* Re: Documentation/memory-barriers.txt: Is "stores are not speculated" correct?
       [not found] <20210426022309.2333D4640475@webmail.sinamail.sina.com.cn>
@ 2021-04-26  3:50 ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2021-04-26  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: szyhb810501.student
  Cc: stern, parri.andrea, will, peterz, boqun.feng, npiggin, dhowells,
	j.alglave, luc.maranget, linux-kernel

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 10:23:09AM +0800, szyhb810501.student@sina.com wrote:

> Hello everyone, I have a question."Documentation/memory-barriers.txt"
> says:However, stores are not speculated.  This means that ordering -is-
> providedfor load-store control dependencies, as in the following example:
	q = READ_ONCE(a);
	if (q) {
		WRITE_ONCE(b, 1);
	}
> Is "stores are not speculated" correct? I
> think store instructions can be executed speculatively.
> "https://stackoverflow.com/questions/64141366/can-a-speculatively-executed-cpu-branch-contain-opcodes-that-access-ram"
> says:Store instructions can also be executed speculatively thanks to the
> store buffer. The actual execution of a store just writes the address and
> data into the store buffer.Commit to L1d cache happens some time after
> the store instruction retires from the ROB, i.e. when the store is known
> to be non-speculative, the associated store-buffer entry "graduates"
> and becomes eligible to commit to cache and become globally visible.

From the viewpoint of other CPUs, the store hasn't really happened
until it finds its way into a cacheline.  As you yourself note above,
if the store is still in the store buffer, it might be squashed when
speculation fails.

So Documentation/memory-barriers.txt and that stackoverflow entry are
not really in conflict, but are instead using words a bit differently
from each other.  The stackoverflow entry is considering a store to have
in some sense happened during a time when it might later be squashed.
In contrast, the Documentation/memory-barriers.txt document only considers
a store to have completed once it is visible outside of the CPU executing
that store.

So from a stackoverflow viewpoint, stores can be speculated, but until
they are finalized, they must be hidden from other CPUs.

From a Documentation/memory-barriers.txt viewpoint, stores don't complete
until they update their cachelines, and stores may not be speculated.
Some of the actions that lead up to the completion of a store may be
speculated, but not the completion of the store itself.

Different words, but same effect.  Welcome to our world!  ;-)

							Thanx, Paul

* Re: Documentation/memory-barriers.txt: Is "stores are not speculated" correct?
@ 2021-04-26  9:30   ` Luc Maranget
From: Luc Maranget @ 2021-04-26  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul E. McKenney
  Cc: szyhb810501.student, stern, parri.andrea, will, peterz,
	boqun.feng, npiggin, dhowells, j.alglave, linux-kernel

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 10:23:09AM +0800, szyhb810501.student@sina.com wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone, I have a question."Documentation/memory-barriers.txt"
> > says:However, stores are not speculated.  This means that ordering -is-
> > providedfor load-store control dependencies, as in the following example:
> 	q = READ_ONCE(a);
> 	if (q) {
> 		WRITE_ONCE(b, 1);
> 	}
> > Is "stores are not speculated" correct? I
> > think store instructions can be executed speculatively.
> > "https://stackoverflow.com/questions/64141366/can-a-speculatively-executed-cpu-branch-contain-opcodes-that-access-ram"
> > says:Store instructions can also be executed speculatively thanks to the
> > store buffer. The actual execution of a store just writes the address and
> > data into the store buffer.Commit to L1d cache happens some time after
> > the store instruction retires from the ROB, i.e. when the store is known
> > to be non-speculative, the associated store-buffer entry "graduates"
> > and becomes eligible to commit to cache and become globally visible.
>
> >From the viewpoint of other CPUs, the store hasn't really happened
> until it finds its way into a cacheline.  As you yourself note above,
> if the store is still in the store buffer, it might be squashed when
> speculation fails.
>
> So Documentation/memory-barriers.txt and that stackoverflow entry are
> not really in conflict, but are instead using words a bit differently
> from each other.  The stackoverflow entry is considering a store to have
> in some sense happened during a time when it might later be squashed.
> In contrast, the Documentation/memory-barriers.txt document only considers
> a store to have completed once it is visible outside of the CPU executing
> that store.
>
> So from a stackoverflow viewpoint, stores can be speculated, but until
> they are finalized, they must be hidden from other CPUs.
>
> >From a Documentation/memory-barriers.txt viewpoint, stores don't complete
> until they update their cachelines, and stores may not be speculated.
> Some of the actions that lead up to the completion of a store may be
> speculated, but not the completion of the store itself.
>
> Different words, but same effect.  Welcome to our world!  ;-)
>
> 							Thanx, Paul

Hi all,

Here is a complement to Paul's excellent answer.

The "CPU-local" speculation of stores can be observed
by the following test (in C11)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

C PPOCA

{}

P0(volatile int* y, volatile int* x) {

  atomic_store(x,1);
  atomic_store(y,1);

}

P1(volatile int* z, volatile int* y, volatile int* x) {

  int r1=-1; int r2=-1;
  int r0 = atomic_load_explicit(y,memory_order_relaxed);
  if (r0) {
    atomic_store_explicit(z,1,memory_order_relaxed);
    r1 = atomic_load_explicit(z,memory_order_relaxed);
    r2 = atomic_load_explicit(x+(r1 & 128),memory_order_relaxed);
  }

}

This is a variation on the MP test.

Because of tht conditionnal "if (..) { S }" Statements "S" can be executed
speculatively.

More precisely, the store statement writes value 1 into the CPU local
structure for variable z. The next load statement reads the value,
and the last load statement can be peformed (speculatively)
as its address is known.

The resulting outcomme is observed for instance on a RaspBerry Pi3,
see attached file.

--Luc

* Re: Documentation/memory-barriers.txt: Is "stores are not speculated" correct?
@ 2021-04-26 15:13     ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2021-04-26 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luc Maranget, Paul E. McKenney
  Cc: szyhb810501.student, stern, parri.andrea, will, peterz,

On 4/26/21 2:30 AM, Luc Maranget wrote:
> [...]
>
> P1(volatile int* z, volatile int* y, volatile int* x) {
>
>   int r1=-1; int r2=-1;
>   int r0 = atomic_load_explicit(y,memory_order_relaxed);
>   if (r0) {
>     atomic_store_explicit(z,1,memory_order_relaxed);
>     r1 = atomic_load_explicit(z,memory_order_relaxed);
>     r2 = atomic_load_explicit(x+(r1 & 128),memory_order_relaxed);
>   }
>
> }
>

> This is a variation on the MP test.
>
> Because of tht conditionnal "if (..) { S }" Statements "S" can be executed
> speculatively.
>
> More precisely, the store statement writes value 1 into the CPU local
> structure for variable z. The next load statement reads the value,
> and the last load statement can be peformed (speculatively)
> as its address is known.
>
> The resulting outcomme is observed for instance on a RaspBerry Pi3,

?attached file?

--
~Randy

* Re: Documentation/memory-barriers.txt: Is "stores are not speculated" correct?
@ 2021-04-26 15:16       ` maranget
From: maranget @ 2021-04-26 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap
  Cc: Paul E. McKenney, szyhb810501.student, stern, parri.andrea, will,
	peterz, boqun.feng, npiggin, dhowells, j.alglave, linux-kernel

> On 26 Apr 2021, at 17:13, Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org> wrote:

>>> 	q = READ_ONCE(a);
>>> 	if (q) {
>>> 		WRITE_ONCE(b, 1);
>>> 	}

>>> until it finds its way into a cacheline.  As you yourself note above,
>>> if the store is still in the store buffer, it might be squashed when
>>> speculation fails.
>>>
>>> So Documentation/memory-barriers.txt and that stackoverflow entry are
>>> not really in conflict, but are instead using words a bit differently
>>> from each other.  The stackoverflow entry is considering a store to have
>>> in some sense happened during a time when it might later be squashed.
>>> In contrast, the Documentation/memory-barriers.txt document only considers
>>> a store to have completed once it is visible outside of the CPU executing
>>> that store.
>>>
>>> So from a stackoverflow viewpoint, stores can be speculated, but until
>>> they are finalized, they must be hidden from other CPUs.

>>> until they update their cachelines, and stores may not be speculated.
>>> Some of the actions that lead up to the completion of a store may be
>>> speculated, but not the completion of the store itself.
>>>
>>> Different words, but same effect.  Welcome to our world!  ;-)
>>>
>>> 							Thanx, Paul
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Here is a complement to Paul's excellent answer.
>>
>> The "CPU-local" speculation of stores can be observed
>> by the following test (in C11)
>>
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>
>> C PPOCA
>>
>> {}
>>
>> P0(volatile int* y, volatile int* x) {
>>
>>  atomic_store(x,1);
>>  atomic_store(y,1);
>>
>> }
>>
>> P1(volatile int* z, volatile int* y, volatile int* x) {
>>
>>  int r1=-1; int r2=-1;
>>  int r0 = atomic_load_explicit(y,memory_order_relaxed);
>>  if (r0) {
>>    atomic_store_explicit(z,1,memory_order_relaxed);
>>    r1 = atomic_load_explicit(z,memory_order_relaxed);
>>    r2 = atomic_load_explicit(x+(r1 & 128),memory_order_relaxed);
>>  }
>>
>> }
>>

>> This is a variation on the MP test.
>>
>> Because of tht conditionnal "if (..) { S }" Statements "S" can be executed
>> speculatively.
>>
>> More precisely, the store statement writes value 1 into the CPU local
>> structure for variable z. The next load statement reads the value,
>> and the last load statement can be peformed (speculatively)
>> as its address is known.
>>
>> The resulting outcomme is observed for instance on a RaspBerry Pi3,
>> see attached file.
>
> ?attached file?
>
> --
> ~Randy

Oups, sorry I forgot the attachement:

—Luc

[-- Attachment #2: LOG.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1483 bytes --]

Mon Apr 26 09:07:19 UTC 2021
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Results for PPOCA.litmus %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
C PPOCA

{}

P0(volatile int* y, volatile int* x) {

  atomic_store(x,1);
  atomic_store(y,1);

}

P1(volatile int* z, volatile int* y, volatile int* x) {

  int r1=-1; int r2=-1;
  int r0 = atomic_load_explicit(y,memory_order_relaxed);
  if (r0) {
    atomic_store_explicit(z,1,memory_order_relaxed);
    r1 = atomic_load_explicit(z,memory_order_relaxed);
    r2 = atomic_load_explicit(x+(r1 & 128),memory_order_relaxed);
  }

}

exists (1:r0=1 /\ 1:r1=1 /\ 1:r2=0)

Histogram (3 states)
11057696:>1:r0=0; 1:r1=-1; 1:r2=-1;
2     *>1:r0=1; 1:r1=1; 1:r2=0;
8942302:>1:r0=1; 1:r1=1; 1:r2=1;
Ok

Witnesses
Positive: 2, Negative: 19999998
Condition exists (1:r0=1 /\ 1:r1=1 /\ 1:r2=0) is validated
Hash=bb2426936c19f1555410d1483dd31452
Observation PPOCA Sometimes 2 19999998
Time PPOCA 3.30
Revision 45690d9d0f7a956a6d3dbaf9e912efb22835756e, version 7.56+02~dev
Command line: litmus7 -mach vougeot -c11 true -o R.tar PPOCA.litmus
Parameters
#define SIZE_OF_TEST 10000
#define NUMBER_OF_RUN 100
#define AVAIL 4
#define STRIDE 1
#define MAX_LOOP 0
/* gcc options: -Wall -std=gnu11 -O2 -pthread */
/* barrier: userfence */
/* launch: changing */
/* affinity: none */
/* alloc: dynamic */
/* memory: direct */
/* stride: 1 */
/* safer: write */
/* preload: random */
/* speedcheck: no */
/* proc used: 4 */
GCC=gcc
LITMUSOPTS=-s 5k -r 2k -st 1
Mon Apr 26 09:07:23 UTC 2021

* Re: Documentation/memory-barriers.txt: Is "stores are not speculated" correct?
@ 2021-04-26 15:34         ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2021-04-26 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: maranget
  Cc: Randy Dunlap, szyhb810501.student, stern, parri.andrea, will,

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 05:16:15PM +0200, maranget wrote:

> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Here is a complement to Paul's excellent answer.
> >>
> >> The "CPU-local" speculation of stores can be observed
> >> by the following test (in C11)
> >>
> >> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> >>
> >> C PPOCA
> >>
> >> {}
> >>
> >> P0(volatile int* y, volatile int* x) {
> >>
> >>  atomic_store(x,1);
> >>  atomic_store(y,1);
> >>
> >> }
> >>
> >> P1(volatile int* z, volatile int* y, volatile int* x) {
> >>
> >>  int r1=-1; int r2=-1;
> >>  int r0 = atomic_load_explicit(y,memory_order_relaxed);
> >>  if (r0) {
> >>    atomic_store_explicit(z,1,memory_order_relaxed);
> >>    r1 = atomic_load_explicit(z,memory_order_relaxed);
> >>    r2 = atomic_load_explicit(x+(r1 & 128),memory_order_relaxed);
> >>  }
> >>
> >> }
> >>

> >> This is a variation on the MP test.
> >>
> >> Because of tht conditionnal "if (..) { S }" Statements "S" can be executed
> >> speculatively.
> >>
> >> More precisely, the store statement writes value 1 into the CPU local
> >> structure for variable z. The next load statement reads the value,
> >> and the last load statement can be peformed (speculatively)
> >> as its address is known.
> >>
> >> The resulting outcomme is observed for instance on a RaspBerry Pi3,
> >> see attached file.
> >
> > ?attached file?
> >
> > --
> > ~Randy
> >

> Oups, sorry I forgot the attachement:
>
> —Luc

> Mon Apr 26 09:07:19 UTC 2021
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> % Results for PPOCA.litmus %
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> C PPOCA
>
> {}
>
> P0(volatile int* y, volatile int* x) {
>
>   atomic_store(x,1);
>   atomic_store(y,1);
>
> }
>
> P1(volatile int* z, volatile int* y, volatile int* x) {
>
>   int r1=-1; int r2=-1;
>   int r0 = atomic_load_explicit(y,memory_order_relaxed);
>   if (r0) {
>     atomic_store_explicit(z,1,memory_order_relaxed);
>     r1 = atomic_load_explicit(z,memory_order_relaxed);
>     r2 = atomic_load_explicit(x+(r1 & 128),memory_order_relaxed);
>   }
>
> }
>

> exists (1:r0=1 /\ 1:r1=1 /\ 1:r2=0)
>
> Histogram (3 states)