* tighter compression for x86 kernels
@ 2000-12-20 22:02 John Reiser
From: John Reiser @ 2000-12-20 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Beta release v1.11 of the UPX executable compressor http://upx.tsx.org
offers new, tighter re-compression of compressed Linux kernels for x86.
Additional space savings of about 15% have been seen using
"upx --best vmlinuz" (example: 617431 ==> 525099, saving 92332 bytes).
Both source (GPLv2) and pre-compiled binary for x86 are available.
[I'm not subscribed to this mailing list, so CC: or mail me if appropriate.]

--
John Reiser, jreiser@BitWagon.com
-

* Re: tighter compression for x86 kernels
@ 2000-12-20 23:15 ` Adrian Bunk
From: Adrian Bunk @ 2000-12-20 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Reiser; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, John Reiser wrote:

> Beta release v1.11 of the UPX executable compressor http://upx.tsx.org
> offers new, tighter re-compression of compressed Linux kernels for x86.
> Additional space savings of about 15% have been seen using
> "upx --best vmlinuz" (example: 617431 ==> 525099, saving 92332 bytes).
> Both source (GPLv2) and pre-compiled binary for x86 are available.
               ^^^^^
That's not true. Read
  http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/mfx/upx-license.html

> [I'm not subscribed to this mailing list, so CC: or mail me if appropriate.]

cu,
Adrian

                -- Mahatma Ghandi

-

* Re: tighter compression for x86 kernels
@ 2000-12-20 23:22   ` Frank v Waveren
From: Frank v Waveren @ 2000-12-20 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Bunk; +Cc: John Reiser, linux-kernel

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 12:15:13AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > Both source (GPLv2) and pre-compiled binary for x86 are available.
>                ^^^^^
> That's not true. Read
>   http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/mfx/upx-license.html

>From that page:

   UPX and the UCL library are free software; you can redistribute them
   and/or modify them under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
   published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of
   the License, or (at your option) any later version.

Seems GPL2 to me. I haven't read all of the rest of the page, but
that'd either be dual licensing stuff, or further restrictions, which
would be in contradiction with the GPL.

--
Frank v Waveren                                      Fingerprint: 0EDB 8787
fvw@[var.cx|dse.nl|stack.nl|chello.nl] ICQ#10074100     09B9 6EF5 6425 B855

-

* Re: tighter compression for x86 kernels
@ 2000-12-20 23:27     ` Jens Müller
From: Jens Müller @ 2000-12-20 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

From: John Reiser @ 2000-12-21 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Bunk; +Cc: linux-kernel

> > Both source (GPLv2) and pre-compiled binary for x86 are available.
>                ^^^^^
> That's not true. Read
>   http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/mfx/upx-license.html

The UPX team owns all copyright in all of UPX and in each part of UPX.
Therefore, the UPX team may choose which license(s), and has chosen two.
One of them is GPLv2.  The UPX team understands, and fully intends
to abide by, its obligations under GPLv2 when any software that is subject
to GPLv2 is contributed to UPX and re-distributed by the UPX team.  The
other license is detailed in the LICENSE file, but may be summarized as:
free to use if unmodified, and if used only to invoke the program, and
sublicensable only under the same terms.  This permits using UPX to pack
a non-GPL executable.  Users of UPX (as distributed by the UPX team)
may choose whether to use UPX according to GPLv2, or according to
the other license.
[I am not subscribed to this mailing list, so CC: or mail me if appropriate.]

--

@ 2001-01-02 22:25 Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2001-01-02 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

>The UPX team owns all copyright in all of UPX and in each part of
> UPX.  Therefore, the UPX team may choose which license(s), and has
> chosen two
> This permits using UPX to pack a non-GPL executable.

Stupid question time: isn't this what the LGPL was designed to do?  The
Library GPL, so people who compiled stuff with gcc and linked it with
glibc wouldn't necessarily be gpl-ing their binary by doing so?  (Or the
leprosy GPL, or whatever Stallman's renamed it this month.  The license
text hasn't changed...)

Rob
-