* [GIT PULL] Documentation for 5.10
@ 2020-10-12 19:30 Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2020-10-12 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: LKML, linux-doc

The following changes since commit
92001bc0365a144783f8f3108be94e74baf61011:

  Documentation: laptops: thinkpad-acpi: fix underline length build warning (2020-08-24 17:19:07 -0600)

are available in the Git repository at:

  git://git.lwn.net/linux.git tags/docs-5.10

for you to fetch changes up to 4fb220da0dd03d3699776220d86ac84b38941c0c:

  gpiolib: Update indentation in driver.rst for code excerpts (2020-10-12 13:15:34 -0600)

As hoped, things calmed down for docs this cycle; fewer changes and almost
no conflicts at all.  This pull includes:

 - A reworked and expanded user-mode Linux document
 - Some simplifications and improvements for submitting-patches.rst
 - An emergency fix for (some) problems with Sphinx 3.x
 - Some welcome automarkup improvements to automatically generate
   cross-references to struct definitions and other documents
 - The usual collection of translation updates, typo fixes, etc.

NOTE that there will be a largish  late-window pull request coming,
probably directly from Mauro.  Sphinx 3.x has broken a bunch of things,
which is obnoxious, though the end result is better; fixing the problems
requires a number of cross-tree documentation tweaks.  These are best done
toward the end to avoid creating unnecessary conflicts with other trees.

Andrew Cooper (1): docs/ia64: Drop obsolete Xen documentation

Andy Shevchenko (1):
      gpiolib: Update indentation in driver.rst for code excerpts

Anton Ivanov (1):
      docs: replace the old User Mode Linux HowTo with a new one

Bailu Lin (2):
      doc: zh_CN: index files in arm64 subdirectory
      Documentation: Chinese translation of Documentation/arm64/amu.rst

Barry Song (1):
      Documentation: core-api/cpu_hotplug: fix a typo

Bhaskar Chowdhury (4):
      docs: fb: Remove framebuffer scrollback boot option
      docs: fb: Remove matroxfb scrollback boot option
      docs: fb: Remove sstfb scrollback boot option
      docs: fb: Remove vesafb scrollback boot option

Coly Li (2):
      docs: trusted-encrypted.rst: update parameters for command examples
      bcache: doc: update Documentation/admin-guide/bcache.rst

Connor Kuehl (1):
      docs: kvm: fix referenced ioctl symbol

Dave Hansen (1):
      Documentation: clarify driver licensing rules

Denis Efremov (2):
      Documentation: remove current_security() reference
      docs: filesystems: replace to_dev() with kobj_to_dev()

Drew DeVault (4):
      submitting-patches.rst: remove heading numbering
      Documentation/process: expand plain-text advice
      Documentation/maintainer: rehome sign-off process
      submitting-patches.rst: presume git will be used

Gustavo A. R. Silva (1):
      docs: deprecated.rst: Update zero-length/one-element arrays section

Javier Garcia (1):
      Documentation: process: step 2: Link to email list fixed.

Joe Perches (1):
      deprecated.rst: Remove now removed uninitialized_var

John Hubbard (1):
      Documentation: better locations for sysfs-pci, sysfs-tagging

Jonathan Cameron (1):
      kernel-doc: add support for ____cacheline_aligned attribute

Jonathan Corbet (1):
      Make the docs build "work" with Sphinx 3.x

Jonathan Neuschäfer (2):
      MAINTAINERS: Add ubifs-authentication.rst to UBIFS
      docs: ubifs-authentication: Add a top-level heading

Krzysztof Kozlowski (1):
      docs: process: Add cross-link to security-bugs

Lars Poeschel (1):
      Documentation: iio: fix a typo

Li Qiang (1):
      Documentation: kvm: fix a typo

Mark Starovoytov (1):
      mailmap: add entry for <mstarovoitov@marvell.com>

Mauro Carvalho Chehab (14):
      .gitignore: docs: ignore sphinx_*/ directories
      kernel-doc: include line numbers for function prototypes
      docs: scheduler: fix the directory name on two files
      docs: trace: fix the location of kprobes.rst
      MAINTAINERS: fix location of qlogic/LICENSE.qla3xxx
      scripts: device_attr_show.cocci: update location of sysfs doc
      docs: add some new files to their respective index.rst files
      docs: watch_queue: fix some warnings
      docs: kvm: api.rst: add missing spaces
      docs: soundwire: fix some identation at stream.rst
      docs: dma-buf: fix some warnings
      docs: submitting-patches: use :doc: for references
      iio: iio.h: fix a warning at the kernel-doc markup
      docs: trace: ring-buffer-design.rst: use the new SPDX tag

Naoki Hayama (1):
      Documentation/admin-guide: tainted-kernels: Fix typo occured

NeilBrown (1):
      doc: seq_file: clarify role of *pos in ->next()

Nick Desaulniers (2):
      Documentation: add minimum clang/llvm version
      docs: programming-languages: refresh blurb on clang support

Nícolas F. R. A. Prado (5):
      docs: Add automatic cross-reference for C types
      kernel-doc: Update "cross-referencing from rST" section to use automarkup
      docs: Allow multiple automarkup functions
      docs: Add automatic cross-reference for documentation pages
      docs: Document cross-referencing between documentation pages

Ralph Campbell (2):
      mm/doc: editorial pass on page migration
      mm/doc: add usage description for migrate_vma_*()

Randy Dunlap (10):
      Documentation: submit-checklist: add clean builds for new Documentation
      Documentation: filesystems: mount_api: fix headings
      Documentation: kernel-parameters: fix formatting of MIPS "machtype"
      Documentation/admin-guide: kernel-parameters: fix "disable_ddw" wording
      Documentation/admin-guide: kernel-parameters: fix "io7" parameter description
      Documentation: admin-guide: kernel-parameters: reformat "lapic=" boot option
      Documentation/admin-guide: kernel-parameters: capitalize Korina
      Documentation/admin-guide: README & svga: remove use of "rdev"
      Documentation/admin-guide: blockdev/ramdisk: remove use of "rdev"
      Documentation: kernel-parameters: clarify "module." parameters

Satheesh Rajendran (1):
      Doc: admin-guide: Add entry for kvm_cma_resv_ratio kernel param

SeongJae Park (5):
      Documentation/kokr: bring process docs up to date
      Documentation/kokr/howto: Wordsmith
      docs/memory-barriers.txt: Fix references for DMA*.txt files
      docs/memory-barriers.txt/kokr: Remove remaining references to mmiowb()
      docs/memory-barriers.txt/kokr: Allow architecture to override the flush barrier

Stephen Boyd (1):
      docs: stable-ABI: Document /sys/kernel/notes

Stephen Kitt (3):
      docs: rewrite admin-guide/sysctl/abi.rst
      docs: rewrite admin-guide/sysctl/abi.rst
      Fix references to nommu-mmap.rst

Tian Tao (2):
      Documentation: arm64 also supports disable hugeiomap
      Documentation: Remove CMA's dependency on architecture

Wilken Gottwalt (1):
      documentation: arm: sunxi: Allwinner H2+/H3 update

lijiang (1):
      docs: admin-guide: update kdump documentation due to change of crash URL

 .gitignore                                         |    3 +
 .mailmap                                           |    1 +
 Documentation/ABI/stable/sysfs-kernel-notes        |    5 +
 Documentation/PCI/index.rst                        |    1 +
 Documentation/{filesystems => PCI}/sysfs-pci.rst   |    0
 Documentation/admin-guide/README.rst               |    6 +-
 Documentation/admin-guide/bcache.rst               |   31 +-
 Documentation/admin-guide/blockdev/ramdisk.rst     |   66 +-
 Documentation/admin-guide/cgroup-v1/cpusets.rst    |    2 +
 Documentation/admin-guide/kdump/kdump.rst          |    7 +-
 Documentation/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.txt    |   38 +-
 Documentation/admin-guide/svga.rst                 |    7 +-
 Documentation/admin-guide/sysctl/abi.rst           |   73 +-
 Documentation/admin-guide/tainted-kernels.rst      |    2 +-
 Documentation/arm/sunxi.rst                        |    2 +-
 Documentation/arm64/amu.rst                        |    2 +
 Documentation/arm64/index.rst                      |    2 +
 Documentation/conf.py                              |   15 +-
 Documentation/core-api/cpu_hotplug.rst             |    2 +-
 Documentation/doc-guide/kernel-doc.rst             |   33 +-
 Documentation/doc-guide/sphinx.rst                 |   17 +
 Documentation/driver-api/dma-buf.rst               |    2 +-
 Documentation/driver-api/gpio/driver.rst           |   12 +-
 Documentation/driver-api/nvdimm/index.rst          |    1 +
 Documentation/driver-api/soundwire/stream.rst      |    8 +-
 Documentation/fb/fbcon.rst                         |   21 +-
 Documentation/fb/matroxfb.rst                      |    2 -
 Documentation/fb/sstfb.rst                         |    3 -
 Documentation/fb/vesafb.rst                        |    2 -
 Documentation/filesystems/index.rst                |    2 -
 Documentation/filesystems/mount_api.rst            |    7 +-
 Documentation/filesystems/seq_file.rst             |   20 +-
 Documentation/filesystems/sysfs.rst                |    3 +-
 Documentation/filesystems/ubifs-authentication.rst |    6 +-
 Documentation/firmware-guide/acpi/index.rst        |    1 +
 Documentation/hwmon/index.rst                      |    1 +
 Documentation/ia64/index.rst                       |    1 -
 Documentation/ia64/xen.rst                         |  206 -
 Documentation/iio/iio_configfs.rst                 |    2 +-
 Documentation/kbuild/llvm.rst                      |    4 +
 Documentation/maintainer/index.rst                 |    1 +
 Documentation/maintainer/modifying-patches.rst     |   50 +
 Documentation/memory-barriers.txt                  |    8 +-
 Documentation/networking/index.rst                 |    1 +
 .../{filesystems => networking}/sysfs-tagging.rst  |    0
 Documentation/process/2.Process.rst                |    2 +-
 Documentation/process/changes.rst                  |   15 +
 Documentation/process/deprecated.rst               |   24 +-
 Documentation/process/email-clients.rst            |    5 +
 Documentation/process/programming-language.rst     |    9 +-
 Documentation/process/submit-checklist.rst         |    4 +
 Documentation/process/submitting-drivers.rst       |    9 +-
 Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst       |  280 +-
 Documentation/scheduler/sched-capacity.rst         |    2 +-
 Documentation/scheduler/sched-energy.rst           |    2 +-
 Documentation/security/credentials.rst             |    1 -
 Documentation/security/keys/trusted-encrypted.rst  |    5 +-
 Documentation/sphinx/automarkup.py                 |  137 +-
 Documentation/trace/kprobetrace.rst                |    2 +-
 Documentation/trace/ring-buffer-design.rst         |   26 +-
 Documentation/translations/ko_KR/howto.rst         |    9 +-
 .../translations/ko_KR/memory-barriers.txt         |   32 +-
 Documentation/translations/zh_CN/arm64/amu.rst     |  100 +
 Documentation/translations/zh_CN/arm64/index.rst   |   16 +
 .../translations/zh_CN/filesystems/sysfs.txt       |    3 +-
 Documentation/translations/zh_CN/index.rst         |    1 +
 Documentation/virt/index.rst                       |    2 +-
 Documentation/virt/kvm/amd-memory-encryption.rst   |    6 +-
 Documentation/virt/kvm/api.rst                     |    4 +-
 Documentation/virt/kvm/cpuid.rst                   |    2 +-
 Documentation/virt/uml/user_mode_linux.rst         | 4403 --------------------
 .../virt/uml/user_mode_linux_howto_v2.rst          | 1208 ++++++
 Documentation/vm/hmm.rst                           |  139 +-
 Documentation/vm/index.rst                         |    1 +
 Documentation/vm/page_migration.rst                |  164 +-
 Documentation/watch_queue.rst                      |   14 +-
 MAINTAINERS                                        |    3 +-
 include/linux/iio/iio.h                            |    2 +-
 init/Kconfig                                       |    2 +-
 mm/Kconfig                                         |    2 +-
 mm/nommu.c                                         |    2 +-
 samples/kprobes/kprobe_example.c                   |    2 +-
 samples/kprobes/kretprobe_example.c                |    2 +-
 scripts/coccinelle/api/device_attr_show.cocci      |    2 +-
 scripts/kernel-doc                                 |    5 +-
 create mode 100644 Documentation/ABI/stable/sysfs-kernel-notes
 rename Documentation/{filesystems => PCI}/sysfs-pci.rst (100%)
 delete mode 100644 Documentation/ia64/xen.rst
 create mode 100644 Documentation/maintainer/modifying-patches.rst
 rename Documentation/{filesystems => networking}/sysfs-tagging.rst (100%)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/translations/zh_CN/arm64/amu.rst
 create mode 100644 Documentation/translations/zh_CN/arm64/index.rst
 delete mode 100644 Documentation/virt/uml/user_mode_linux.rst
 create mode 100644 Documentation/virt/uml/user_mode_linux_howto_v2.rst

* Re: [GIT PULL] Documentation for 5.10
@ 2020-10-12 23:50 ` pr-tracker-bot
From: pr-tracker-bot @ 2020-10-12 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, LKML, linux-doc

The pull request you sent on Mon, 12 Oct 2020 13:30:42 -0600:

> git://git.lwn.net/linux.git tags/docs-5.10

has been merged into torvalds/linux.git:
https://git.kernel.org/torvalds/c/50d228345a03c882dfe11928ab41b42458b3f922

Thank you!

--
Deet-doot-dot, I am a bot.
https://korg.docs.kernel.org/prtracker.html

* Re: [GIT PULL] Documentation for 5.10
@ 2020-10-13  8:49 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2020-10-13  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: Jonathan Corbet, LKML, linux-doc, Stephen Rothwell

Hi Linus,

Em Mon, 12 Oct 2020 13:30:42 -0600
Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net> escreveu:

> As hoped, things calmed down for docs this cycle; fewer changes and almost
> no conflicts at all.  This pull includes:
>
>  - A reworked and expanded user-mode Linux document
>  - Some simplifications and improvements for submitting-patches.rst
>  - An emergency fix for (some) problems with Sphinx 3.x
>  - Some welcome automarkup improvements to automatically generate
>    cross-references to struct definitions and other documents
>  - The usual collection of translation updates, typo fixes, etc.
>
> NOTE that there will be a largish  late-window pull request coming,
> probably directly from Mauro.  Sphinx 3.x has broken a bunch of things,
> which is obnoxious, though the end result is better; fixing the problems
> requires a number of cross-tree documentation tweaks.  These are best done
> toward the end to avoid creating unnecessary conflicts with other trees.

I double-checked: after having both docs and media tree pulled upstream,
80% of the patches should apply cleanly.

So, I just merged the ones that apply cleanly at my -next tree:

	https://git.linuxtv.org/mchehab/media-next.git/ (master branch)

If everything goes well on tomorrow's next, I'll send you a pull request
with those.

The other ones depend on merges from DRM, hwmon and other
trees. So, I'll keep rebasing them and should be sending you a late
PR by the end of the merge window, fixing the remaining doc issues.

We're aiming to have zero documentation warnings by
the end of the merge window, when built with Sphinx 2.x,
and just a handful set of warnings with Sphinx 3.1+[1].

[1] One of the limitations of Sphinx C cross-reference code,
    up to its latest version, is that it doesn't allow to have
    both a function called "foo" and a struct or enum also called
    "foo".

    With Sphinx < 3, this doesn't generate warnings, but it still
    cause troubles with cross-references. Sphinx 3.x warns
    about name clashes, but the bug was not solved yet upstream.
    They're working on Sphinx to fix that in the future:

	https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/8241
	https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/7819

Thanks,
Mauro

* Re: [GIT PULL] Documentation for 5.10
@ 2020-10-13  9:58   ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2020-10-13  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, Jonathan Corbet, LKML, linux-doc

Hi Mauro,

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 10:49:50 +0200 Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+huawei@kernel.org> wrote:

> If everything goes well on tomorrow's next, I'll send you a pull request
> with those.

Sorry, bad timing, but there won't be a linux-next tomorrow (I have a
day off).

> The other ones depend on merges from DRM, hwmon and other
> trees. So, I'll keep rebasing them and should be sending you a late
> PR by the end of the merge window, fixing the remaining doc issues.
>
> We're aiming to have zero documentation warnings by
> the end of the merge window, when built with Sphinx 2.x,

That would be nice.  I am still getting about 35-40 each day.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: [GIT PULL] Documentation for 5.10
@ 2020-10-13 10:21     ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2020-10-13 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, Jonathan Corbet, LKML, linux-doc

Em Tue, 13 Oct 2020 20:58:56 +1100
Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> escreveu:

> Hi Mauro,
>
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 10:49:50 +0200 Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+huawei@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > If everything goes well on tomorrow's next, I'll send you a pull request
> > with those.
>
> Sorry, bad timing, but there won't be a linux-next tomorrow (I have a
> day off).

No problem. I'll then do it on Thursday. Enjoy your day off!

> > The other ones depend on merges from DRM, hwmon and other
> > trees. So, I'll keep rebasing them and should be sending you a late
> > PR by the end of the merge window, fixing the remaining doc issues.
> >
> > We're aiming to have zero documentation warnings by
> > the end of the merge window, when built with Sphinx 2.x,
>
> That would be nice.  I am still getting about 35-40 each day.

Yeah, currently the warnings are so polluted that it is hard
for developers to see new ones.

Btw, after rebasing the remaining fixes on today's next, there
are a few new warnings:

	build succeeded, 7 warnings.

Hopefully this will be solved soon, after we merge those
fixes upstream, as it will make easier to detect new
ones early and should help maintainers to enforce a cleaner
build.

Thanks,
Mauro