* Re: [2.5.68] no console messages after switch to FB (matrox
@ 2003-04-22 15:48 Petr Vandrovec
From: Petr Vandrovec @ 2003-04-22 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagn Scott; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 21 Apr 03 at 13:39, Vagn Scott wrote:
> config is below
> Sun Apr 20 18:20:24 EDT 2003
> 2.5.68
> ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/mga-2.5.68.gz
> (please CC: me, as I'm not on the list)
> --------------------------------
> 1. While booting things look normal
> until the lovely little Tux logo appears,
> then no more console messages are written to the screen.
> The box still boots, however.
>
> Turned off logo, same thing: as soon as it switches
> to the FB no more boot messages appear.

Some special boot time options?

> CONFIG_FB=y
> CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
> CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
> CONFIG_FB_MATROX=y

Are you sure that your boot messages are directed to the matroxfb and
not to the vesa?

In the past keyword for selecting matroxfb options was 'video=matrox:...',
while now it is 'video=matroxfb:...', so you may have to modify your
lilo.conf line (and do not ask me why these two letters were added if
we have video= prefix... I do not know).
                                            Best regards,
                                                Petr Vandrovec
                                                vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

* Re: [2.5.68] no console messages after switch to FB (matrox
@ 2003-04-22 23:12 Petr Vandrovec
From: Petr Vandrovec @ 2003-04-22 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagn Scott; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 22 Apr 03 at 18:07, Vagn Scott wrote:
> Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> >
> > > CONFIG_FB=y
> > > CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
> > > CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
> > > CONFIG_FB_MATROX=y
> >
> > Are you sure that your boot messages are directed to the matroxfb and
> > not to the vesa?
> >
> > In the past keyword for selecting matroxfb options was 'video=matrox:...',
> > while now it is 'video=matroxfb:...', so you may have to modify your
> > lilo.conf line (and do not ask me why these two letters were added if
> > we have video= prefix... I do not know).
>
> Adding video=matroxfb did the trick.  Thanks for the tip.
>
> I still don't understand the logic of it, though.
> If the kernel can find the resources to present the logo,
> why can't it just keep using those resources for the rest
> of the boot?

Ask James... I assume that new fbdev paints logo on all fbdevs it finds...
                                                    Petr Vandrovec