* neither 2.2.18 nor 2.4.0 boot on my Cyrix III
@ 2001-01-06 21:09 Martin Hammerschmid
From: Martin Hammerschmid @ 2001-01-06 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I'm not subscribed to the list but I want to report this problem:

I found this in the kernel mailing list archive :

> The cyrixIII chips by via have the centaur vendor id which causes the
> identify_cpu call in arch/i386/kernel/setup.c to fail. It is probably
> reasonable for it to have the centaur id as via owns centaur as well. I
> just replaced the centaur_model call with the cyrix_model one, but I
> know that I am using a cyrix chip.
>
> A test probably needs to be added in the centaur_model section to test
> for the cyrixIII in disguise.
>
> The error is a general protection fault.

I had the same problem as described above with 2.2.18 and 2.4.0
(2.2.17 boots without any problems)
I changed setup.c as suggested in this post and was able to boot both
(2.2.18 and 2.4.0).
I don't have any kernel knowledge but I'm willing to test something on
my box if
anyone is interested in solving this problem.

(via Cyrix III on a Aopen mx3s board (i815))

TIA

Martin Hammerschmid
-

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-01-06 21:10 UTC | newest]