* Problems halting/rebooting with 2.4.{5,6}-ac
@ 2001-07-05 18:08 Jordan Breeding
From: Jordan Breeding @ 2001-07-05 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel

I have a Tyan Tiger 230 SMP system running dual 1 GHz PIII processors.
The processors are of the same lot and revision, bought on the same
day.  Everything worked fine or some time in regard to
halting/rebooting.  I was using ac kernels configured with ACPI.  At the
time of the merge with the Linus stuff which included new ACPI I started
configuring with ACPI and ACPI bus management and I could no longer halt
the system but rebooting worked OK.  As of 2.4.5-ac24 and 2.4.6-ac1 I
can no longer halt or reboot my system properly using no power
management or ACPI, and APM still displays the message about being
broken on SMP.  Has anyone seen this problem, is there a fix for it?
Another thing I have noticed is that my /proc/cpuinfo file looks like
this:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 999.694
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1992.29

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 999.694
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 3
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1998.84

Notice the difference in cpuid level and bogomips values between the
two.  These processors should be exactly the same, same lot and revision
and everything else according to the shrink wrapped Intel retail boxes
they came out of.  What could be casuing them to show up at different
cpuid levels?  Thanks for any help with either issue.

Jordan Breeding

* Re: Problems halting/rebooting with 2.4.{5,6}-ac
@ 2001-07-05 18:41 ` Jordan Breeding
From: Jordan Breeding @ 2001-07-05 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel

Jordan Breeding wrote:

> I have a Tyan Tiger 230 SMP system running dual 1 GHz PIII processors.
> The processors are of the same lot and revision, bought on the same
> day.  Everything worked fine or some time in regard to
> halting/rebooting.  I was using ac kernels configured with ACPI.  At the
> time of the merge with the Linus stuff which included new ACPI I started
> configuring with ACPI and ACPI bus management and I could no longer halt
> the system but rebooting worked OK.  As of 2.4.5-ac24 and 2.4.6-ac1 I
> can no longer halt or reboot my system properly using no power
> management or ACPI, and APM still displays the message about being
> broken on SMP.  Has anyone seen this problem, is there a fix for it?
> Another thing I have noticed is that my /proc/cpuinfo file looks like
> this:
>
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 8
> model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
> stepping        : 6
> cpu MHz         : 999.694
> cache size      : 256 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 2
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
> bogomips        : 1992.29
>
> processor       : 1
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 8
> model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
> stepping        : 6
> cpu MHz         : 999.694
> cache size      : 256 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 3
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
> bogomips        : 1998.84
>
> Notice the difference in cpuid level and bogomips values between the
> two.  These processors should be exactly the same, same lot and revision
> and everything else according to the shrink wrapped Intel retail boxes
> they came out of.  What could be casuing them to show up at different
> cpuid levels?  Thanks for any help with either issue.
>
> Jordan Breeding

Very sorry to have not included more information, when halting or
rebooting it now stop at INIT: there are no more processes left at this
run level and never actually reboots or halts.  To get around it I
either have to hit the power/reset buton or use SysReq to reboot it.
Thanks again for any help.

@ 2001-07-06 16:30   ` Jordan Breeding
From: Jordan Breeding @ 2001-07-06 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel

Jordan Breeding wrote:

> [...]
> > cpuid level     : 3
> > wp              : yes
> > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> > mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
> > bogomips        : 1998.84
> >
> > Notice the difference in cpuid level and bogomips values between the
> > two.  These processors should be exactly the same, same lot and revision
> > and everything else according to the shrink wrapped Intel retail boxes
> > they came out of.  What could be casuing them to show up at different
> > cpuid levels?  Thanks for any help with either issue.
> >
> > Jordan Breeding
>
> Very sorry to have not included more information, when halting or
> rebooting it now stop at INIT: there are no more processes left at this
> run level and never actually reboots or halts.  To get around it I
> either have to hit the power/reset buton or use SysReq to reboot it.

Okay, I did some more testing.  I tried doing a reverse patch using
Intels ACPI patch from 2.4.5-pre3 to the current ACPI version.  So now I
was running 2.4.6-ac1 with the old ACPI.  The same thing happened.  So
then I started thinking about anything else I had possibly changed
around the same time frame as the ACPI version change.  I had changed
from the normal UHCI to the Alternate (JE) UHCI drvier to allow me to
use a USB Sun keyboard and mouse successfully on an SMP kernel.  So the
next time that I tried a halt/reboot and it hung I tried showing the
task list using SysRq and khubd goes into zombie state when shutting
down.  Anyone have any ideas why?  Everything else left still running
(all kernel threads) was just in sleep state.  I assume this is a big
part of my problem.  Thanks in advance.

Jordan Breeding