* realpath "No such file or directory" warnings when building
@ 2020-08-08 20:28 Rustam Kovhaev
From: Rustam Kovhaev @ 2020-08-08 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xujialu, masahiroy
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Jonathan Corbet, Andrew Morton,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

tags from KBUILD_OUTPUT directory
running 'make ARCH=x86_64 COMPILED_SOURCE=1 cscope tags' in
KBUILD_OUTPUT directory produces lots of "No such file or directory"
warnings from realpath

it seems like commit 4f491bb6ea2a greatly improved tags generation when
COMPILED_SOURCE=1 is set, but should we add "-q" flag for realpath in
all_compiled_sources() or probably it would be better to fix root cause
and make sure that for example we don't try to find objtool sources and
exclude other similar dirs during tags generation? what do you think?

realpath: special.h: No such file or directory
realpath: warn.h: No such file or directory
realpath: sigchain.c: No such file or directory
realpath: sigchain.h: No such file or directory
realpath: orc_gen.c: No such file or directory
realpath: objtool.c: No such file or directory

* Re: realpath "No such file or directory" warnings when building
@ 2020-08-09  7:16 ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2020-08-09  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustam Kovhaev
  Cc: xujialu, masahiroy, Jonathan Corbet, Andrew Morton,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Sat, Aug 08, 2020 at 01:28:22PM -0700, Rustam Kovhaev wrote:
> tags from KBUILD_OUTPUT directory
> running 'make ARCH=x86_64 COMPILED_SOURCE=1 cscope tags' in
> KBUILD_OUTPUT directory produces lots of "No such file or directory"
> warnings from realpath
>
> it seems like commit 4f491bb6ea2a greatly improved tags generation when
> COMPILED_SOURCE=1 is set, but should we add "-q" flag for realpath in
> all_compiled_sources() or probably it would be better to fix root cause
> and make sure that for example we don't try to find objtool sources and
> exclude other similar dirs during tags generation? what do you think?

> realpath: special.h: No such file or directory
> realpath: warn.h: No such file or directory
> realpath: sigchain.c: No such file or directory
> realpath: sigchain.h: No such file or directory
> realpath: orc_gen.c: No such file or directory
> realpath: objtool.c: No such file or directory

Care to send a patch for this?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: realpath "No such file or directory" warnings when building tags from KBUILD_OUTPUT directory
@ 2020-08-09 21:00   ` Rustam Kovhaev
From: Rustam Kovhaev @ 2020-08-09 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman
  Cc: xujialu, masahiroy, Jonathan Corbet, Andrew Morton,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Sun, Aug 09, 2020 at 09:16:27AM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 08, 2020 at 01:28:22PM -0700, Rustam Kovhaev wrote:
> > running 'make ARCH=x86_64 COMPILED_SOURCE=1 cscope tags' in
> > KBUILD_OUTPUT directory produces lots of "No such file or directory"
> > warnings from realpath
> >
> > it seems like commit 4f491bb6ea2a greatly improved tags generation when
> > COMPILED_SOURCE=1 is set, but should we add "-q" flag for realpath in
> > all_compiled_sources() or probably it would be better to fix root cause
> > and make sure that for example we don't try to find objtool sources and
> > exclude other similar dirs during tags generation? what do you think?

> > realpath: special.h: No such file or directory
> > realpath: warn.h: No such file or directory
> > realpath: sigchain.c: No such file or directory
> > realpath: sigchain.h: No such file or directory
> > realpath: orc_gen.c: No such file or directory
> > realpath: objtool.c: No such file or directory
>
> Care to send a patch for this?
hi Greg, yes i do, thank you!