* Re: hamachi (GNIC-II) and 2.4.9-ac9
@ 2001-09-07 16:13 Lawrence MacIntyre
From: Lawrence MacIntyre @ 2001-09-07 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan:

2.4.3-12 is the kernel in the RH7.1 alpha distribution.  I'll get 2.4.4
- 2.4.8 and see where the changes occurred.

> except that the hamachi won't work.  ifconfig shows no packets received,
> but some errors, there are no strange messages in /var/log/messages.  I
> then built the same kernel on the intel box, and the same thing

Curious. There are no hamachi driver differences between 2.4.9 and
2.4.9-ac
so the obvious question is which was the last version it did work ?
--
                                 Lawrence
                                    ~

* Re: hamachi (GNIC-II) and 2.4.9-ac9
@ 2001-09-07 18:02 Lawrence MacIntyre
From: Lawrence MacIntyre @ 2001-09-07 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hola:

2.4.4 was only trivially different from 2.4.3 so I skipped it.  2.4.5
was fine.  2.4.6 worked, but it lost a bit over 10 Mb/s in transmit
speed.  2.4.7 is broken.  I only tested on the alpha.

@ 2001-09-07 16:02 Lawrence MacIntyre
From: Lawrence MacIntyre @ 2001-09-07 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi:

If I replace the 2.4.9-ac9 hamachi.c file with the one from the stock RH
7.1 kernel distribution it works fine on the P-III and the alpha.  I
even get better performance with 2.4.9-ac9 than with the stock kernel
(340 Mb/s vs. 325 Mb/s).  There were a lot of changes in hamachi.c
between the two versions. Insmoding the driver with debug=10 showed
these 4 error numbers:
0f32e812 (CRC) 0f32c812 (CRC) 0bc25012 00d30812 (CRC).  From reading the
source, three of those point to CRC, the other isn't mentioned.  I don't
have the hamachi data sheets to look up any other possible errors.  I'm
quite willing to test any fixes if anyone has any ideas.
--
                                 Lawrence
                                    ~

@ 2001-09-07 15:12 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-09-07 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> except that the hamachi won't work.  ifconfig shows no packets received,
> but some errors, there are no strange messages in /var/log/messages.  I
> then built the same kernel on the intel box, and the same thing

Curious. There are no hamachi driver differences between 2.4.9 and 2.4.9-ac
so the obvious question is which was the last version it did work ?

* hamachi (GNIC-II) and 2.4.9-ac9
@ 2001-09-07 15:00 Lawrence MacIntyre
From: Lawrence MacIntyre @ 2001-09-07 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi:

I have two machines with the Packet Engines Gigabit Ethernet NIC GNIC-II
(hamachi) running RH7.1.  One is an alpha, the other is a dual-cpu
coppermine P-III on a SuperMicro P3DME motherboard.  I was getting 325
Mb/s between them with the stock RH kernel, and I decided to upgrade to
the 2.4.9 tree.  It won't compile on the alpha, (keyboard stuff, fixed
in -ac1), so I got the ac9 patches, and built the kernel.  It's fine,
except that the hamachi won't work.  ifconfig shows no packets received,
but some errors, there are no strange messages in /var/log/messages.  I
then built the same kernel on the intel box, and the same thing
happened.  No working hamachi.
--
                                 Lawrence
                                    ~