* linux-next: wireless for-next branches
@ 2022-05-27  8:58 Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2022-05-27  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-wireless, linux-kernel

Hi Stephen,

We are experimenting how we could take "next-next" patches during merge
windows and avoid accumulation of patches for the period which is in
practice three weeks for wireless patches. To do that could you please
change linux-next to pull from wireless trees for-next branches instead
of main branches? So the new locations are:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wireless/wireless.git for-next
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wireless/wireless-next.git for-next

The idea we have is that wireless-next for-next branch is not updated
during the merge window and then the "next-next" patches will not be
included in linux-next until the merge window has closed.

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches

* Re: linux-next: wireless for-next branches
@ 2022-05-28  0:20 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-05-28  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: linux-wireless, linux-kernel

Hi Kalle,

On Fri, 27 May 2022 11:58:03 +0300 Kalle Valo <kvalo@kernel.org> wrote:

> We are experimenting how we could take "next-next" patches during merge
> windows and avoid accumulation of patches for the period which is in
> practice three weeks for wireless patches. To do that could you please
> change linux-next to pull from wireless trees for-next branches instead
> of main branches? So the new locations are:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wireless/wireless.git for-next
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wireless/wireless-next.git for-next
>
> The idea we have is that wireless-next for-next branch is not updated
> during the merge window and then the "next-next" patches will not be
> included in linux-next until the merge window has closed.

OK, I have switched to using those branches.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: wireless for-next branches
@ 2022-05-30  8:54   ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2022-05-30  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-wireless, linux-kernel

Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> writes:

> On Fri, 27 May 2022 11:58:03 +0300 Kalle Valo <kvalo@kernel.org> wrote:
>>
>> We are experimenting how we could take "next-next" patches during merge
>> windows and avoid accumulation of patches for the period which is in
>> practice three weeks for wireless patches. To do that could you please
>> change linux-next to pull from wireless trees for-next branches instead
>> of main branches? So the new locations are:
>>
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wireless/wireless.git for-next
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wireless/wireless-next.git for-next
>>
>> The idea we have is that wireless-next for-next branch is not updated
>> during the merge window and then the "next-next" patches will not be
>> included in linux-next until the merge window has closed.
>
> OK, I have switched to using those branches.

Great, thank you Stephen. I now took the first patch[1] to wireless-next
main branch but you should not see it in for-next branch until the merge
window is closed.

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wireless/wireless-next.git/commit/?id=d092de2c28dcf752890252dedefed98f00a631fe