19 12:56 AM, Andrew Morton wrote:

> The rest of MM and a kernel-wide procfs cleanup.
>

> Summary of the more significant patches:

Thanks for that!

Perhaps now it would be nice if this went also to linux-mm and lkml, as
mm-commits is sort of hidden.

Vlastimil

* Re: incoming
@ 2015-09-10  6:47   ` Rasmus Villemoes
From: Rasmus Villemoes @ 2015-09-10  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 10 2015, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> The VERY FIRST conversion patch I looked at was buggy. That makes me
> angry. The whole *AND*ONLY* point of this whole thing was to get rid
> of bugs, and be a obviously safe interface, and then the first
> conversion patch proves it wrong.
>
> Let me show you:
>
>         if (isdigit(*str)) {
> -               io_tlb_nslabs = simple_strtoul(str, &str, 0);
> +               str += parse_integer(str, 0, &io_tlb_nslabs);
>
> and obviously nobody spent even a *second* asking themselves "what if
> parse_integer returns an error".

[This is going to sound awfully self-glorifying. Oh well.] I did point
that out in another instance (memparse), which I think then got somewhat
fixed in a later version. Since Alexey and I seemed to disagree on what
guiding principles to use when doing the conversions and a number of
other points, I didn't have the energy to go through the entire series,
and the discussion died out.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1942623/focus=1944193

> I liked the automatic type-based templating it does, but I *don't*
> like the breakage that seems to be inevitable in any large-scale
> conversion from a previously used historical interface.

My words exactly.

Rasmus

* Re: incoming
       [not found] <20150909153424.3feb1c403a841ab97b2d98ab@linux-foundation.org>
@ 2015-09-09 23:23 ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2015-09-09 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 3:34 PM, Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> Subject: lib/: add parse_integer() (replacement for simple_strto*())
> Subject: parse_integer: add runtime testsuite
> Subject: parse-integer: rewrite kstrto*()
> Subject: parse_integer: add checkpatch.pl notice
> Subject: parse_integer: convert scanf()
> Subject: scanf: fix type range overflow
> Subject: parse_integer: convert lib/
> Subject: parse_integer: convert mm/
> Subject: parse_integer: convert fs/
> Subject: parse_integer: convert fs/cachefiles/
> Subject: parse_integer: convert ext2, ext4
> Subject: parse_integer: convert fs/ocfs2/
> Subject: parse_integer: convert fs/9p/
> Subject: parse_integer: convert fs/exofs/

No.

I'm not taking yet another broken "deprecate old interface, replace it
with new-and-improved one, and screw things up in the process".

The whole "kstrto*()" thing was a mistake. We had real bugs brought in
by the conversion to the "better" interface. The "even betterer" new
parse_integer() interface actually looks lik ea real improvement, and
talks about some of the brokenness of the old code, and I was really
wanting to like it, but then I saw the conversions.

The VERY FIRST conversion patch I looked at was buggy. That makes me
angry. The whole *AND*ONLY* point of this whole thing was to get rid
of bugs, and be a obviously safe interface, and then the first
conversion patch proves it wrong.

Let me show you:

        if (isdigit(*str)) {
-               io_tlb_nslabs = simple_strtoul(str, &str, 0);
+               str += parse_integer(str, 0, &io_tlb_nslabs);

and obviously nobody spent even a *second* asking themselves "what if
parse_integer returns an error".

The old code didn't fail catastrophically in the error case. The new one does.

And yes, parse_integer() really can return an error, even despite that
"isdigit(*str)" check. Think about it. Or just read the source code.

I really am very tired indeed of these "trivially obvious
improvements" that are buggy and actually introduce whole new ways to
write buggy code. Yes, the old code could miss an error. But the old
code wouldn't then create invalid pointers like the new code does.

I'm not thrilled about going through the rest of this sequence,
looking for other gotcha's. But I am *really* really tired of this
idiotic "let's make up a new interface that gets things right" and
then absolutely doesn't get it right at all. This is not just an issue
for number parseing - we had similar issues with the completely
moronic and misdesigned crap called "strlcpy()", which was introduced
for similar reasons, and also caused nasty bugs where the old code was
actually correct, and the "converted to better and safer interfaces"
code was actually buggy.

Mixing the error handling and the string update was a mistake.
Although *not* mixing it causes its own set of problems.

But whatever the final resolution to this is, I am *not* taking this
series. No way, no how. I liked the automatic type-based templating it
does, but I *don't* like the breakage that seems to be inevitable in
any large-scale conversion from a previously used historical
interface. People who implement new and improved interfaces always
seem to get that wrong.

              Linus

* Re: incoming
@ 2007-05-04 19:29         ` Roland McGrath
From: Roland McGrath @ 2007-05-04 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH
  Cc: Andrew Morton, Linus Torvalds, Hugh Dickins, Christoph Lameter,
	David S. Miller, Andi Kleen, Luck, Tony, Rik van Riel,
	Benjamin Herrenschmidt, linux-kernel, linux-mm, Stephen Smalley

> ABI changes are not a problem for -stable, so don't let that stop anyone
> :)

In fact this is the harmless sort (changes only the error code of a
failure case) that might actually go in if there were any important
reason.  But the smiley stands.

Thanks,
Roland

* Re: incoming
@ 2007-05-04 19:24       ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2007-05-04 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland McGrath
  Cc: Andrew Morton, Linus Torvalds, Hugh Dickins, Christoph Lameter,

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 11:57:21AM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > Ah.  The patch affects security code, but it doesn't actually address any
> > insecurity.  I didn't think it was needed for -stable?
>
> I would not recommend it for -stable.
> It is an ABI change for the case of a security refusal.

ABI changes are not a problem for -stable, so don't let that stop anyone
:)

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: incoming
@ 2007-05-04 18:57     ` Roland McGrath
From: Roland McGrath @ 2007-05-04 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton
  Cc: Greg KH, Linus Torvalds, Hugh Dickins, Christoph Lameter,

@ 2007-05-04 17:02     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2007-05-04 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton
  Cc: Linus Torvalds, Hugh Dickins, Christoph Lameter, David S. Miller,
	Andi Kleen, Luck, Tony, Rik van Riel, Benjamin Herrenschmidt,
	linux-kernel, linux-mm, Roland McGrath, Stephen Smalley

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 09:14:34AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 4 May 2007 06:37:28 -0700 Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 03:02:52PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > - One little security patch
> >
> > Care to cc: linux-stable with it so we can do a new 2.6.21 release with
> > it if needed?
> >

> Ah.  The patch affects security code, but it doesn't actually address any
> insecurity.  I didn't think it was needed for -stable?

Ah, ok, I read "security" as fixing a insecure problem, my mistake :)

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: incoming
@ 2007-05-04 16:14   ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2007-05-04 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH
  Cc: Linus Torvalds, Hugh Dickins, Christoph Lameter, David S. Miller,

From: Roland McGrath <roland@redhat.com>

wait* syscalls return -ECHILD even when an individual PID of a live child
was requested explicitly, when security_task_wait denies the operation.
This means that something like a broken SELinux policy can produce an
unexpected failure that looks just like a bug with wait or ptrace or
something.

This patch makes do_wait return -EACCES (or other appropriate error returned
from security_task_wait() instead of -ECHILD if some children were ruled out
solely because security_task_wait failed.

[jmorris@namei.org: switch error code to EACCES]
Signed-off-by: Roland McGrath <roland@redhat.com>
Cc: Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>
Cc: Chris Wright <chrisw@sous-sol.org>
Cc: James Morris <jmorris@namei.org>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>
---

 kernel/exit.c |   17 +++++++++++++++--

diff -puN kernel/exit.c~return-eperm-not-echild-on-security_task_wait-failure kernel/exit.c
--- a/kernel/exit.c~return-eperm-not-echild-on-security_task_wait-failure
+++ a/kernel/exit.c
@@ -1033,6 +1033,8 @@ asmlinkage void sys_exit_group(int error

 static int eligible_child(pid_t pid, int options, struct task_struct *p)
 {
+	int err;
+
 	if (pid > 0) {
 		if (p->pid != pid)
 			return 0;
@@ -1066,8 +1068,9 @@ static int eligible_child(pid_t pid, int
 	if (delay_group_leader(p))
 		return 2;

-	if (security_task_wait(p))
-		return 0;
+	err = security_task_wait(p);
+	if (err)
+		return err;

 	return 1;
 }
@@ -1449,6 +1452,7 @@ static long do_wait(pid_t pid, int optio
 	DECLARE_WAITQUEUE(wait, current);
 	struct task_struct *tsk;
 	int flag, retval;
+	int allowed, denied;

 	add_wait_queue(&current->signal->wait_chldexit,&wait);
 repeat:
@@ -1457,6 +1461,7 @@ repeat:
 	 * match our criteria, even if we are not able to reap it yet.
 	 */
 	flag = 0;
+	allowed = denied = 0;
 	current->state = TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE;
 	read_lock(&tasklist_lock);
 	tsk = current;
@@ -1472,6 +1477,12 @@ repeat:
 			if (!ret)
 				continue;

+			if (unlikely(ret < 0)) {
+				denied = ret;
+				continue;
+			}
+			allowed = 1;
+
 			switch (p->state) {
 			case TASK_TRACED:
 				/*
@@ -1570,6 +1581,8 @@ check_continued:
 		goto repeat;
 	}
 	retval = -ECHILD;
+	if (unlikely(denied) && !allowed)
+		retval = denied;
 end:
 	current->state = TASK_RUNNING;
 	remove_wait_queue(&current->signal->wait_chldexit,&wait);
_

* Re: incoming
@ 2007-05-04 13:37 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2007-05-04 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton
  Cc: Linus Torvalds, Hugh Dickins, Christoph Lameter, David S. Miller,

@ 2007-05-03  8:05   ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2007-05-03  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King
  Cc: Linus Torvalds, Hugh Dickins, Christoph Lameter, David S. Miller,

On Thu, 3 May 2007 08:55:43 +0100 Russell King <rmk+lkml@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 03:02:52PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > So this is what I have lined up for the first mm->2.6.22 batch.  I won't be
> > sending it off for another 12-24 hours yet.  To give people time for final
> > comment and to give me time to see if it actually works.
>
> I assume you're going to update this list with my comments I sent
> yesterday?

Serial drivers?  Well you saw me drop a bunch of them.  I now have:

serial-driver-pmc-msp71xx.patch
rm9000-serial-driver.patch
serial-define-fixed_port-flag-for-serial_core.patch
mpsc-serial-driver-tx-locking.patch
serial-serial_core-use-pr_debug.patch

I'll also be holding off on MADV_FREE - Nick has some performance things to
share and I'm assuming they're not as good as he'd like.

* Re: incoming
@ 2007-05-03  7:55 ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2007-05-03  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton
  Cc: Linus Torvalds, Hugh Dickins, Christoph Lameter, David S. Miller,
	Andi Kleen, Luck, Tony, Rik van Riel, Benjamin Herrenschmidt,
	linux-kernel, linux-mm

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 03:02:52PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> So this is what I have lined up for the first mm->2.6.22 batch.  I won't be
> sending it off for another 12-24 hours yet.  To give people time for final
> comment and to give me time to see if it actually works.

I assume you're going to update this list with my comments I sent
yesterday?

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:

* Re: incoming
@ 2007-05-02 22:31 ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2007-05-02 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton
  Cc: Linus Torvalds, Hugh Dickins, Christoph Lameter, David S. Miller,
	Andi Kleen, Luck, Tony, Rik van Riel, linux-kernel, linux-mm

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 15:02 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> So this is what I have lined up for the first mm->2.6.22 batch.  I won't be
> sending it off for another 12-24 hours yet.  To give people time for final
> comment and to give me time to see if it actually works.

Thanks.

I have some powerpc bits that depend on that stuff that will go through
Paulus after these show up in git and I've rebased.

Cheers,
Ben.

* incoming
@ 2007-05-02 22:02 Andrew Morton
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrew Morton @ 2007-05-02 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Hugh Dickins, Christoph Lameter, David S. Miller, Andi Kleen,
	Luck, Tony, Rik van Riel, Benjamin Herrenschmidt, linux-kernel,
	linux-mm

So this is what I have lined up for the first mm->2.6.22 batch.  I won't be
sending it off for another 12-24 hours yet.  To give people time for final
comment and to give me time to see if it actually works.

- A few serial bits.

- A few pcmcia bits.

- Some of the MM queue.  Includes:

  - An enhancement to /proc/pid/smaps to permit monitoring of a running
    program's working set.

    There's another patchset which builds on this quite a lot from Matt
    Mackall, but it's not quite ready yet.

  - The SLUB allocator.  It's pretty green but I do want to push ahead
    with this pretty aggressively with a view to replacing slab altogether.

    If it ends up not working out then we should remove slub altogether
    again, but I doubt if that will occur.

    If SLUB isn't in good shape by 2.6.22 we should hide it in Kconfig
    to prevent people from hitting known problems.  It'll remain
    EXPERIMENTAL.

  - generic pagetable quicklist management.  We have x86_64 and ia64
    and sparc64 implementations, but I'll only include David's sparc64
    implementation here.  I'll send the x86_64 and ia64 implementations
    through maintainers.

  - Various random MM bits

  - Benh's teach-get_unmapped_area-about-MAP_FIXED changes

  - madvise(MADV_FREE)

  This means I'm holding back Mel's page allocator work, and Andy's
  lumpy-reclaim.

  A shame in a way - I have high hopes for lumpy reclaim against the
  moveable zone, but these things are not to be done lightly.

  A few MM things have been held back awaiting subsystem tree merges
  (probably x86 - I didn't check).

- One little security patch

- the blackfin architecture

- small h8300 update

- small alpha update

- swsusp updates

- m68k bits

- cris udpates

- Lots of UML updates

- v850, xtensa

slab-introduce-krealloc.patch
at91_cf-minor-fix.patch
add-new_id-to-pcmcia-drivers.patch
ide-cs-recognize-2gb-compactflash-from-transcend.patch
serial-driver-pmc-msp71xx.patch
rm9000-serial-driver.patch
serial-define-fixed_port-flag-for-serial_core.patch
serial-use-resource_size_t-for-serial-port-io-addresses.patch
mpsc-serial-driver-tx-locking.patch
8250_pci-fix-pci-must_checks.patch
serial-serial_core-use-pr_debug.patch
add-apply_to_page_range-which-applies-a-function-to-a-pte-range.patch
safer-nr_node_ids-and-nr_node_ids-determination-and-initial.patch
use-zvc-counters-to-establish-exact-size-of-dirtyable-pages.patch
proper-prototype-for-hugetlb_get_unmapped_area.patch
mm-remove-gcc-workaround.patch
slab-ensure-cache_alloc_refill-terminates.patch
mm-make-read_cache_page-synchronous.patch
fs-buffer-dont-pageuptodate-without-page-locked.patch
allow-oom_adj-of-saintly-processes.patch
introduce-config_has_dma.patch
mm-slabc-proper-prototypes.patch
add-pfn_valid_within-helper-for-sub-max_order-hole-detection.patch
mm-simplify-filemap_nopage.patch
add-unitialized_var-macro-for-suppressing-gcc-warnings.patch
i386-add-ptep_test_and_clear_dirtyyoung.patch
i386-use-pte_update_defer-in-ptep_test_and_clear_dirtyyoung.patch
smaps-extract-pmd-walker-from-smaps-code.patch
smaps-add-pages-referenced-count-to-smaps.patch
smaps-add-clear_refs-file-to-clear-reference.patch
readahead-improve-heuristic-detecting-sequential-reads.patch
readahead-code-cleanup.patch
slab-use-num_possible_cpus-in-enable_cpucache.patch
slab-dont-allocate-empty-shared-caches.patch
slab-numa-kmem_cache-diet.patch
do-not-disable-interrupts-when-reading-min_free_kbytes.patch
slab-mark-set_up_list3s-__init.patch
cpusets-allow-tif_memdie-threads-to-allocate-anywhere.patch
i386-use-page-allocator-to-allocate-thread_info-structure.patch
slub-core.patch
make-page-private-usable-in-compound-pages-v1.patch
optimize-compound_head-by-avoiding-a-shared-page.patch
add-virt_to_head_page-and-consolidate-code-in-slab-and-slub.patch
slub-fix-object-tracking.patch
slub-enable-tracking-of-full-slabs.patch
slub-validation-of-slabs-metadata-and-guard-zones.patch
slub-add-min_partial.patch
slub-add-ability-to-list-alloc--free-callers-per-slab.patch
slub-free-slabs-and-sort-partial-slab-lists-in-kmem_cache_shrink.patch
slub-remove-object-activities-out-of-checking-functions.patch
slub-user-documentation.patch
slub-add-slabinfo-tool.patch
quicklists-for-page-table-pages.patch
quicklist-support-for-sparc64.patch
slob-handle-slab_panic-flag.patch
include-kern_-constant-in-printk-calls-in-mm-slabc.patch
mm-madvise-avoid-exclusive-mmap_sem.patch
mm-remove-destroy_dirty_buffers-from-invalidate_bdev.patch
mm-optimize-kill_bdev.patch
mm-optimize-acorn-partition-truncate.patch
slab-allocators-remove-obsolete-slab_must_hwcache_align.patch
kmem_cache-simplify-slab-cache-creation.patch
slab-allocators-remove-multiple-alignment-specifications.patch
fault-injection-fix-failslab-with-config_numa.patch
mm-fix-handling-of-panic_on_oom-when-cpusets-are-in-use.patch
oom-fix-constraint-deadlock.patch
get_unmapped_area-handles-map_fixed-on-powerpc.patch
get_unmapped_area-handles-map_fixed-on-alpha.patch
get_unmapped_area-handles-map_fixed-on-arm.patch
get_unmapped_area-handles-map_fixed-on-frv.patch
get_unmapped_area-handles-map_fixed-on-i386.patch
get_unmapped_area-handles-map_fixed-on-ia64.patch
get_unmapped_area-handles-map_fixed-on-parisc.patch
get_unmapped_area-handles-map_fixed-on-sparc64.patch
get_unmapped_area-handles-map_fixed-on-x86_64.patch
get_unmapped_area-handles-map_fixed-in-hugetlbfs.patch
get_unmapped_area-handles-map_fixed-in-generic-code.patch
get_unmapped_area-doesnt-need-hugetlbfs-hacks-anymore.patch
slab-allocators-remove-slab_debug_initial-flag.patch
slab-allocators-remove-slab_ctor_atomic.patch
slab-allocators-remove-useless-__gfp_no_grow-flag.patch
lazy-freeing-of-memory-through-madv_free.patch
restore-madv_dontneed-to-its-original-linux-behaviour.patch
hugetlbfs-add-null-check-in-hugetlb_zero_setup.patch
slob-fix-page-order-calculation-on-not-4kb-page.patch
page-migration-only-migrate-pages-if-allocation-in-the-highest-zone-is-possible.patch
return-eperm-not-echild-on-security_task_wait-failure.patch
blackfin-arch.patch
driver_bfin_serial_core.patch
blackfin-on-chip-ethernet-mac-controller-driver.patch
blackfin-patch-add-blackfin-support-in-smc91x.patch
blackfin-on-chip-rtc-controller-driver.patch
blackfin-blackfin-on-chip-spi-controller-driver.patch
convert-h8-300-to-generic-timekeeping.patch
h8300-generic-irq.patch
h8300-add-zimage-support.patch
round_up-macro-cleanup-in-arch-alpha-kernel-osf_sysc.patch
alpha-fix-bootp-image-creation.patch
alpha-prctl-macros.patch
srmcons-fix-kmallocgfp_kernel-inside-spinlock.patch
arm26-remove-useless-config-option-generic_bust_spinlock.patch
fix-refrigerator-vs-thaw_process-race.patch
swsusp-use-inline-functions-for-changing-page-flags.patch
swsusp-do-not-use-page-flags.patch
mm-remove-unused-page-flags.patch
swsusp-fix-error-paths-in-snapshot_open.patch
swsusp-use-gfp_kernel-for-creating-basic-data-structures.patch
freezer-remove-pf_nofreeze-from-handle_initrd.patch
swsusp-use-rbtree-for-tracking-allocated-swap.patch
freezer-fix-racy-usage-of-try_to_freeze-in-kswapd.patch
remove-software_suspend.patch
power-management-change-sys-power-disk-display.patch
kconfig-mentioneds-hibernation-not-just-swsusp.patch
swsusp-fix-snapshot_release.patch
swsusp-free-more-memory.patch
remove-unused-header-file-arch-m68k-atari-atasoundh.patch
spin_lock_unlocked-cleanup-in-arch-m68k.patch
remove-unused-header-file-drivers-serial-crisv10h.patch
cris-check-for-memory-allocation.patch
cris-remove-code-related-to-pre-22-kernel.patch
uml-delete-unused-code.patch
uml-formatting-fixes.patch
uml-host_info-tidying.patch
uml-mark-tt-mode-code-for-future-removal.patch
uml-print-coredump-limits.patch
uml-handle-block-device-hotplug-errors.patch
uml-driver-formatting-fixes.patch
uml-driver-formatting-fixes-fix.patch
uml-network-interface-hotplug-error-handling.patch
array_size-check-for-type.patch
uml-move-sigio-testing-to-sigioc.patch
uml-create-archh.patch
uml-create-as-layouth.patch
uml-move-remaining-useful-contents-of-user_utilh.patch
uml-remove-user_utilh.patch
uml-add-missing-__init-declarations.patch
remove-unused-header-file-arch-um-kernel-tt-include-mode_kern-tth.patch
uml-improve-checking-and-diagnostics-of-ethernet-macs.patch
uml-eliminate-temporary-buffer-in-eth_configure.patch
uml-replace-one-element-array-with-zero-element-array.patch
uml-fix-umid-in-xterm-titles.patch
uml-speed-up-exec.patch
uml-no-locking-needed-in-tlsc.patch
uml-tidy-processc.patch
uml-remove-page_size.patch
uml-kernel_thread-shouldnt-panic.patch
uml-tidy-fault-code.patch
uml-kernel-segfaults-should-dump-proper-registers.patch
uml-comment-early-boot-locking.patch
uml-irq-locking-commentary.patch
uml-delete-host_frame_size.patch
uml-drivers-get-release-methods.patch
uml-dump-registers-on-ptrace-or-wait-failure.patch
uml-speed-up-page-table-walking.patch
uml-remove-unused-x86_64-code.patch
uml-start-fixing-os_read_file-and-os_write_file.patch
uml-tidy-libc-code.patch
uml-convert-libc-layer-to-call-read-and-write.patch
uml-batch-i-o-requests.patch
uml-send-pointers-instead-of-structures-to-i-o-thread.patch
uml-send-pointers-instead-of-structures-to-i-o-thread-fix.patch
uml-dump-core-on-panic.patch
uml-dont-try-to-handle-signals-on-initial-process-stack.patch
uml-change-remaining-callers-of-os_read_write_file.patch
uml-formatting-fixes-around-os_read_write_file-callers.patch
uml-remove-debugging-remnants.patch
uml-rename-os_read_write_file_k-back-to-os_read_write_file.patch
uml-aio-deadlock-avoidance.patch
uml-speed-page-fault-path.patch
uml-eliminate-a-piece-of-debugging-code.patch
uml-more-page-fault-path-trimming.patch
uml-only-flush-areas-covered-by-vma.patch
uml-out-of-tmpfs-space-error-clarification.patch
uml-virtualized-time-fix.patch
uml-fix-prototypes.patch
v850-generic-timekeeping-conversion.patch
xtensa-strlcpy-is-smart-enough.patch

* Re: incoming
@ 2005-04-16  9:03     ` Paul Jackson
From: Paul Jackson @ 2005-04-16  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Revell; +Cc: geert, akpm, linux-kernel

> Looks like Andrew's patch bomb script needs some rate limiting ;-)

sendpatchset has that, already builtin ;)

	http://www.speakeasy.org/~pj99/sgi/sendpatchset

Though the 5 second delay might not be enough for someone
publishing at the rate Andrew does.

--
                  I won't rest till it's the best ...
                  Programmer, Linux Scalability

* Re: incoming
@ 2005-04-16  8:59     ` Paul Jackson
From: Paul Jackson @ 2005-04-16  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: dvrabel, torvalds, linux-kernel

Andrew wrote:
> I never got around to setting that up, plus the Subject:s pretty quickly
> become invisible when they're indented 198 columns in GUI MUAs.

My sendpatchset tool should be good for this.  It sends all but the
first message are sent in "Reference" to, and "In-Reply-To" the first
message.

  http://www.speakeasy.org/~pj99/sgi/sendpatchset

I use it when sending out multiple patches in sequence from a quilt
repository.

--

@ 2005-04-14 15:38   ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2005-04-14 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: Andrew Morton, Linux Kernel Development

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 13:48 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > As the commits list probably isn't working at present I'll cc linux-kernel
> > on this lot.  Fairly cruel, sorry, but I don't like the idea of people not
> > knowing what's hitting the main tree.
>
> Is it me, or were really only 117 mails of the 198 sent to lkml?

The patch bombing seems to have really wedged vger.  It took up to 24
hours to get all the messages.

Looks like Andrew's patch bomb script needs some rate limiting ;-)

Lee

* Re: incoming
@ 2005-04-14 11:57   ` Paulo Marques
From: Paulo Marques @ 2005-04-14 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: Andrew Morton, Linux Kernel Development

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
>>As the commits list probably isn't working at present I'll cc linux-kernel
>>on this lot.  Fairly cruel, sorry, but I don't like the idea of people not
>>knowing what's hitting the main tree.
>

> Is it me, or were really only 117 mails of the 198 sent to lkml?

(?)

I just double-checked, and I can say that I received all 198 emails from
vger...

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

* Re: incoming
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-04-14 11:48 ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2005-04-14 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Linux Kernel Development

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:
> As the commits list probably isn't working at present I'll cc linux-kernel
> on this lot.  Fairly cruel, sorry, but I don't like the idea of people not
> knowing what's hitting the main tree.

Is it me, or were really only 117 mails of the 198 sent to lkml?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: incoming
@ 2005-04-12 21:12     ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2005-04-12 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: torvalds, linux-kernel

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 02:08:00PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Russell King <rmk+lkml@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I don't see a patch which adds linux/pm.h to linux/sysdev.h, which is
> >  required to fix ARM builds in -rc2 and onwards kernels.
>
> That fix is buried in [patch 105/198]

Great, thanks.  I must have missed it, sorry.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core

* Re: incoming
@ 2005-04-12 21:08   ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2005-04-12 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King; +Cc: torvalds, linux-kernel

@ 2005-04-12 20:55 ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2005-04-12 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 03:23:22AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> As the commits list probably isn't working at present I'll cc linux-kernel
> on this lot.  Fairly cruel, sorry, but I don't like the idea of people not
> knowing what's hitting the main tree.

I don't see a patch which adds linux/pm.h to linux/sysdev.h, which is
required to fix ARM builds in -rc2 and onwards kernels.

It is my understanding that you have such a patch, and if it isn't
going to be sent, I'd like to send my own fix so that ARM can start
building again in mainline.

--

@ 2005-04-12 18:31     ` Matthias Urlichs
From: Matthias Urlichs @ 2005-04-12 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,   Andrew Morton schrub am Tue, 12 Apr 2005 04:10:45 -0700:

> David Vrabel <dvrabel@cantab.net> wrote:
>>
>> Is there any chance that in the future that these patch sets get posted
>>  all to one thread?
>
> I never got around to setting that up, plus the Subject:s pretty quickly
> become invisible when they're indented 198 columns in GUI MUAs.

Umm, what stops you from letting all the parts refer to part zero,
instead of part n-1?

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf@smurf.noris.de

* Re: incoming
@ 2005-04-12 14:38 ` Chris Friesen
From: Chris Friesen @ 2005-04-12 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel

Andrew Morton wrote:
> As the commits list probably isn't working at present I'll cc linux-kernel
> on this lot.  Fairly cruel, sorry, but I don't like the idea of people not
> knowing what's hitting the main tree.

I'd like to second the idea of having all the patches be replies to this
original posting (ie one level of indenting for all patches).  That way
a threaded view will only have one subject line for all 198 patches.

Chris

* Re: incoming
@ 2005-04-12 11:33     ` David Vrabel
From: David Vrabel @ 2005-04-12 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: torvalds, linux-kernel

Andrew Morton wrote:
> David Vrabel <dvrabel@cantab.net> wrote:
>
>>Is there any chance that in the future that these patch sets get posted
>> all to one thread?
>
> I never got around to setting that up, plus the Subject:s pretty quickly
> become invisible when they're indented 198 columns in GUI MUAs.

I meant something like this:

[patch 000/100]  Foo-ize the baz.
   [patch 001/100] Frob the baz
   [patch 002/100] baz cleanups
   [patch 003/100] apply foo-ization to baz

Rather than

[patch 000/100] Foo-ize the baz.
   [patch 001/100] Frob the baz
     [patch 002/100] baz cleanups
       [patch 003/100] apply foo-ization to baz

Which would (as you rightly pointed out) be ludicrous.

i.e., all the patches are replys to the summary.

David Vrabel

* Re: incoming
@ 2005-04-12 11:10   ` Andrew Morton
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrew Morton @ 2005-04-12 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Vrabel; +Cc: torvalds, linux-kernel

David Vrabel <dvrabel@cantab.net> wrote:

> Is there any chance that in the future that these patch sets get posted
>  all to one thread?

I never got around to setting that up, plus the Subject:s pretty quickly
become invisible when they're indented 198 columns in GUI MUAs.

Hopefully we'll have the commits list running next time...

* Re: incoming
@ 2005-04-12 11:02 ` David Vrabel
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Vrabel @ 2005-04-12 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel

Andrew Morton wrote:
> As the commits list probably isn't working at present I'll cc linux-kernel
> on this lot.  Fairly cruel, sorry, but I don't like the idea of people not
> knowing what's hitting the main tree.

Is there any chance that in the future that these patch sets get posted
all to one thread?  Perhaps as a reply to a summary? 1 thread to ignore
is preferable to 198.

David Vrabel

* incoming
@ 2005-04-12 10:23 Andrew Morton
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Andrew Morton @ 2005-04-12 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: linux-kernel

As the commits list probably isn't working at present I'll cc linux-kernel
on this lot.  Fairly cruel, sorry, but I don't like the idea of people not
knowing what's hitting the main tree.

This is the first live test of Linus's git-importing ability.  I'm about
to disappear for 1.5 weeks - hope we'll still have a kernel left when I
get back.

- As we're still a fair way from 2.6.12 and things are still backing up,
  it's a relatively large update.

- Various arch updates

- Big x86_64 update, as discussed

- decent-sized ppc32, ppc64 updates

- big infiniband update

- very nearly the last batch of u32->pm_message_t conversions.  Some
  other bits of this will be sitting out in subsystem trees - this is just
  the stuff which doesn't overlap.

- the important fixes from the md, nfs4 queues

- other random fixes and things we probably want to have in 2.6.12.

- I'd draw especial Linus attention to:

	"fix crash in entry.S restore_all" and
	"pci enumeration on ixp2000: overflow in kernel/resource.c"