* [BUG?] :: "Value too large for defined data type"
@ 2001-08-15  8:22 God
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: God @ 2001-08-15  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

In short, I may have done a bad thing, this I know but .....

I noticed that when I tried to backup a box across the LAN via dump to a
localy mounted drive ...

<mental picture>
Box1 has:
hda and hdb, hdb has a fat32 fs (don't ask)

Box2 has
/mnt/backup, mounted to box2:/mnt/hdb1.

</mental picture>

.. dump crashed with:

  DUMP: 78.80% done at 814 kB/s, finished in 0:10
  DUMP: error reading command pipe in master: No such file or directory
  DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

Trying to check where dump should have written the file on box2, I get:

# ls -al
/bin/ls: test: Value too large for defined data type
total 2097216
drwxrwxrwx   2 root     root        32768 Aug 14 23:27 ./
drwxrwxrwx  50 root     root        32768 Aug 14 21:02 ../
-rwxrwxrwx   1 root     root     2147483647 Aug 14 22:11
box1.071401.dump*
#

Ok so I lied, that is a paste from after my little expriment, but you can
see the file size.  2.1G, out of a 3G drive.

What caused the error and my emailing the list, is I created a file using
dd (dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=4098k count=1000), but I cannot access that
file at all.  The only thing that seems to not care about it is "echo" :

# echo *
box1.071401.dump test
#

I tried to remove the file using rm, but I get the same error as ls:

# rm test
rm: cannot remove `test': Value too large for defined data type
#

The file is taking up ~4G of space (which is reflected correctly with df,
du will not read the file).

It was a stupid thing to do, but could there be a better way for the OS to
handle this and is there any way I can remove the file?  It's on  a 60
Gig drive, so formatting would not be an option right about now ...

The box in question (box2), is running Slack with a 2.4.3 kernel:

# uname -a
Linux box2 2.4.3 #7 SMP Sun Apr 29 13:42:05 EDT 2001 i686 unknown
#

Any thoughts?

* Re: [BUG?] :: "Value too large for defined data type"
@ 2001-08-15 10:52 ` Ingo Oeser
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ingo Oeser @ 2001-08-15 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: God; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi helpless God, ;-)

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 04:22:05AM -0400, God wrote:
> </mental picture>
>
> ... dump crashed with:
>
>   DUMP: 78.80% done at 814 kB/s, finished in 0:10
>   DUMP: error reading command pipe in master: No such file or directory
>   DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

> Trying to check where dump should have written the file on box2, I get:
>
> # ls -al
> /bin/ls: test: Value too large for defined data type
> total 2097216
> drwxrwxrwx   2 root     root        32768 Aug 14 23:27 ./
> drwxrwxrwx  50 root     root        32768 Aug 14 21:02 ../
> -rwxrwxrwx   1 root     root     2147483647 Aug 14 22:11
> box1.071401.dump*
> #

Your /bin/ls box2 is not LFS[1] aware. Maybe your dump isn't either?

> Ok so I lied, that is a paste from after my little expriment, but you can
> see the file size.  2.1G, out of a 3G drive.

Looks like LFS problem somewhere.

> It was a stupid thing to do, but could there be a better way for the OS to
> handle this and is there any way I can remove the file?  It's on  a 60
> Gig drive, so formatting would not be an option right about now ...

Use some rm, which has been compiled for LFS. If your glibc
doesn't support it, then you can only help yourself with some
boot disk with LFS aware tools.

Regards

Ingo Oeser

[1] Large File Support = Support for using large files on a file system

* Re: [BUG?] :: "Value too large for defined data type"
@ 2001-08-15 14:04 ` Steve Brueggeman
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Steve Brueggeman @ 2001-08-15 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: God

I don't have a non-LFS system available to me right now, so I haven't
tested this, but  how about truncating the files first...

bash# >box1.071401.dump
bash# >test
bash# rm box1.071401.dump test

Steve Brueggeman

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 04:22:05 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

<snip>
>Trying to check where dump should have written the file on box2, I get:
>
># ls -al
>/bin/ls: test: Value too large for defined data type
>total 2097216
>drwxrwxrwx   2 root     root        32768 Aug 14 23:27 ./
>drwxrwxrwx  50 root     root        32768 Aug 14 21:02 ../
>-rwxrwxrwx   1 root     root     2147483647 Aug 14 22:11
>box1.071401.dump*
>#

<snipage>

@ 2001-08-15 15:09 ` Andreas Dilger
From: Andreas Dilger @ 2001-08-15 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: God; +Cc: linux-kernel

"God" writes:
> I noticed that when I tried to backup a box across the LAN via dump to a
> localy mounted drive ...
>
> Box2 has
> /mnt/backup, mounted to box2:/mnt/hdb1.
>
> # ls -al
> /bin/ls: test: Value too large for defined data type
> total 2097216
> drwxrwxrwx   2 root     root        32768 Aug 14 23:27 ./
> drwxrwxrwx  50 root     root        32768 Aug 14 21:02 ../
> -rwxrwxrwx   1 root     root     2147483647 Aug 14 22:11
> box1.071401.dump*
> #
>
> Ok so I lied, that is a paste from after my little expriment, but you can
> see the file size.  2.1G, out of a 3G drive.
>
> I tried to remove the file using rm, but I get the same error as ls:
>
> # rm test
> rm: cannot remove `test': Value too large for defined data type

Well, considering this problem has been discussed several times on this
list, I would consider removing your "God" monicker, as you are neither
omniscient, nor omnipotent.

In any case, the problem is not with the kernel, but the fact that you
have file utilities that do not use "O_LARGEFILE" when working with
large files.  Update your fileutils package, and all will be well.

Cheers, Andreas

* Re: [BUG?] :: "Value too large for defined data type"
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-08-15 18:28 ` lk
From: lk @ 2001-08-15 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: God; +Cc: linux-kernel

> # echo *
> box1.071401.dump test
> #
>
> I tried to remove the file using rm, but I get the same error as ls:

do this:

 # > test
 # rm test

and it will delete the file

> # rm test
> rm: cannot remove `test': Value too large for defined data type
> #
>
> The file is taking up ~4G of space (which is reflected correctly with df,
> du will not read the file).
>
> It was a stupid thing to do, but could there be a better way for the OS to
> handle this and is there any way I can remove the file?  It's on  a 60
> Gig drive, so formatting would not be an option right about now ...
>
> The box in question (box2), is running Slack with a 2.4.3 kernel:
>
> # uname -a
> Linux box2 2.4.3 #7 SMP Sun Apr 29 13:42:05 EDT 2001 i686 unknown
> #
>

> Any thoughts?
>

> -

* Re: [BUG?] :: "Value too large for defined data type"
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-08-15 20:44 ` David Ford
From: David Ford @ 2001-08-15 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: God; +Cc: linux-kernel

You need to update your various tools and libraries.  You are being
bitten by the 32bit bug where as you need your tools to now call 64bit
functions..i.e stat64(), open64(), ...etc.

God should know these things.

David