* Linux kernel programming for beginners
@ 2001-05-15 14:01 Bohdan Vlasyuk
From: Bohdan Vlasyuk @ 2001-05-15 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi !

Does anybody know any nice resource for beginners to try to write
some device drivers/other interesting stuff ?

Anything like url:// or mailing list will be appreciated.

--
Bye.

* Re: Linux kernel programming for beginners
@ 2001-05-15 14:27 ` Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2001-05-15 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bohdan Vlasyuk; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Does anybody know any nice resource for beginners to try to write
> some device drivers/other interesting stuff ?

<self-serving-stuff>

Well... if you can wait just a little longer, O'Reilly tells me that the
second edition of Linux Device Drivers should hit the shelves on June 28.
We're still working on the right license for the online release - if people
have suggestions, I would be glad to receive them privately.

</self-serving-stuff>

jon  (who's glad we didn't tell people how to request major device
      numbers...)

Jonathan Corbet
Executive editor, LWN.net
corbet@lwn.net

* Re: Linux kernel programming for beginners
@ 2001-05-15 15:33   ` Eli Carter
From: Eli Carter @ 2001-05-15 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet; +Cc: Bohdan Vlasyuk, linux-kernel

Jonathan Corbet wrote:

> > Does anybody know any nice resource for beginners to try to write
> > some device drivers/other interesting stuff ?
>
> <self-serving-stuff>
>
> Well... if you can wait just a little longer, O'Reilly tells me that the
> second edition of Linux Device Drivers should hit the shelves on June 28.
> We're still working on the right license for the online release - if people
> have suggestions, I would be glad to receive them privately.
>
> </self-serving-stuff>

Do make an announcement on l-k when it's available.  It might be
considered SPAM by some, but it seems completely on-topic to me...

> jon  (who's glad we didn't tell people how to request major device
>       numbers...)

*chuckle*  :)

Eli
-----------------------.   No wonder we didn't get this right first time
Eli Carter             |      through. It's not really all that horribly
eli.carter(at)inet.com `- complicated, but the _details_ kill you. Linus

* Re: Linux kernel programming for beginners
@ 2001-05-18 14:38 ` Jes Sorensen
From: Jes Sorensen @ 2001-05-18 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bohdan Vlasyuk; +Cc: linux-kernel

Bohdan> Does anybody know any nice resource for beginners to try to
Bohdan> write some device drivers/other stuff ?

You can try my 'Linux Kernel Programming' slide set that I have used
for my tutorials on various conferences. The latest version is found
at http://www.trained-monkey.org/jes/linuxexpo-ams-print.ps

Cheers
Jes

* Re: Linux kernel programming for beginners
@ 2001-05-15 14:35 richardj_moore
From: richardj_moore @ 2001-05-15 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bohdan Vlasyuk; +Cc: linux-kernel

Yes, try the O'Reilly books, especilly Linux Device Drivers by Rubini, ISBN
1-56592-292-1

Richard

Richard Moore -  RAS Project Lead - Linux Technology Centre (ATS-PIC).
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux
Office: (+44) (0)1962-817072, Mobile: (+44) (0)7768-298183
IBM UK Ltd,  MP135 Galileo Centre, Hursley Park, Winchester, SO21 2JN, UK

* Re: Linux kernel programming for beginners
@ 2001-05-15 14:14 ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2001-05-15 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bohdan Vlasyuk; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 04:57:05PM +0300, Bohdan Vlasyuk wrote:
> Does anybody know any nice resource for beginners to try to write
> some device drivers/other stuff ?
>
> Anything like url:// or mailing list will be appreciated.

http://www.kernelnewbies.org/ and the #kernelnewbies IRC channel.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl

* Linux kernel programming for beginners
@ 2001-05-15 13:57 Bohdan Vlasyuk