* VM or Netscape problem?
@ 2001-09-20 22:59 Garst R. Reese
From: Garst R. Reese @ 2001-09-20 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

This could be a long standing bug as it is difficult to reproduce.
Periodically Netscape(4.75) will tell me that it cannot find anybody,
including my mail server. This is after it has already been there in the
same session. Quitting Netscape and restarting fixes the problem. When I
see this and think to look at free, I find that I am just into swap a
few Mb. I'm wondering if VM could be kicking out part of Netscape and
not getting it back (in time). I have also had the box lockup switching
back to X from a text VT and the problems could be related.
Currently on pre12.
cc
Garst

* Re: VM or Netscape problem?
@ 2001-09-20 23:38 ` Doug McNaught
From: Doug McNaught @ 2001-09-20 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Garst R. Reese; +Cc: linux-kernel

"Garst R. Reese" <reese@isn.net> writes:

> This could be a long standing bug as it is difficult to reproduce.
> Periodically Netscape(4.75) will tell me that it cannot find anybody,
> including my mail server. This is after it has already been there in the
> same session. Quitting Netscape and restarting fixes the problem. When I
> see this and think to look at free, I find that I am just into swap a
> few Mb. I'm wondering if VM could be kicking out part of Netscape and
> not getting it back (in time).

I've run into this too, under many kernels.  Netscape 4.x doesn't need
any kernel help to be buggy as hell.  I don't use it anymore.

With Mozilla where it is, I don't see any reason to run NS4 anymore,
except perhaps for compatibility testing of websites.

>                                I have also had the box lockup switching
> back to X from a text VT and the problems could be related.

Very doubtful.

-Doug
--
In a world of steel-eyed death, and men who are fighting to be warm,
Come in, she said, I'll give you shelter from the storm.    -Dylan

* Re: VM or Netscape problem?
@ 2001-09-21  0:06 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-09-21  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Garst R. Reese; +Cc: linux-kernel

> This could be a long standing bug as it is difficult to reproduce.
> Periodically Netscape(4.75) will tell me that it cannot find anybody,
> including my mail server. This is after it has already been there in the

Seems to be netscape. I've seen this problem for years. I now run Mozilla
and life is much happier

Alan

* [OT] Re: VM or Netscape problem?
@ 2001-09-21  1:02   ` J Sloan
From: J Sloan @ 2001-09-21  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: Garst R. Reese, linux-kernel

Alan Cox wrote:

> > This could be a long standing bug as it is difficult to reproduce.
> > Periodically Netscape(4.75) will tell me that it cannot find anybody,
> > including my mail server. This is after it has already been there in the
>
> Seems to be netscape. I've seen this problem for years. I now run Mozilla
> and life is much happier

Using netscape 4.78 here - other than blowing
up with a bus error every so often, it works well -

mozilla is still not quite there for me as of 0.9.4 -

cu

jjs

* Re: VM or Netscape problem?
@ 2001-09-21  4:41   ` Garst R. Reese
From: Garst R. Reese @ 2001-09-21  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Alan Cox wrote:

> > This could be a long standing bug as it is difficult to reproduce.
> > Periodically Netscape(4.75) will tell me that it cannot find anybody,
> > including my mail server. This is after it has already been there in the
>
> Seems to be netscape. I've seen this problem for years. I now run Mozilla
> and life is much happier
>
> Alan
Thanks Alan. At least I will get rid that incredibly stupid Shop button.
Garst