* netif_start_queue
@ 2001-06-11 14:03 sebastien person
From: sebastien person @ 2001-06-11 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: liste noyau linux

hi,

I'm trying to port a ethernet device from 2.2 to 2.4. whith the new way of
dealing with dev->tbusy and dev->start (e.g. by using netif_startqueue for
example) I've understand that the netif_start_queue call put a flag that
telling
the device isn't busy but I can't found when does the start flag is set .

I've read somewhere that it is set when the open function return, but I
haven't
found where is the matching code.

In 2.4, must we always check if the device is busy or started, or it is
upper
layer work ?

Thanks

nb : Is somebody have buy the Linux Device driver book 2nd edition ? and
does it
deal about porting 2.2 to 2.4 driver ?

sebastien person

* Re: netif_start_queue
@ 2001-06-11 14:54 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2001-06-11 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sebastien person; +Cc: liste noyau linux

sebastien person wrote:

> hi,
>
> I'm trying to port a ethernet device from 2.2 to 2.4. whith the new way of
> dealing with dev->tbusy and dev->start (e.g. by using netif_startqueue for
> example) I've understand that the netif_start_queue call put a flag that
> telling
> the device isn't busy but I can't found when does the start flag is set .
>
> I've read somewhere that it is set when the open function return, but I
> haven't
> found where is the matching code.
>
> In 2.4, must we always check if the device is busy or started, or it is
> upper
> layer work ?

As you appear to be guessing, the upper layer handles the work that
'start' previously did.  If you need to check if the interface is up
inside your driver, call netif_running(dev).

--
Jeff Garzik      | Andre the Giant has a posse.
Building 1024    |