* MAINTAINERS: Wrong ordering in S390 PCI SUBSYSTEM
@ 2020-05-06  5:45 Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-05-06  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Morel
  Cc: Vasily Gorbik, Joe Perches, Andy Shevchenko, kernel-janitors,
	linux-kernel

Hi Pierre,

with your commit de267a7c71ba ("s390/pci: Documentation for zPCI"),
visible on next-20200505, ./scripts/checkpatch.pl -f MAINTAINERS
complains:

WARNING: Misordered MAINTAINERS entry - list file patterns in alphabetic order
#14723: FILE: MAINTAINERS:14723:
+F:	drivers/pci/hotplug/s390_pci_hpc.c
+F:	Documentation/s390/pci.rst

This is due to wrong ordering of the entries in your submission. If you
would like me to send you a patch fixing that, please just let me know.

It is a recent addition to checkpatch.pl to report ordering problems in
MAINTAINERS, so you might have not seen that at submission time.

Best regards,

Lukas

* Re: MAINTAINERS: Wrong ordering in S390 PCI SUBSYSTEM
@ 2020-05-06 10:51 ` Andy Shevchenko
From: Andy Shevchenko @ 2020-05-06 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn
  Cc: Pierre Morel, Vasily Gorbik, Joe Perches, kernel-janitors,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 8:46 AM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Pierre,
>
> with your commit de267a7c71ba ("s390/pci: Documentation for zPCI"),
> visible on next-20200505, ./scripts/checkpatch.pl -f MAINTAINERS
> complains:
>
> WARNING: Misordered MAINTAINERS entry - list file patterns in alphabetic order
> #14723: FILE: MAINTAINERS:14723:
> +F:     drivers/pci/hotplug/s390_pci_hpc.c
> +F:     Documentation/s390/pci.rst
>

> This is due to wrong ordering of the entries in your submission. If you
> would like me to send you a patch fixing that, please just let me know.
>
> It is a recent addition to checkpatch.pl to report ordering problems in
> MAINTAINERS, so you might have not seen that at submission time.

Why not to send a patch?
Same for the rest of similar mails from you.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko

* Re: MAINTAINERS: Wrong ordering in S390 PCI SUBSYSTEM
@ 2020-05-06 17:09   ` Joe Perches
From: Joe Perches @ 2020-05-06 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Shevchenko, Lukas Bulwahn

On Wed, 2020-05-06 at 13:51 +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 8:46 AM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Pierre,
> >
> > with your commit de267a7c71ba ("s390/pci: Documentation for zPCI"),
> > visible on next-20200505, ./scripts/checkpatch.pl -f MAINTAINERS
> > complains:
> >
> > WARNING: Misordered MAINTAINERS entry - list file patterns in alphabetic order
> > #14723: FILE: MAINTAINERS:14723:
> > +F:     drivers/pci/hotplug/s390_pci_hpc.c
> > +F:     Documentation/s390/pci.rst
> >

> > This is due to wrong ordering of the entries in your submission. If you
> > would like me to send you a patch fixing that, please just let me know.
> >
> > It is a recent addition to checkpatch.pl to report ordering problems in
> > MAINTAINERS, so you might have not seen that at submission time.
>
> Why not to send a patch?
> Same for the rest of similar mails from you.

Frequently an original patch, which has yet to hit Linus' tree,
can be updated before being upstreamed to avoid unnecessary
additional patches.

It's also good form so the author of the original patch can be
aware of possible defects in submission.

* Re: MAINTAINERS: Wrong ordering in S390 PCI SUBSYSTEM
@ 2020-05-06 20:37   ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-05-06 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Shevchenko
  Cc: Lukas Bulwahn, Pierre Morel, Vasily Gorbik, Joe Perches,
	kernel-janitors, Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Wed, 6 May 2020, Andy Shevchenko wrote:

> On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 8:46 AM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Pierre,
> >
> > with your commit de267a7c71ba ("s390/pci: Documentation for zPCI"),
> > visible on next-20200505, ./scripts/checkpatch.pl -f MAINTAINERS
> > complains:
> >
> > WARNING: Misordered MAINTAINERS entry - list file patterns in alphabetic order
> > #14723: FILE: MAINTAINERS:14723:
> > +F:     drivers/pci/hotplug/s390_pci_hpc.c
> > +F:     Documentation/s390/pci.rst
> >

> > This is due to wrong ordering of the entries in your submission. If you
> > would like me to send you a patch fixing that, please just let me know.
> >
> > It is a recent addition to checkpatch.pl to report ordering problems in
> > MAINTAINERS, so you might have not seen that at submission time.
>
> Why not to send a patch?
> Same for the rest of similar mails from you.

Well, the checkpatch warning is new, so I want to find out if and make
sure that the involved developers are generally okay getting those patches
or if there is a better way handling those patches to MAINTAINERS.

I do not expect that there are too many further cases of this warning
appearing soon in linux-next now that checkpatch already warns about it.

@ 2020-05-06 20:59     ` Joe Perches
From: Joe Perches @ 2020-05-06 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn, Andy Shevchenko

On Wed, 2020-05-06 at 22:37 +0200, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:

> On Wed, 6 May 2020, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 8:46 AM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Pierre,
> > >
> > > with your commit de267a7c71ba ("s390/pci: Documentation for zPCI"),
> > > visible on next-20200505, ./scripts/checkpatch.pl -f MAINTAINERS
> > > complains:
> > >
> > > WARNING: Misordered MAINTAINERS entry - list file patterns in alphabetic order
> > > #14723: FILE: MAINTAINERS:14723:
> > > +F:     drivers/pci/hotplug/s390_pci_hpc.c
> > > +F:     Documentation/s390/pci.rst
> > >

> > > This is due to wrong ordering of the entries in your submission. If you
> > > would like me to send you a patch fixing that, please just let me know.
> > >
> > > It is a recent addition to checkpatch.pl to report ordering problems in
> > > MAINTAINERS, so you might have not seen that at submission time.
> >
> > Why not to send a patch?
> > Same for the rest of similar mails from you.
> >

> Well, the checkpatch warning is new, so I want to find out if and make
> sure that the involved developers are generally okay getting those patches
> or if there is a better way handling those patches to MAINTAINERS.
>
> I do not expect that there are too many further cases of this warning
> appearing soon in linux-next now that checkpatch already warns about it.

Hey Lukas.

Don't expect _too_ much as checkpatch has for a long time
has done add/delete/move tests for files and emitted a
"Does MAINTAINERS need updating" message that most have
ignored or not seen as many patches are submitted without
running checkpatch.