* Link: documentation seems to be misplaced
@ 2019-12-12 13:50 Russell King - ARM Linux admin
From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin @ 2019-12-12 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij; +Cc: Jonathan Corbet, linux-kernel, linux-doc

Hi,

It seems that the documentation for the Link: attribute in commit
messages is misplaced in the Documentation/ subtree.

There are two workflows:

1) maintainer committing external patches that have come from a
   mailing list.

2) maintainer committing local patches that have been discussed on
   a mailing list.

While the current documentation seems to target initial setup for
new people becoming maintainers, but it is way less obvious for
existing maintainers or for case 2 - I came across this because I
wanted to add a Link: tag for a discussion on a patch I'd posted,
and could find nothing to describe it.  My grep for it failed:

  grep Link: Documentation/*/*ubmitting*

Surely, the format of the Link: tag should be documented in the
submitting-patches document with all the other attributations that
we define in a commit message, with a reference to that from
Documentation/maintainer/configure-git.rst ?

Thanks to Jiri Kosina for pointing out that it is in configure-git.rst.

FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up

* Re: Link: documentation seems to be misplaced
@ 2019-12-16  9:39 ` Linus Walleij
From: Linus Walleij @ 2019-12-16  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell King - ARM Linux admin

Hi Russell,

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 2:50 PM Russell King - ARM Linux admin
<linux@armlinux.org.uk> wrote:

> Surely, the format of the Link: tag should be documented in the
> submitting-patches document with all the other attributations that
> we define in a commit message, with a reference to that from
> Documentation/maintainer/configure-git.rst ?

I agree, so I sent a rough patch as a starting point so we get
something going here.

Yours,
Linus Walleij