* Status of aspeed-bmc-opp-firestone (IBM S822LC)
@ 2018-05-29 14:53 Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2018-05-29 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley
  Cc: openbmc, linux-arm-kernel, linux-aspeed,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Gunnar Mills

Dear Joel, dear Linux folks,

We have an IBM S822LC system (Firestone(?)). Building of OpenBMC
currently fails, as the not everything was ported from dev-4.10 to
dev-4.13 [1], and therefore a file cannot be found.

Looking at upstream Linux, there are BMCs for Power 8 systems, like
Palmetto, included.

```
$ ls arch/arm/boot/dts/aspeed-bmc-opp-*
arch/arm/boot/dts/aspeed-bmc-opp-palmetto.dts
arch/arm/boot/dts/aspeed-bmc-opp-romulus.dts
arch/arm/boot/dts/aspeed-bmc-opp-witherspoon.dts
arch/arm/boot/dts/aspeed-bmc-opp-zaius.dts
```

Does somebody know, why Firestone was not upstreamed? Is somebody
working on upstreaming it? If not, do you have scripts to port such
work? Manually cherry-picking stuff in this case is hard, as there are a
lot of conflicts.

Kind regards,

Paul

[1]: https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/issues/3206

* Re: Status of aspeed-bmc-opp-firestone (IBM S822LC)
@ 2018-05-30  4:06 ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2018-05-30  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Menzel, Joel Stanley
  Cc: Gunnar Mills, openbmc, linux-aspeed, linux-arm-kernel,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

Hi Paul,

On Wed, 30 May 2018, at 00:23, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear Joel, dear Linux folks,
>

> We have an IBM S822LC system (Firestone(?)). Building of OpenBMC
> currently fails, as the not everything was ported from dev-4.10 to
> dev-4.13 [1], and therefore a file cannot be found.
>
> Looking at upstream Linux, there are BMCs for Power 8 systems, like
> Palmetto, included.
>
> ```
> $ ls arch/arm/boot/dts/aspeed-bmc-opp-*
> arch/arm/boot/dts/aspeed-bmc-opp-palmetto.dts
> arch/arm/boot/dts/aspeed-bmc-opp-romulus.dts
> arch/arm/boot/dts/aspeed-bmc-opp-witherspoon.dts
> arch/arm/boot/dts/aspeed-bmc-opp-zaius.dts
> ```
>
> Does somebody know, why Firestone was not upstreamed? Is somebody
> working on upstreaming it? If not, do you have scripts to port such
> work? Manually cherry-picking stuff in this case is hard, as there are a
> lot of conflicts.

Firestone was never really maintained. We hacked around with it for a bit, but nothing concrete really came of it. As far as I'm aware, no-one is working on upstreaming it.

Also, I don't think there were any scripts used in the process, so it's going to be some drudge work to get things running.

Sorry that I don't have a more positive answer. Maybe someone else knows better.

Cheers,

Andrew