From: Keith Owens <kaos@ocs.com.au>
To: Rusty Russell <rusty@rustcorp.com.au>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] /proc/ksyms change for IA64
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 00:51:53 +1000	[thread overview]

On Mon, 06 Aug 2001 00:02:51 +1000,
Rusty Russell <rusty@rustcorp.com.au> wrote:
>In message <13470.996995793@ocs3.ocs-net> you write:
>> >Eewwww....
>> >
>> >	How about just adding /proc/ksyms-ia64 with the code pointers
>> >which contains the ia64 code addresses required by ksymoops and
>> >debuggers.  These are, after all, less vital than insmod.
>>
>> That requires changes to every kernel debugger, oops decoder etc.  I
>> don't control all of Linux debugging yet ;).  It is also more work
>> because it requires kernel changes as well as lots of user space.
>
>For ia64 only.  IMHO, that's a better line to draw.

My approach preserves the notion that a ksyms entry points to the data
or code, changing the function descriptor to a different name in ksyms.
Your approach breaks that notion and introduces a special case for ia64
ksyms.  My approach only needs changes to modutils.  Your approach
requires changes to the kernel and to every utility that understands
ksyms.  Guess which approach I am doing?