* Re: File system corruption under 2.4.21-pre5-ac1
@ 2003-03-31 19:26 ` Justin T. Gibbs
From: Justin T. Gibbs @ 2003-03-31 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Flory, linux-kernel; +Cc: gibbs

>    I'm seeing filesystem corruption on a number of intel SE7501wv2's under
> 2.4.21-pre5-ac1.  The systems are running Cerberus (ctcs).  They fail the
> kcompile, and memtst tests.

Are you running the aic79xx driver version embedded in that kernel version
or the latest from my site?

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gibbs/linux/SRC/

--
Justin

* File system corruption under 2.4.21-pre5-ac1
@ 2003-04-01  1:25 Samuel Flory
From: Samuel Flory @ 2003-04-01  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: gibbs

   I'm seeing filesystem corruption on a number of intel SE7501wv2's
under 2.4.21-pre5-ac1.  The systems are running Cerberus (ctcs).  They
fail the kcompile, and memtst tests.

   At 1st I thought it was memory, but the systems are fine under
memtest86, and the Cerberus memtst failures disappear if I turn off my
swap devices.  The kcompile failures seem to point to  random file
corruption from copying the kernel tree.  (Cerberus copies a new copy of
the kernel for each compile.)

  I suspect the aic79xx driver as:

1)I've running ctcs with the same kernel on 100+ SE7501wv2 with ide drives.
2)This occurs under reiserfs, and ext3.
3)I've been using 2.4.21-pre5-ac1 to burnin systems for quite some time.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.

* Re: File system corruption under 2.4.21-pre5-ac1
@ 2003-04-01 18:11   ` Samuel Flory
From: Samuel Flory @ 2003-04-01 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin T. Gibbs; +Cc: linux-kernel

Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

>>    I'm seeing filesystem corruption on a number of intel SE7501wv2's
>> under
>> 2.4.21-pre5-ac1.  The systems are running Cerberus (ctcs).  They fail
>> the
>> kcompile, and memtst tests.
>

> Are you running the aic79xx driver version embedded in that kernel
> version
> or the latest from my site?
>
> http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gibbs/linux/SRC/

  That seems to have fixed the issues.  All of the systems burned in
over night with out issue.   Thanks.

--

@ 2003-04-02  7:14   ` Martin.Knoblauch
From: Martin.Knoblauch @ 2003-04-02  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Flory; +Cc: gibbs, linux-kernel

Samuel Flory <sflory@rackable.com> wrote on 04/01/2003 10:23:11 PM:

> Martin Knoblauch wrote:
>
> >>Re: File system corruption under 2.4.21-pre5-ac1
> >>
> >>From: Justin T. Gibbs (gibbs@scsiguy.com)
> >>Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 14:26:27 EST

> >>Are you running the aic79xx driver version embedded in that kernel
version
> >>or the latest from my site?
> >>
> >>http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gibbs/linux/SRC/
> >>

> >Justin,
> >
> > would you call the 1.3.6 version of aic79xx stable or "production
> >quality"? There still seems to be quite a lot of changes going on.
> >

>    Up until this point I've found the aic79xx driver to be very stable.
>  I know people running 100s of systems without issue on older revs of
> the driver.

 The point is that the older drivers seem to be a bit fragile when things
go wrong. If everything is perfect, the 1.1.0 driver is OK. If you
something "marginal" in the setup things get ugly. So I'd like to know
which version Justin would reccomend :-)

Martin

* Re: File system corruption under 2.4.21-pre5-ac1
@ 2003-04-02  0:44     ` Justin T. Gibbs
From: Justin T. Gibbs @ 2003-04-02  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin.Knoblauch, Samuel Flory; +Cc: gibbs, linux-kernel

> So I'd like to know which version Justin would reccomend :-)

I always recommend the latest release.

--
Justin

* Re: File system corruption under 2.4.21-pre5-ac1
@ 2003-04-01 20:23 ` Samuel Flory
From: Samuel Flory @ 2003-04-01 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin.knoblauch ; +Cc: gibbs, linux-kernel

@ 2003-04-01  8:46 Martin Knoblauch