* Re: [patch 23/38] mm/sparsemem: introduce struct mem_section_usage
       [not found] <20190718225757.ndUBg%akpm@linux-foundation.org>
@ 2019-07-19  6:13 ` Michal Hocko
From: Michal Hocko @ 2019-07-19  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akpm
  Cc: vbabka, toshi.kani, rppt, richardw.yang, pasha.tatashin,
	osalvador, logang, jmoyer, jglisse, jgg, jane.chu, hch, david,
	corbet, cai, aneesh.kumar, dan.j.williams, linux-kernel,
	mm-commits, torvalds

On Thu 18-07-19 15:57:57, Andrew Morton wrote:
> From: Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@intel.com>
> Subject: mm/sparsemem: introduce struct mem_section_usage
>
> Patch series "mm: Sub-section memory hotplug support", v10.

Has this been properly reviewed after the last rebase and is this
actually ready for merging? I have seen some follow up fixes
http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20190715081549.32577-1-osalvador@suse.de
and do not see those patches being in the pipe line. Or have they been
merged?
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs

* Re: [patch 23/38] mm/sparsemem: introduce struct mem_section_usage
@ 2019-07-19 16:42   ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2019-07-19 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Hocko
  Cc: Andrew Morton, Vlastimil Babka, toshi.kani, rppt, richardw.yang,
	pasha.tatashin, osalvador, logang, jmoyer, Jerome Glisse,
	Jason Gunthorpe, jane.chu, Christoph Hellwig, David Hildenbrand,
	Jonathan Corbet, Qian Cai, Aneesh Kumar K.V, Dan Williams,
	Linux List Kernel Mailing, mm-commits

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 11:13 PM Michal Hocko <mhocko@kernel.org> wrote:

> Has this been properly reviewed after the last rebase and is this
> actually ready for merging? I have seen some follow up fixes
> http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20190715081549.32577-1-osalvador@suse.de
> and do not see those patches being in the pipe line. Or have they been
> merged?

It looks to me from the patches that Andrew updated them with

  https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20190715081549.32577-2-osalvador@suse.de/

and

  https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20190718120543.GA8500@linux/

so it looks good to me.

But that's just from reading the patches, I might have missed
something and I don't see the history.

               Linus

* Re: [patch 23/38] mm/sparsemem: introduce struct mem_section_usage
@ 2019-07-19 19:27     ` Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2019-07-19 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Michal Hocko, Andrew Morton, Vlastimil Babka, Toshi Kani,
	Mike Rapoport, Wei Yang, Pavel Tatashin, Oscar Salvador,
	Logan Gunthorpe, jmoyer, Jerome Glisse, Jason Gunthorpe,
	Jane Chu, Christoph Hellwig, David Hildenbrand, Jonathan Corbet,
	Qian Cai, Aneesh Kumar K.V, Linux List Kernel Mailing,
	mm-commits

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 9:42 AM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 11:13 PM Michal Hocko <mhocko@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Has this been properly reviewed after the last rebase and is this
> > actually ready for merging? I have seen some follow up fixes
> > http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20190715081549.32577-1-osalvador@suse.de
> > and do not see those patches being in the pipe line. Or have they been
> > merged?
>
> It looks to me from the patches that Andrew updated them with
>
>   https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20190715081549.32577-2-osalvador@suse.de/
>
> and
>
>   https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20190718120543.GA8500@linux/
>
> so it looks good to me.
>
> But that's just from reading the patches, I might have missed
> something and I don't see the history.

I verified them. The rebase contents are identical to the manual merge
I did between my dev branch and hmm.git before sending them to Andrew.
So no lingering surprises that I can see.

* Re: [patch 23/38] mm/sparsemem: introduce struct mem_section_usage
@ 2019-07-22  5:46     ` Michal Hocko
From: Michal Hocko @ 2019-07-22  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Andrew Morton, Vlastimil Babka, toshi.kani, rppt, richardw.yang,

On Fri 19-07-19 09:42:18, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 11:13 PM Michal Hocko <mhocko@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Has this been properly reviewed after the last rebase and is this
> > actually ready for merging? I have seen some follow up fixes
> > http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20190715081549.32577-1-osalvador@suse.de
> > and do not see those patches being in the pipe line. Or have they been
> > merged?
>
> It looks to me from the patches that Andrew updated them with
>
>   https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20190715081549.32577-2-osalvador@suse.de/
>
> and
>
>   https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20190718120543.GA8500@linux/
>
> so it looks good to me.
>
> But that's just from reading the patches, I might have missed
> something and I don't see the history.

Thanks for double checking! It's good that follow up fixes didn't fall
through cracks. Anyway I have to say that I find merging shortly after a
non-trivial rebase as risky and rushed through. I am not really
convinced this is so urgent to warrant such a step.

I hoped to get to it eventually and give it a deeper review because this
is a non trivial stuff. I am sorry but I couldn't have done that yet
(busy with other stuff and being OOO for quite some time).
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs