* Correct place for USB PHY driver
@ 2016-01-11 10:07 Mason
From: Mason @ 2016-01-11 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kishon, Felipe Balbi; +Cc: LKML, linux-usb, Arnd Bergmann

Hello,

I have a board with a Chipidea controller.
I use a custom PHY driver for it.

Should the PHY driver live in drivers/phy or in drivers/usb/phy ?

I was playing with a modular build and hit this problem:
ERROR: "of_usb_get_phy_mode" [drivers/usb/chipidea/ci_hdrc.ko] undefined!

I'm currently using v4.1.13 and I saw that Arnd fixed something related
probably in a later version:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/457561

Was this patch accepted upstream?

Regards.

* Re: Correct place for USB PHY driver
@ 2016-01-11 10:28 ` Kishon Vijay Abraham I
From: Kishon Vijay Abraham I @ 2016-01-11 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mason, Felipe Balbi; +Cc: LKML, linux-usb, Arnd Bergmann

hI,

On Monday 11 January 2016 03:37 PM, Mason wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a board with a Chipidea controller.
> I use a custom PHY driver for it.
>
> Should the PHY driver live in drivers/phy or in drivers/usb/phy ?

All new phy drivers should be in drivers/phy using the generic PHY framework.

> I was playing with a modular build and hit this problem:
> ERROR: "of_usb_get_phy_mode" [drivers/usb/chipidea/ci_hdrc.ko] undefined!
>
> I'm currently using v4.1.13 and I saw that Arnd fixed something related
> probably in a later version:
>
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/457561
>
> Was this patch accepted upstream?

I think no.

Thanks
Kishon

* Re: Correct place for USB PHY driver
@ 2016-01-11 11:56   ` Mason
From: Mason @ 2016-01-11 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kishon Vijay Abraham I, Felipe Balbi; +Cc: LKML, linux-usb, Arnd Bergmann

On 11/01/2016 11:28, Kishon Vijay Abraham I wrote:

> On Monday 11 January 2016 03:37 PM, Mason wrote:
>
>> I have a board with a Chipidea controller.
>> I use a custom PHY driver for it.
>>
>> Should the PHY driver live in drivers/phy or in drivers/usb/phy ?
>
> All new phy drivers should be in drivers/phy using the generic PHY framework.
>
>> I was playing with a modular build and hit this problem:
>> ERROR: "of_usb_get_phy_mode" [drivers/usb/chipidea/ci_hdrc.ko] undefined!
>>
>> I'm currently using v4.1.13 and I saw that Arnd fixed something related
>> probably in a later version:
>>
>>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/457561
>>
>> Was this patch accepted upstream?
>
> I think no.

The driver I use is in drivers/phy and my config has

CONFIG_GENERIC_PHY=y
# CONFIG_USB_PHY is not set

But I do hit the "of_usb_get_phy_mode undefined" error when I
set all of USB to m.

Arnd, do you think your patch needs to be carried over to generic PHY?

@ 2016-01-11 13:55     ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2016-01-11 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mason; +Cc: Kishon Vijay Abraham I, Felipe Balbi, LKML, linux-usb

On Monday 11 January 2016 12:56:27 Mason wrote:
> On 11/01/2016 11:28, Kishon Vijay Abraham I wrote:
>
> > On Monday 11 January 2016 03:37 PM, Mason wrote:
> >
> >> I have a board with a Chipidea controller.
> >> I use a custom PHY driver for it.
> >>
> >> Should the PHY driver live in drivers/phy or in drivers/usb/phy ?
> >
> > All new phy drivers should be in drivers/phy using the generic PHY framework.
> >
> >> I was playing with a modular build and hit this problem:
> >> ERROR: "of_usb_get_phy_mode" [drivers/usb/chipidea/ci_hdrc.ko] undefined!
> >>
> >> I'm currently using v4.1.13 and I saw that Arnd fixed something related
> >> probably in a later version:
> >>
> >>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/457561
> >>
> >> Was this patch accepted upstream?
> >
> > I think no.
>
> The driver I use is in drivers/phy and my config has
>
> CONFIG_GENERIC_PHY=y
> # CONFIG_USB_PHY is not set
>
> But I do hit the "of_usb_get_phy_mode undefined" error when I
> set all of USB to m.
>
> Arnd, do you think your patch needs to be carried over to generic PHY?

I think my patch is still needed, I will resubmit it if it doesn't make
it into 4.5-rc1.

In the meantime you can work around the problem by setting CONFIG_USB=y
instead of CONFIG_USB=m.

	Arnd