* IDE
@ 2002-05-03 22:40 Andries.Brouwer
From: Andries.Brouwer @ 2002-05-03 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dalecki, linux-kernel

< Recap >

== I have had problems with 2.5.10 (first few blocks of the root
== filesystem overwritten) and then went back to 2.5.8 that I had
== used for a while already, but then also noticed corruption there.
== Back at 2.4.17 today..

< Optimistic reply >

= It could very well be that the recent changes could have cured this.

< Reality of today >

Booted a vanilla 2.5.12. It did not succeed in mounting the root
filesystem, but instead wrote zeros over the superblock.

	hdb: task_out_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

Will try 2.5.13 later.

Andries

[So, 2.5.8 causes very slow corruption, and can be used for
several hours, sometimes days, before something bad happens.
And bad things only happen to disks on HPT366.
On the other hand, 2.5.10 and 2.5.12 fail directly at boot
in precisely the same way and with a disk on the mb.]

% grep _IDE .config | grep -v '#'
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y

* Re: IDE
@ 2002-05-03 23:01 ` Alessandro Suardi
From: Alessandro Suardi @ 2002-05-03 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andries.Brouwer; +Cc: dalecki, linux-kernel

Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:
> < Recap >
>
> == I have had problems with 2.5.10 (first few blocks of the root
> == filesystem overwritten) and then went back to 2.5.8 that I had
> == used for a while already, but then also noticed corruption there.
> == Back at 2.4.17 today..
>
> < Optimistic reply >
>
> = It could very well be that the recent changes could have cured this.
>
> < Reality of today >
>
> Booted a vanilla 2.5.12. It did not succeed in mounting the root
> filesystem, but instead wrote zeros over the superblock.
>
> 	hdb: task_out_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
>
> Will try 2.5.13 later.

Managed to boot all versions (though some ext3 journal replay
  showed up even after clean shutdowns), seems to be okay and
  mashed my disk with installing of Portal today - no issue,
  only a positive note for the 2.5.13 VM which allowed me to
  finish in 48' what 2.4.19-pre7 couldn't finish in over 2h.

Dell laptop with a PIIX4 chipset, btw.

--alessandro

  "the hands that build / can also pull down
    even the hands of love"
                             (U2, "Exit")

* IDE
@ 2003-05-22 20:54 Ian Molton
From: Ian Molton @ 2003-05-22 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi.

I've got an old IDE disc (Quantum Maverick 270A) and it appears to be
detected OK, however I get about 15 hda: lost interrupt between
detection and printing the partition table (which seems to go OK).

this is on 2.5.69, with my own IDE driver (which I ported from 2.4.16)

any ideas? I heard 2.5 doesnt like some very old drives...

--
Spyros lair: http://www.mnementh.co.uk/
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with

Systems programmers keep it up longer.