* 2.5.43 smp bootup crash
@ 2002-10-17  7:01 Helge Hafting
From: Helge Hafting @ 2002-10-17  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

2.5.43 smp (with Andrew Morton's md-fix)
didn't survive bootup.

It produced a backtrace so long that most of it
scrolled off the screen, before stating that
it didn't sync in an interrupt handler.

The machine was dead, even sysrq+B couldn't
reboot it.

The kernel has preempt, and autodetection of
raid-1 and raid-0.

Helge Hafting

* Re: 2.5.43 smp bootup crash, more info - probably scsi/raid
@ 2002-10-17 10:18 ` Helge Hafting
From: Helge Hafting @ 2002-10-17 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: neilb, groudier, axboe; +Cc: linux-kernel, Andrew Morton

Helge Hafting wrote:

> It produced a backtrace so long that most of it
> scrolled off the screen, before stating that
> it didn't sync in an interrupt handler.

Some of the functions in the trace was scsi stuff.
I have a tekram scsi controller, driven by
"SYM53C8XX Version 2 SCSI support"

The crash happens immediately after initializing
the controller and discovering the two
disks.  This is where autodetection
of RAID usually happens.
So it seems to me that it is either some
scsi problem, or a RAID problem.

The problem affects both 2.5.43 and 2.5.43-mm2.

@ 2002-10-19 17:45   ` bill davidsen
From: bill davidsen @ 2002-10-19 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <3DAE8E90.D3E7CACF@aitel.hist.no>,
Helge Hafting  <helgehaf@aitel.hist.no> wrote:
| Helge Hafting wrote:
|
| > It produced a backtrace so long that most of it
| > scrolled off the screen, before stating that
| > it didn't sync in an interrupt handler.
| >
| Some of the functions in the trace was scsi stuff.
| I have a tekram scsi controller, driven by
| "SYM53C8XX Version 2 SCSI support"
|
| The crash happens immediately after initializing
| the controller and discovering the two
| disks.  This is where autodetection
| of RAID usually happens.
| So it seems to me that it is either some
| scsi problem, or a RAID problem.
|
| The problem affects both 2.5.43 and 2.5.43-mm2.

Is it an OOPS or just a BUG? I got a BUG until I applied the patch, now
my SCSI devices don't actually work, but I don't get an OOPS.

See my other post on the patch, or write my off-list if you can't find it.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

* Re: 2.5.43 smp bootup crash, more info - probably scsi/raid
@ 2002-10-20  9:37     ` Helge Hafting
From: Helge Hafting @ 2002-10-20  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bill davidsen; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 05:45:45PM +0000, bill davidsen wrote:
> In article <3DAE8E90.D3E7CACF@aitel.hist.no>,
> Helge Hafting  <helgehaf@aitel.hist.no> wrote:
[...]
> | The problem affects both 2.5.43 and 2.5.43-mm2.
>
> Is it an OOPS or just a BUG? I got a BUG until I applied the patch, now
> my SCSI devices don't actually work, but I don't get an OOPS.

Hard to say - the first part scrolls off screen immediately, then
the machine hangs. All I see is the last part of a
backtrace and a machine that don't respond to anything but the
reset and power switches.

This is fixed in 2.5.44 though, there were some known issues with
the md driver and vfs.

Helge Hafting