* re: RAMFS turned read-only after upgrade to 2.4.19-pre3
@ 2002-05-15 16:22 Dan Kegel
From: Dan Kegel @ 2002-05-15 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, linux-kernel

Roy wrote:
> after upgrading from 2.4.19-pre3-ac1 tp 2.4.19-pre8-ac3,
> RAMFS is suddenly read-only. This is extremely inconvinient ...
> How can I mend it?

I ran into the same thing.  I only use ramfs as my initial boot
disk; upon boot I pivot root to tmpfs.  Thus in my application,
one workaround was to make the new root directory before creating
the ramdisk image.  Since that was the only write I ever did to
the initial ramdisk, avoiding the write let me boot again.

I have no idea why ramfs went ro.  It is annoying.  I haven't
tracked it down, though, since I was able to work around it.
(I may have to track it down yet, though, since I was thinking
of using ramfs to hold files that I intend to use with sendfile,
since tmpfs and sendfile don't [yet] mix.)
- Dan

* RAMFS turned read-only after upgrade to 2.4.19-pre3
@ 2002-05-15 15:14 Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2002-05-15 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

hi

after upgrading from 2.4.19-pre3-ac1 tp 2.4.19-pre8-ac3, and RAMFS is
suddenly read-only. This is extremely inconvinient ... How can I mend it?

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

Computers are like air conditioners.