* MTRR and Athlon Processors
@ 2001-08-05  0:47 Paul G. Allen
From: Paul G. Allen @ 2001-08-05  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is the mtrr code supposed to work properly for Athlon (Model 4) in
kernel 2.4.7?

I still get mtrr errors/warnings.

PGA

--
Paul G. Allen
UNIX Admin II/Network Security

* Re: MTRR and Athlon Processors
@ 2001-08-05  2:35       ` Paul G. Allen
From: Paul G. Allen @ 2001-08-05  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Jones wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Paul G. Allen wrote:
>
> > Jul 29 03:33:00 keroon kernel: mtrr: type mismatch for f8000000,4000000
> > old: write-back new: write-combining
> >
> > This happens quite often, especially with the agpgart and NVdriver
> > modules.
>
> iirc, this is a problem with the nvidia module, and there's nothing
> the kernel can do about it. Complain to nvidia.

If I knew who to complain to, I would. I used to have a contact there,
but I seem to have lost his e-mail address. :(

(BTW, There's no update to the Tyan [Pheonix] BIOS as yet either.)

PGA

--

@ 2001-08-05  2:28     ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2001-08-05  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Paul G. Allen wrote:

> Jul 29 03:33:00 keroon kernel: mtrr: type mismatch for f8000000,4000000
> old: write-back new: write-combining
>
> This happens quite often, especially with the agpgart and NVdriver
> modules.

iirc, this is a problem with the nvidia module, and there's nothing
the kernel can do about it. Complain to nvidia.

regards,

Dave.

--

@ 2001-08-05  1:02   ` Paul G. Allen
From: Paul G. Allen @ 2001-08-05  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Cox wrote:

> > Is the mtrr code supposed to work properly for Athlon (Model 4) in
> > kernel 2.4.7?
> >
> > I still get mtrr errors/warnings.
>
> Mismatched mtrr warnings indicate bios writers who cannot read
> specifications.

This does not surprise me. In fact, I need to check Tyan's web site for
a BIOS update.

> The kernel will fix up after it

I also get this message:

Jul 29 03:33:00 keroon kernel: mtrr: type mismatch for f8000000,4000000
old: write-back new: write-combining

This happens quite often, especially with the agpgart and NVdriver
modules.

PGA

--
Paul G. Allen
UNIX Admin II/Network Security
Akamai Technologies, Inc.
www.akamai.com

* Re: MTRR and Athlon Processors
       [not found] <no.id>
@ 2001-08-05  1:01 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-08-05  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is the mtrr code supposed to work properly for Athlon (Model 4) in
> kernel 2.4.7?
>
> I still get mtrr errors/warnings.

Mismatched mtrr warnings indicate bios writers who cannot read
specifications. The kernel will fix up after it