* Which CPU do timers run on?
@ 2001-09-09 20:46 Timur Tabi
From: Timur Tabi @ 2001-09-09 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

When I create a timer (init_timer(), etc) on an SMP system, will the timer
always run on one CPU, or can it run on any CPU?  If I disabled interrupts on
only one CPU, will that disable the timer completely?

* Re: Which CPU do timers run on?
@ 2001-09-10 18:34 ` george anzinger
From: george anzinger @ 2001-09-10 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timur Tabi; +Cc: linux-kernel

Timur Tabi wrote:

> When I create a timer (init_timer(), etc) on an SMP system, will the timer
> always run on one CPU, or can it run on any CPU?  If I disabled interrupts on
> only one CPU, will that disable the timer completely?

I believe that timers, like other interrupts, are handled by the CPU
pool.  Interrupts can be pinned to a particular cpu, but I don't think
the timer interrupt is.

George