* old binary works not with 2.2.18
@ 2000-12-18 19:30 kees
From: kees @ 2000-12-18 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I have an old 4GL application (from SCO3.2v4) that is a neat database
tool. Under 2.2.17 with iBCS this works well:

kees@renske1:~ > cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.2.17 (root@renske1) (gcc version 2.95.2 19991024
(release)) #10
Wed Dec 6 20:16:39 CET 2000
kees@renske1:~ > sage

sage : Screen language interpreter

SCULPTOR 4GL + SQL
Release 2.0b (30 May 1990)
(C) 1984-1990 Microprocessor Developments Ltd.
All rights reserved

However under 2.2.18 I get:

kees@schoen3:~ > cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.2.18 (root@schoen3) (gcc version 2.95.2 19991024
(release)) #1 SMP Mon Dec 18 00:48:04 CET 2000
kees@schoen3:~ > sage
Segmentation fault

schoen3:~ #  file /usr/SCULPTOR/bin/sage
/usr/SCULPTOR/bin/sage: Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented
word-swapped V2.3 V3.0 386 small model executable

Hints?

Kees

-

* Re: old binary works not with 2.2.18
@ 2000-12-19  1:20 ` John O'Donnell
From: John O'Donnell @ 2000-12-19  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kees, linux-kernel

kees wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an old 4GL application (from SCO3.2v4) that is a neat database
> tool. Under 2.2.17 with iBCS this works well:

I am just curious.  Did you re-compile the iBCS2 module after upgrading
to 2.2.18 to did you force the module to load up...

With Slackware and kernel upgrades this is a regular procedure with me
otherwise chaos ensues  :-)
Johnny O

--
<SomeLamer> what's the difference between chattr and chmod?
<SomeGuru> SomeLamer: man chattr > 1; man chmod > 2; diff -u 1 2 | less

* Re: old binary works not with 2.2.18
@ 2000-12-19 17:05   ` kees
From: kees @ 2000-12-19 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John O'Donnell; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hello,

Yep, *After* I build a new kernel I _always_ build a new iBCS module.

I have an old utility 'hd' (hexdump) from SCO3.2v4.2 that also needs iBCS
but has a slightly different format, *that* works under 2.2.18

Kees

@ 2000-12-19 17:48     ` John O'Donnell
From: John O'Donnell @ 2000-12-19 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kees, linux-kernel

kees wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yep, *After* I build a new kernel I _always_ build a new iBCS module.
>
> I have an old utility 'hd' (hexdump) from SCO3.2v4.2 that also needs iBCS
> but has a slightly different format, *that* works under 2.2.18
>
> Kees

Kudos!!!  I use the same utility but from 5.0.5  :-)  (huge GRIN)
Sorry that wasnt the solution...