* Typical PREEMPT_RT .config?
@ 2022-04-04 23:16 Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2022-04-04 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bigeasy, rostedt; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hello!

OK, now that PREEMPT_RT is mostly into mainline, I should probably create
an rcutorture scenario more closely reflecting it.  The closest at the
moment is probably tools/testing/selftests/rcutorture/configs/rcu/TREE03,
but I figured that before beating on it I should check to see if you
already have a PREEMPT_RT rcutorture scenario file.

Thoughts?

							Thanx, Paul

* Re: Typical PREEMPT_RT .config?
@ 2022-04-05 13:40 ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2022-04-05 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul E. McKenney; +Cc: bigeasy, linux-kernel

On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 16:16:54 -0700
"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@kernel.org> wrote:

> OK, now that PREEMPT_RT is mostly into mainline, I should probably create
> an rcutorture scenario more closely reflecting it.  The closest at the
> moment is probably tools/testing/selftests/rcutorture/configs/rcu/TREE03,
> but I figured that before beating on it I should check to see if you
> already have a PREEMPT_RT rcutorture scenario file.

I don't have one.

-- Steve

* Re: Typical PREEMPT_RT .config?
@ 2022-04-05 13:42   ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2022-04-05 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul E. McKenney; +Cc: bigeasy, linux-kernel

On Tue, 5 Apr 2022 09:40:48 -0400
Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 16:16:54 -0700
> "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@kernel.org> wrote:
>
> > OK, now that PREEMPT_RT is mostly into mainline, I should probably create
> > an rcutorture scenario more closely reflecting it.  The closest at the
> > moment is probably tools/testing/selftests/rcutorture/configs/rcu/TREE03,
> > but I figured that before beating on it I should check to see if you
> > already have a PREEMPT_RT rcutorture scenario file.
>
> I don't have one.

And now reading the subject line and not just the body, are you asking
about what configs are normally added? I had several I used for testing,
but will have to go back and look at them.

-- Steve

* Re: Typical PREEMPT_RT .config?
@ 2022-04-05 14:57     ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2022-04-05 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt; +Cc: bigeasy, linux-kernel

On Tue, Apr 05, 2022 at 09:42:02AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2022 09:40:48 -0400
> Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 16:16:54 -0700
> > "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > > OK, now that PREEMPT_RT is mostly into mainline, I should probably create
> > > an rcutorture scenario more closely reflecting it.  The closest at the
> > > moment is probably tools/testing/selftests/rcutorture/configs/rcu/TREE03,
> > > but I figured that before beating on it I should check to see if you
> > > already have a PREEMPT_RT rcutorture scenario file.
> >
> > I don't have one.
>
> And now reading the subject line and not just the body, are you asking
> about what configs are normally added? I had several I used for testing,
> but will have to go back and look at them.

That would be great!  I can easily add CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT=y.  Maybe I also
should add CONFIG_RT_DELAYED_SIGNALS, though rcutorture probably doesn't
care about this one.  Maybe threaded interrupts happen automatically?
Sleeping spinlocks?

If no advice is forthcoming, I will make something up based on my best
guesses, but I guarantee you that this will result in me missing important
bugs in my testing.  ;-)

So it would be great to have a list of the Kconfig options normally
selected when building CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT=y kernels.

							Thanx, Paul