* [ANNOUNCE] New kernel tree for embedded linux
@ 2003-04-07 17:10 Jörn Engel
From: Jörn Engel @ 2003-04-07 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi!

Some days ago, I've started a -je [*] tree which will focus on memory
reduction for the linux kernel.

The RATIONALE is that on a ppc with some flash, memory, network and
nothing much else, I don't feel like parsing MS-DOS partitions,
offering IPX networking etc., but that junk is still included in
2.[45].current - unconditionally. And there is more...

My first GOAL is to add config options that rip the code out for any
platform that doesn't need, yet keeps it in for everyone that does. If
I don't know what the code is needed for, I'll just rip it out and
wait for bug reports - hopefully.

If I feel that any particular patch is clean enough for mainline, I'll
forward it to Linus/Marcello.

WHO should use this tree:
- Anyone concerned about memory footprint of the linux kernel, both of
the image and during runtime. This will mainly be embedded developers,
I guess.
- Anyone. :)
Bugreports of any kind will help me to clean up the patches and get
them included in mainline. I personally run them on my PIII notebook,
right now, and things didn't break. (Yet?)

HOW can you help:
- Any patch that reduces the memory footprint on _any_ platform is
welcome. Even the worst hacks should be cleaned up over time to work
for everyone.
- Test the patches and:
 - Send bugreports. They will help to clean up the patches.
 - Send works-for-me reports with a rough outline of the hardware
 used.  When things start to work for many people on many platforms,
 it may be time for mainline.
- Send any other patches and convince me that they help embedded
people by my definition (whichever that may be at that time).

WHAT patches will I ignore/reject:
- Anything that does not help embedded (my definition, see above).
That stuff should go into -ac, -dj, -mm, -aa or whereever.

Finallly, WHERE can you get it:
http://wh.fh-wedel.de/~joern/software/kernel/je/24/patch-2.4.20-je1
http://wh.fh-wedel.de/~joern/software/kernel/je/25/patch-2.5.66-je1

DISCLAIMER:
No, the server does not support directory browsing, there is no
mailing list and there are currently only three patches in the 2.4
tree and two in the 2.5 tree. 2.5 is untested, looks broken and I
should put some work in it.
These patches may cost you time, money and precious hardware, I don't
guarantee for anything and IANAL. Anything else?

Jörn

[*] Obviously, je stands for "just embedded", which means I only take
patches that help some embedded platform. What have you thought?

--
A surrounded army must be given a way out.
-- Sun Tzu

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] New kernel tree for embedded linux
@ 2003-04-07 20:48 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2003-04-07 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J?rn Engel; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 07:10:37PM +0200, J?rn Engel wrote:

> Some days ago, I've started a -je [*] tree which will focus on memory
> reduction for the linux kernel.

First, I'd like to say please, no, everyone can benefit from _every
change_ you want to make in your tree, and it's not just an 'embedded'
issue.

Second, please look up the archives (this past June -> August maybe?)
for the CONFIG_TINY thread.  Under that was my TWEAKS idea.  If this
sounds useful to you, I can try and dig up the last patch I had that got
all of the dependancy stuff correct, except that you had to run a
command if you changed a TWEAK value.

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] New kernel tree for embedded linux
@ 2003-04-08  9:33 ` Jan-Benedict Glaw
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw @ 2003-04-08  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Mon, 2003-04-07 19:10:37 +0200, Jörn Engel <joern@wohnheim.fh-wedel.de>
wrote in message <20030407171037.GB8178@wohnheim.fh-wedel.de>:
> Hi!
>
> Some days ago, I've started a -je [*] tree which will focus on memory
> reduction for the linux kernel.

If you can live with being blind, substiture printk with a macro (doing
nothing but eventually evaluating the parameters). That'll easily give
you another 100K or even more.

MfG, JBG

      ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(IRAQ_WAR_2 | DRM | TCPA));

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] New kernel tree for embedded linux
@ 2003-04-08 12:49   ` Jörn Engel
From: Jörn Engel @ 2003-04-08 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Rini; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 7 April 2003 13:48:12 -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 07:10:37PM +0200, J?rn Engel wrote:
>
> > Some days ago, I've started a -je [*] tree which will focus on memory
> > reduction for the linux kernel.
>
> First, I'd like to say please, no, everyone can benefit from _every
> change_ you want to make in your tree, and it's not just an 'embedded'
> issue.

Right. The purpose of this tree is not to keep changes out of
mainline, but to test and enhance some of the uglier ones before they
go in.
In a perfect world, my tree would contain exactly zero patches. :)

> Second, please look up the archives (this past June -> August maybe?)
> for the CONFIG_TINY thread.  Under that was my TWEAKS idea.  If this
> sounds useful to you, I can try and dig up the last patch I had that got
> all of the dependancy stuff correct, except that you had to run a
> command if you changed a TWEAK value.

Will do. Just give me a little time.

Jörn

--
There's nothing better for promoting creativity in a medium than
making an audience feel "Hmm ­ I could do better than that!"

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] New kernel tree for embedded linux
@ 2003-04-08 14:20   ` Ville Herva
From: Ville Herva @ 2003-04-08 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 11:33:30AM +0200, you [Jan-Benedict Glaw] wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-04-07 19:10:37 +0200, Jörn Engel <joern@wohnheim.fh-wedel.de>
> wrote in message <20030407171037.GB8178@wohnheim.fh-wedel.de>:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Some days ago, I've started a -je [*] tree which will focus on memory
> > reduction for the linux kernel.
>
> If you can live with being blind, substiture printk with a macro (doing
> nothing but eventually evaluating the parameters). That'll easily give
> you another 100K or even more.

There was a quite flexible solution proposed sometime ago...

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&threadm=20021024030143.GA13661%40eskimo.com&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dprintk%2BCONFIG_TINY%26num%3D50%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg

-- v --

v@iki.fi

* PC300 driver for kernel 2.4
@ 2003-04-09  9:47     ` Henrique Gobbi
From: Henrique Gobbi @ 2003-04-09  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgarzik; +Cc: linux-kernel, marcelo

Hello !!!

Please include the patch attached to the e-mail to the next pre release
of the kernel 2.4.21. This patch contains the Cyclades PC300 driver and
the Makefiles modifications to compile such driver.

thanks in advance
Henrique

[-- Attachment #2: pc300-linux2.4.21-pre7.patch.bz2 --]
[-- Type: application/x-bzip2, Size: 36257 bytes --]

* Re: PC300 driver for kernel 2.4
@ 2003-04-10 11:00       ` Stephan von Krawczynski
From: Stephan von Krawczynski @ 2003-04-10 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: henrique.gobbi; +Cc: henrique2.gobbi, jgarzik, linux-kernel, marcelo

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 09:47:30 +0000
Henrique Gobbi <henrique2.gobbi@cyclades.com> wrote:

> Hello !!!
>
> Please include the patch attached to the e-mail to the next pre release
> of the kernel 2.4.21. This patch contains the Cyclades PC300 driver and
> the Makefiles modifications to compile such driver.
>
> thanks in advance
> Henrique

Thanks Henrique,

I am still very much for its inclusion. Just to give a positive vote ...

Regards,
Stephan