* Design Level Documentation for the Linux kernel (V2.6)
@ 2005-06-15  0:34 Nick Newcomb
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nick Newcomb @ 2005-06-15  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi, I'm working with the Software Revolution and I thought you guys might
like to know that we just completed the automatic generation of a full,
design-level documentation of the LINUX kernel and associated sub-systems.
This documentation set is made up of hyperlinked graphics and text documents
of all the major subsystems and all of the source code fields and functions
and is organized by complexity and file-system location. It covers the Linux
kernel, memory management, file-system, security, cryptography,
initialization, drivers, architecture and interprocess communication
subsystems. Furthermore, we're offering this for... well free. I just
thought it was something maybe you guys could use. If you would like to view
this information, just go to:

http://www.softwarerevolution.com/jeneral/open-source-docs.html

Any questions or comments anyone might have are more than welcome. Thanks
for your time and we hope you'll find our services useful.

~ Nick w/ TSRI

* Re: Design Level Documentation for the Linux kernel (V2.6)
@ 2005-06-15  1:13 ` Parag Warudkar
From: Parag Warudkar @ 2005-06-15  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Newcomb; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 20:34, Nick Newcomb wrote:
> http://www.softwarerevolution.com/jeneral/open-source-docs.html
>
> Any questions or comments anyone might have are more than welcome. Thanks
> for your time and we hope you'll find our services useful.
>
> ~ Nick w/ TSRI
>From the site : Documentation is best viewed with the most recent versions of
Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox (w/ plugin).

Well, both options require the use of Windows - most guys around here aren't
going to be able to view it. (I would really like to view the docs but
couldn't - Firefox displayed plain text and Konqueror displayed the page
properly but there were no links on the page as displayed by Konqueror.)

BTW,  both Konqueror and Firefox support SVG (not in their stable versions but
none the less, bleeding edge versions do give an option to enable SVG
support.) So it would be helpful to have a version viewable using Linux
browsers.

Thanks
Parag

* Re: Design Level Documentation for the Linux kernel (V2.6)
@ 2005-06-15  1:15 ` Kyle Moffett
From: Kyle Moffett @ 2005-06-15  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Newcomb; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Jun 14, 2005, at 20:34:26, Nick Newcomb wrote:
> http://www.softwarerevolution.com/jeneral/open-source-docs.html

This looks really nice, and I can load the SVG images just fine, but
could
you use something other than image maps?  They seem to give my favorite
browsers (OmniWeb and Safari on Mac OS X) some sort of heartburn.  Other
than that this looks really awesome!  Thanks!

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

Somone asked my why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best
answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't.
That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz

* Re: Design Level Documentation for the Linux kernel (V2.6)
@ 2005-06-15  1:33   ` Peter Williams
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Williams @ 2005-06-15  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parag Warudkar; +Cc: Nick Newcomb, linux-kernel

Parag Warudkar wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 June 2005 20:34, Nick Newcomb wrote:
>
>>http://www.softwarerevolution.com/jeneral/open-source-docs.html
>>
>>Any questions or comments anyone might have are more than welcome. Thanks
>>for your time and we hope you'll find our services useful.
>>
>>~ Nick w/ TSRI
>
>>From the site : Documentation is best viewed with the most recent versions of
> Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox (w/ plugin).
>
> Well, both options require the use of Windows

There's an Adobe SVG plugin that works on Linux (at least on FC3).

<http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/magic/svgviewer/linux/3.x/3.01x88/en/adobesvg-3.01x88-linux-i386.tar.gz>

This works fine with a test SVG link at Adobe but after installing it
Firefox only displays the above link as source :-(

Before I installed the plug in Firefox displayed the above link OK but
couldn't display the SVG stuff. :-(

> - most guys around here aren't
> going to be able to view it. (I would really like to view the docs but
> couldn't - Firefox displayed plain text and Konqueror displayed the page
> properly but there were no links on the page as displayed by Konqueror.)
>
> BTW,  both Konqueror and Firefox support SVG (not in their stable versions but
> none the less, bleeding edge versions do give an option to enable SVG
> support.) So it would be helpful to have a version viewable using Linux
> browsers.

Yes, it seems that it needs some work.

Peter
--
Peter Williams                                   pwil3058@bigpond.net.au

  -- Ambrose Bierce

* Re: Design Level Documentation for the Linux kernel (V2.6)
@ 2005-06-15  1:46     ` Parag Warudkar
From: Parag Warudkar @ 2005-06-15  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Williams; +Cc: Nick Newcomb, linux-kernel

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 21:33, Peter Williams wrote:
> Before I installed the plug in Firefox displayed the above link OK but
> couldn't display the SVG stuff.

For me even the SVG enabled version of Firefox  (Deer Park Alpha) displays
source of the URL - perhaps some mime type issue.

Nick - Firefox Deer Park Alpha version is the one you might want to target -
as I said it is SVG enabled.

Parag

--
It is better to have loved and lost than just to have lost.

* Re: Design Level Documentation for the Linux kernel (V2.6)
@ 2005-06-15  7:00     ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2005-06-15  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Williams; +Cc: Parag Warudkar, Nick Newcomb, linux-kernel

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:33:56AM +1000, Peter Williams wrote:

> There's an Adobe SVG plugin that works on Linux (at least on FC3).

s/Linux/x86 Linux with a recent libc/

* Re: Design Level Documentation for the Linux kernel (V2.6)
@ 2005-06-15  8:11       ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2005-06-15  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Peter Williams, Parag Warudkar, Nick Newcomb, Linux Kernel Development

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:33:56AM +1000, Peter Williams wrote:
> >
> > There's an Adobe SVG plugin that works on Linux (at least on FC3).
>
> s/Linux/x86 Linux with a recent libc/

s/recent/obsolete/ after we will have upgraded to a new libc in a few months...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: Design Level Documentation for the Linux kernel (V2.6)
@ 2005-06-15  9:19 ` Denis Vlasenko
From: Denis Vlasenko @ 2005-06-15  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Newcomb, linux-kernel

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 03:34, Nick Newcomb wrote:
> Hi, I'm working with the Software Revolution and I thought you guys might
> like to know that we just completed the automatic generation of a full,
> design-level documentation of the LINUX kernel and associated sub-systems.
> This documentation set is made up of hyperlinked graphics and text documents
> of all the major subsystems and all of the source code fields and functions
> and is organized by complexity and file-system location. It covers the Linux
> kernel, memory management, file-system, security, cryptography,
> initialization, drivers, architecture and interprocess communication
> subsystems. Furthermore, we're offering this for... well free. I just
> thought it was something maybe you guys could use. If you would like to view
> this information, just go to:
>
> http://www.softwarerevolution.com/jeneral/open-source-docs.html

Firefox does not believe it's HTML:

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:16:37 GMT
Server: Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/2.0.48 (Mandrake Linux/6.8.100mdk) mod_perl/1.99_11 Perl/v5.8.3 mod_ssl/2.0.48 OpenSSL/0.9.7c PHP/4.3
ETag: "e86b7-3dae-8308aa80"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Last-Modified: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 23:27:22 GMT
              ^^^^^^^^^^

--
vda

* Re: Design Level Documentation for the Linux kernel (V2.6)
@ 2005-06-17  1:48     ` Coywolf Qi Hunt
From: Coywolf Qi Hunt @ 2005-06-17  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Williams; +Cc: Parag Warudkar, Nick Newcomb, linux-kernel

On 6/15/05, Peter Williams <pwil3058@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Parag Warudkar wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 June 2005 20:34, Nick Newcomb wrote:
> >
> >>http://www.softwarerevolution.com/jeneral/open-source-docs.html
> >>
> >>Any questions or comments anyone might have are more than welcome. Thanks
> >>for your time and we hope you'll find our services useful.
> >>
> >>~ Nick w/ TSRI
> >
> >>From the site : Documentation is best viewed with the most recent versions of
> > Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox (w/ plugin).
> >
> > Well, both options require the use of Windows
>
> There's an Adobe SVG plugin that works on Linux (at least on FC3).
>
> <http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/magic/svgviewer/linux/3.x/3.01x88/en/adobesvg-3.01x88-linux-i386.tar.gz>
>
> This works fine with a test SVG link at Adobe but after installing it
> Firefox only displays the above link as source :-(
>
> Before I installed the plug in Firefox displayed the above link OK but
> couldn't display the SVG stuff. :-(

Try mozilla, and librsvg2-bin if you are in debian.
--
Coywolf Qi Hunt
http://ahbl.org/~coywolf/

* Re: Design Level Documentation for the Linux kernel (V2.6)
@ 2005-06-17  1:59   ` Coywolf Qi Hunt
From: Coywolf Qi Hunt @ 2005-06-17  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Vlasenko; +Cc: Nick Newcomb, linux-kernel

> Firefox does not believe it's HTML:
>
> HTTP/1.0 200 OK
> Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:16:37 GMT
> Server: Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/2.0.48 (Mandrake Linux/6.8.100mdk) mod_perl/1.99_11 Perl/v5.8.3 mod_ssl/2.0.48 OpenSSL/0.9.7c PHP/4.3
> ETag: "e86b7-3dae-8308aa80"
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
> Last-Modified: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 23:27:22 GMT

mozilla can handle it correctly, but firefox isn't wrong.

--
Coywolf Qi Hunt
http://ahbl.org/~coywolf/