* CPU Temperature?
@ 2001-10-03 16:42 Harald Dunkel
From: Harald Dunkel @ 2001-10-03 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi folks,

Is there a standard interface to watch the temperature of the CPU (e.g.
Athlon Thunderbird)? Or is this a feature of my main board?

How can I access the CPU temperature, fan speed etc. from Linux?
Or is this too hardware dependent to implement a common interface?

Regards

Harri

* Re: CPU Temperature?
@ 2001-10-03 16:52 ` Joel Jaeggli
From: Joel Jaeggli @ 2001-10-03 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Dunkel; +Cc: linux-kernel

hi, you want to look at the lm_sensors project...

http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/

the temperature voltage and fan sensors on your mainboard should be
accessible without to much trouble...

joelja

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Harald Dunkel wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Is there a standard interface to watch the temperature of the CPU (e.g.
> Athlon Thunderbird)? Or is this a feature of my main board?
>
> How can I access the CPU temperature, fan speed etc. from Linux?
> Or is this too hardware dependent to implement a common interface?
>

> Regards
>
> Harri
> -

Joel Jaeggli				       joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services			     consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.

* Re: CPU Temperature?
@ 2001-10-03 17:00   ` Harald Dunkel
From: Harald Dunkel @ 2001-10-03 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Jaeggli; +Cc: linux-kernel

Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> hi, you want to look at the lm_sensors project...
>
> http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/
>
> the temperature voltage and fan sensors on your mainboard should be
> accessible without to much trouble...

Exactly what I was looking for.

Many thanx

Harri

* Re: CPU Temperature?
@ 2001-10-04 21:13 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-10-04 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: harri; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Is there a standard interface to watch the temperature of the CPU (e.g.
> Athlon Thunderbird)? Or is this a feature of my main board?

Generally it comes from the mainboard

> How can I access the CPU temperature, fan speed etc. from Linux?
> Or is this too hardware dependent to implement a common interface?

lm-sensors - it works well. Its shipped in some vendor trees

* Re: CPU Temperature?
@ 2001-10-04 21:43   ` Dan Hollis
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Dan Hollis @ 2001-10-04 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: harri, linux-kernel

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
> > How can I access the CPU temperature, fan speed etc. from Linux?
> > Or is this too hardware dependent to implement a common interface?
> lm-sensors - it works well. Its shipped in some vendor trees

Whats the schedule to merge with mainline kernel? Right now we have two
i2c trees -- the one in the kernel and the one in lm-sensors...

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]

* Re: CPU Temperature?
@ 2001-10-04 21:53     ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2001-10-04 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Hollis; +Cc: linux-kernel, alan

In article <Pine.LNX.4.30.0110041442430.3919-100000@anime.net> you wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
>> > How can I access the CPU temperature, fan speed etc. from Linux?
>> > Or is this too hardware dependent to implement a common interface?
>> lm-sensors - it works well. Its shipped in some vendor trees
>
> Whats the schedule to merge with mainline kernel? Right now we have two
> i2c trees -- the one in the kernel and the one in lm-sensors...

2.4.10-ac4 contains the latest i2c code.

	Christoph

* Re: CPU Temperature?
@ 2001-10-04 21:57     ` William Park
From: William Park @ 2001-10-04 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 02:43:24PM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > > How can I access the CPU temperature, fan speed etc. from Linux?
> > > Or is this too hardware dependent to implement a common interface?
>
> > lm-sensors - it works well. Its shipped in some vendor trees
>
> Whats the schedule to merge with mainline kernel? Right now we have
> two i2c trees -- the one in the kernel and the one in lm-sensors...

On my Abit VP6, hardware monitoring is on IO address 0x294h to 0x297h.
Why do we have to patch kernel and load module?  Isn't there something
simpler which we can compile and run as root?

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>
8 CPU cluster, Linux (Slackware), Python, LaTeX, Vim, Mutt, Tin

* Re: CPU Temperature?
@ 2001-10-04 22:09     ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-10-04 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Hollis; +Cc: Alan Cox, harri, linux-kernel

> On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > How can I access the CPU temperature, fan speed etc. from Linux?
> > > Or is this too hardware dependent to implement a common interface?
> > lm-sensors - it works well. Its shipped in some vendor trees
>
> Whats the schedule to merge with mainline kernel? Right now we have two
> i2c trees -- the one in the kernel and the one in lm-sensors...

The -ac tree is in sync. Hch did the leg work for that

* Re: CPU Temperature?
@ 2001-10-07  8:58       ` Harald Dunkel
From: Harald Dunkel @ 2001-10-07  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: Dan Hollis, linux-kernel

Of course I would be interested to get the lm_sensors included in the
kernel, too. Is this still an option for 2.4.x?

Regards

Harri

* Re: CPU Temperature?
@ 2001-10-07 10:10         ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-10-07 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: harri; +Cc: Alan Cox, Dan Hollis, linux-kernel

> Of course I would be interested to get the lm_sensors included in the
> kernel, too. Is this still an option for 2.4.x?

It doesnt break the machine, replace key parts of the core of the system or
change critical interfaces. By conventional standards its ok, by 2.4.10
standards its not a candidate 8)

I'm certainly prepared to go through the files trying to poke holes in them
and its stuff I think just about every vendor already ships anyway

* Re: CPU Temperature?
@ 2001-10-08  0:27           ` J . A . Magallon
From: J . A . Magallon @ 2001-10-08  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: harri, Alan Cox, Dan Hollis, linux-kernel

On 20011007 Alan Cox wrote:
>> Of course I would be interested to get the lm_sensors included in the
>> kernel, too. Is this still an option for 2.4.x?
>
>It doesnt break the machine, replace key parts of the core of the system or
>change critical interfaces. By conventional standards its ok, by 2.4.10
>standards its not a candidate 8)

Latest CVS release has even changed all the malloc includes to slabs, so
is there any non-cosmetic problem ?

--
J.A. Magallon                           #  Let the source be with you...
mailto:jamagallon@able.es

* Re: CPU Temperature?
       [not found] <200110051951.f95JpTn00470@node0.opengeometry.ca>
@ 2001-10-05 20:56 ` William Park