From: "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@kernel.org>
To: Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu>
Cc: "Björn Töpel" <bjorn.topel@gmail.com>, bpf <bpf@vger.kernel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	parri.andrea@gmail.com, "Will Deacon" <will@kernel.org>,
	"Peter Zijlstra" <peterz@infradead.org>,
	boqun.feng@gmail.com, npiggin@gmail.com, dhowells@redhat.com,
	j.alglave@ucl.ac.uk, luc.maranget@inria.fr, akiyks@gmail.com,
	dlustig@nvidia.com, joel@joelfernandes.org,
	"Toke Høiland-Jørgensen" <toke@redhat.com>,
	"Karlsson, Magnus" <magnus.karlsson@intel.com>
Subject: Re: XDP socket rings, and LKMM litmus tests
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 09:40:22 -0800	[thread overview]

On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 12:12:21PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 03:50:19PM -0800, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 04:14:46PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
>
> > > This result is wrong, apparently because of a bug in herd7.  There
> > > should be control dependencies from each of the two loads in P0 to each
> > > of the two stores, but herd7 doesn't detect them.
> > >
> > > Maybe Luc can find some time to check whether this really is a bug and
> > > if it is, fix it.
> >
> > I agree that herd7's control dependency tracking could be improved.
> >
> > But sadly, it is currently doing exactly what I asked Luc to make it do,
> > which is to confine the control dependency to its "if" statement.  But as
> > usual I wasn't thinking globally enough.  And I am not exactly sure what
> > to ask for.  Here a store to a local was control-dependency ordered after
> > a read, and so that should propagate to a read from that local variable.
> > Maybe treat local variables as if they were registers, so that from
> > herd7's viewpoint the READ_ONCE()s are able to head control-dependency
> > chains in multiple "if" statements?
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Local variables absolutely should be treated just like CPU registers, if
> possible.  In fact, the compiler has the option of keeping local
> variables stored in registers.
>
> (Of course, things may get complicated if anyone writes a litmus test
> that uses a pointer to a local variable,  Especially if the pointer
> could hold the address of a local variable in one execution and a
> shared variable in another!  Or if the pointer is itself a shared
> variable and is dereferenced in another thread!)

Good point!  I did miss this complication.  ;-)

As you say, when its address is taken, the "local" variable needs to be
treated as is it were shared.  There are exceptions where the pointed-to
local is still used only by its process.  Are any of these exceptions
problematic?

> But even if local variables are treated as non-shared storage locations,
> we should still handle this correctly.  Part of the problem seems to lie
> in the definition of the to-r dependency relation; the relevant portion
> is:
>
> 	(dep ; [Marked] ; rfi)
>
> Here dep is the control dependency from the READ_ONCE to the
> local-variable store, and the rfi refers to the following load of the
> local variable.  The problem is that the store to the local variable
> doesn't go in the Marked class, because it is notated as a plain C
> assignment.  (And likewise for the following load.)
>
> Should we change the model to make loads from and stores to local
> variables always count as Marked?

As long as the initial (possibly unmarked) load would be properly
complained about.  And I cannot immediately think of a situation where
this approach would break that would not result in a data race being
flagged.  Or is this yet another failure of my imagination?

> What should have happened if the local variable were instead a shared
> variable which the other thread didn't access at all?  It seems like a
> weak point of the memory model that it treats these two things
> differently.

But is this really any different than the situation where a global
variable is only accessed by a single thread?

							Thanx, Paul