* linux-next: build failure after merge of the pm tree
@ 2020-12-09  9:57 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2020-12-09  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki
  Cc: Jonathan Corbet, Hans de Goede, Mark Pearson,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List

Hi all,

After merging the pm tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs) failed
like this:

Sphinx parallel build error:
docutils.utils.SystemMessage: /home/sfr/next/next/Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-platform_profile.rst:1: (SEVERE/4) Missing matching underline for section title overline.

 Platform Profile Selection (e.g. :ref:`\/sys\/firmware\/acpi\/platform_profile <abi_sys_firmware_acpi_platform_profile>`)

Caused by commit

  ff950bebd0e0 ("Documentation: Add documentation for new platform_profile sysfs attribute")

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: [External] linux-next: build failure after merge of the pm tree
@ 2020-12-09 13:56 ` Mark Pearson
From: Mark Pearson @ 2020-12-09 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell, Rafael J. Wysocki
	Linux Next Mailing List

On 09/12/2020 04:57, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After merging the pm tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs) failed
> like this:
>
> Sphinx parallel build error:
> docutils.utils.SystemMessage: /home/sfr/next/next/Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-platform_profile.rst:1: (SEVERE/4) Missing matching underline for section title overline.

>  Platform Profile Selection (e.g. :ref:`\/sys\/firmware\/acpi\/platform_profile <abi_sys_firmware_acpi_platform_profile>`)
>
> Caused by commit
>
>   ff950bebd0e0 ("Documentation: Add documentation for new platform_profile sysfs attribute")

My apologies - I hadn't run the 'make htmldocs' command so I missed this
one.

I've been able to reproduce the error and fix the error. I do see:
   WARNING: document isn't included in any toctree
but I think this is benign - I believe I'm getting it just because I
converted the file to .rst (as requested by Andy Shevchenko). If this is
important and needs to be addressed urgently as well let me know.

Rafael - I want to run a couple more sanity tests and will push the
update for this (with the other fixes for the platform_profile.c code)
for review later today.

Thanks
Mark

* Re: [External] linux-next: build failure after merge of the pm tree
@ 2020-12-09 14:33   ` Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2020-12-09 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Pearson
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Rafael J. Wysocki, Hans de Goede,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 08:56:31 -0500
Mark Pearson <markpearson@lenovo.com> wrote:

> I do see:
>    WARNING: document isn't included in any toctree
> but I think this is benign - I believe I'm getting it just because I
> converted the file to .rst (as requested by Andy Shevchenko). If this is
> important and needs to be addressed urgently as well let me know.

Normally this is solved by adding the newly created document to the
index.rst file in the same directory.

There isn't one in Documentation/ABI/testing, though; in fact, there are
no RST files there.  Files in Documentation/ABI are in a special format
that is processed into RST during the docs build.  If we want to add
information outside of any specific ABI entry there, we're going to have
to decide how we want to do that.  It may well be, though, that the
introductory information just belongs in the admin guide instead.

Thanks,

jon

* Re: [External] linux-next: build failure after merge of the pm tree
@ 2020-12-09 15:04     ` Mark Pearson
From: Mark Pearson @ 2020-12-09 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Rafael J. Wysocki, Hans de Goede,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List

Hi Jon,

On 09/12/2020 09:33, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 08:56:31 -0500 Mark Pearson
> <markpearson@lenovo.com> wrote:
>
>> I do see: WARNING: document isn't included in any toctree but I
>> think this is benign - I believe I'm getting it just because I
>> converted the file to .rst (as requested by Andy Shevchenko). If
>> this is important and needs to be addressed urgently as well let me
>> know.
>
> Normally this is solved by adding the newly created document to the
> index.rst file in the same directory.
>
> There isn't one in Documentation/ABI/testing, though; in fact, there
> are no RST files there.  Files in Documentation/ABI are in a special
> format that is processed into RST during the docs build.  If we want
> to add information outside of any specific ABI entry there, we're
> going to have to decide how we want to do that.  It may well be,
> though, that the introductory information just belongs in the admin
> guide instead.

Should I just revert this file to plain text format?

I converted it to rst (as was requested) but I'm wondering if I'm just
causing a bunch of headaches and people are going to be cursing the one
weird random rst file in that directory going forwards :)

Mark

* Re: [External] linux-next: build failure after merge of the pm tree
@ 2020-12-10  0:24       ` Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2020-12-10  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Pearson
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Rafael J. Wysocki, Hans de Goede,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 10:04:22 -0500
Mark Pearson <markpearson@lenovo.com> wrote:

> On 09/12/2020 09:33, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 08:56:31 -0500 Mark Pearson
> > <markpearson@lenovo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I do see: WARNING: document isn't included in any toctree but I
> >> think this is benign - I believe I'm getting it just because I
> >> converted the file to .rst (as requested by Andy Shevchenko). If
> >> this is important and needs to be addressed urgently as well let me
> >> know.
> >
> > Normally this is solved by adding the newly created document to the
> > index.rst file in the same directory.
> >
> > There isn't one in Documentation/ABI/testing, though; in fact, there
> > are no RST files there.  Files in Documentation/ABI are in a special
> > format that is processed into RST during the docs build.  If we want
> > to add information outside of any specific ABI entry there, we're
> > going to have to decide how we want to do that.  It may well be,
> > though, that the introductory information just belongs in the admin
> > guide instead.
> >

> Should I just revert this file to plain text format?
>
> I converted it to rst (as was requested) but I'm wondering if I'm just
> causing a bunch of headaches and people are going to be cursing the one
> weird random rst file in that directory going forwards :)

No, not quite; stuff in the ABI directory should be in the special format
used there.  You're partway there, but the free text outside of the
entries itself doesn't belong there.  I'd split the file, moving the free
text to an RST file, probably in the admin guide.  The actual ABI entry
information stays in the file you've added now.

Thanks,

jon