* Re: using deprecated initrd support, will be removed in 2021
       [not found] <CAKaHn9KMef4ahpEFEYiS+V2CnJSDK_w+MWLfPkgUb_+vJEGH4Q@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-03-04  8:13 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2021-03-04  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Art Nikpal; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, linux-kernel

On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 05:18:05PM +0800, Art Nikpal wrote:
> hello Christoph
> i have see your patch https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/7/14/1508
> /* using deprecated initrd support, will be removed in 2021*/
>
> How can I clarify the situation ?!
>
> im using squashfs as ramdisk / all system works  as all in ram kernel +
> initrd (squashfs)
> and i think it's very useful  - how can we replace it ?

With a simple initramfs, you should be able to chose the same compression
algorithms as you do for squashfs right now and generate a better image.

> and another question:  why need to remove it - if it works fine ?

It causes a fair amount of maintainance burden in the kernel, and also
is less efficient for the user.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-03-04  8:14 UTC | newest]