* Re: 242-ac3 loop bug
@ 2001-02-26  0:15 Jonathan Oppenheim
From: Jonathan Oppenheim @ 2001-02-26  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

i have also been having trouble with many cyphers including
blowfish (although twofish and idea worked).  the error seems to be the
same in all 2.4.x kernels (i have all the relevant options compiled
as modules eg. loopback and ciphers))

i follow the encryptionhowto, but when i do a
losetup -e blah blah blah
i get a segmentation fault (no core, no other error
messages as far as i can see)

then, i can't rmmod the loop module and other modules because
they are busy.

so i can't unmount the disk.

i haven't yet tried things with 2.4.2-ac3, but the problem
seems to be with particular cyphers not with loopback.

let me know what system specs you need (directly -as i'm not
on the kernel list)

(i have an amd athlon running on k7a asus motherboard if that helps).

cheers,

* 242-ac3 loop bug
@ 2001-02-24 17:32 Mark Swanson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mark Swanson @ 2001-02-24 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

First, good job on the loop device. It's rock stable for me - except
when I try to load the blowfish module which oops the kernel and
crashes the loop device:-) No problem, I just use another cipher.

The bug I'm reporting is that when a loop device is in use the load of
the machine stays at 1.00 even though nothing is happening. If I umount
the loop filesystem the load goes down to 0.00.

> ps -aux | grep loop
1674 tty1     DW<   0:00 [loop0]

The system is doing nothing to the loop filesystem.
Strange that the process isn't logging any cpu usage time. It's
definately responsible for the 1.00 load.

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/