* Problems with 2.4 and 2.5 with KVM/mouse
@ 2002-09-11  0:00 Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2002-09-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have two machines on a KVM and when I switch between them the mouse
pointer goes wacky and causes random clicks. This has always been
somewhat of a problem when both machines were running 2.4 but there was
a workaround.  If I switched consoles (alt-F1, alt-F7) then the mouse
would restore back to correct behaviour.

Now, on my test machine running 2.5 the mouse works until I do a KVM
machine swap. Then the 2.5 machine never clears up the mouse wackiness
and the only choice is to reboot.

The mouse is a Logitech optical mouse with a wheel "Wheel mouse". The
mouseconfig is the same on both machines. The KVM is a Belkin four port.

Probably the simplest is to buy another mouse or switch to USB...

* Re: Problems with 2.4 and 2.5 with KVM/mouse
@ 2002-09-16 18:56 ` Stephen Aiken
From: Stephen Aiken @ 2002-09-16 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Now, on my test machine running 2.5 the mouse works until I do a KVM
>machine swap. Then the 2.5 machine never clears up the mouse wackiness
>and the only choice is to reboot.

Have you tried restarting gpm?

-Steve
--
The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life.

* Re: Problems with 2.4 and 2.5 with KVM/mouse
@ 2002-09-16 22:33   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2002-09-16 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

No change when gpm is killed and restarted

@ 2002-09-19 18:36     ` Andreas Steinmetz
From: Andreas Steinmetz @ 2002-09-19 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I do remember that I have one board in my company that doesn't like KVMs
at all (please don't ask for the brand, I'm offsite for a while and
don't remember the type). All other boards connected to KVMs (different
types) and running Linux 2.4 (various versions) work fine.
So I guess you do have a hardware (board) problem.

Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> No change when gpm is killed and restarted
>
> On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 11:56, Stephen Aiken wrote:
>
>>>Now, on my test machine running 2.5 the mouse works until I do a KVM
>>>machine swap. Then the 2.5 machine never clears up the mouse wackiness
>>>and the only choice is to reboot.
>>
>>Have you tried restarting gpm?
>>
>>-Steve
>>--
>>The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life.
>

> -

Andreas Steinmetz
D.O.M. Datenverarbeitung GmbH