* kernel.bkbits.net and BK->CVS gateway
@ 2003-05-10 14:04 Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2003-05-10 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Try #2, first one didn't seem make it.

Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 19:46:13 -0700
Cc: hpa@transmeta.com, davem@redhat.com
Subject: kernel.bkbits.net and BK->CVS gateway

We replaced the bad drive and are restoring home directories.
Once we have the restore done, we'll turn on people's accounts again.
We are shutting off nightly backups for a few days so that we have
the backups to cherry pick any missing config files, etc.

This bad disk is the cause of the CVS gateway being screwed up, we should
have that back online tonight or tomorrow.  Sorry about the downtime.

Peter, once it's back can you do whatever you did to get the resync stuff
going (if you put a startup script in /etc/init.d, don't worry about it,
I'll restore that and restart).

Dave, I put RH 7.3 on there but didn't install any security fixes, you get
to do that fun job if you care.
--
---
Larry McVoy              lm at bitmover.com          http://www.bitmover.com/lm

----- End forwarded message -----

--
---
Larry McVoy              lm at bitmover.com          http://www.bitmover.com/lm

* Re: kernel.bkbits.net and BK->CVS gateway
@ 2003-05-10 15:34 ` Ben Collins
From: Ben Collins @ 2003-05-10 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy, linux-kernel

> This bad disk is the cause of the CVS gateway being screwed up, we should
> have that back online tonight or tomorrow.  Sorry about the downtime.

Any idea if the new repo will be revision compatible with the old bkcvs?
IOW, will checkouts have to be redone?

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/

* Re: kernel.bkbits.net and BK->CVS gateway
@ 2003-05-10 15:43     ` Ben Collins
From: Ben Collins @ 2003-05-10 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy, linux-kernel

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 09:06:51AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 11:34:16AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > > This bad disk is the cause of the CVS gateway being screwed up, we should
> > > have that back online tonight or tomorrow.  Sorry about the downtime.
> >
> > Any idea if the new repo will be revision compatible with the old bkcvs?
> > IOW, will checkouts have to be redone?
>
> It should be 100% compatible, I build the CVS repo here and mirror it to
> kernel.bkbits.net.  You should be all set.

Ah, so bkbits wasn't the primary source. Thanks again Larry.

--

@ 2003-05-10 16:06   ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2003-05-10 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Collins; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2003-05-10 16:22       ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2003-05-10 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Collins; +Cc: Larry McVoy, linux-kernel

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 11:43:52AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:

> > > Any idea if the new repo will be revision compatible with the old bkcvs?
> > > IOW, will checkouts have to be redone?
> >
> > It should be 100% compatible, I build the CVS repo here and mirror it to
> > kernel.bkbits.net.  You should be all set.
>
> Ah, so bkbits wasn't the primary source. Thanks again Larry.

I'm not sure that I follow that, but

    a) kernel.bkbits.net is fully backed up nightly so we wouldn't lose it
       there
    b) the CVS tree is generated on my desktop so we have a mirror of it
       there
    c) HPA mirrors the CVS tree to kernel.org so we have a third copy there
    d) Regenerating the the CVS tree from scratch will generate the same
       revs.

In other words, I think you're safe.  Famous last words, we'll now discover
that our friends in .cz have written the world's first BK virus and it
corrupts the CVS tree.  Or something.  Regardless, we've taken steps to
make sure the CVS data is safe and restorable.
--
---

@ 2003-05-10 19:23         ` Jan Harkes
From: Jan Harkes @ 2003-05-10 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 09:22:07AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> In other words, I think you're safe.  Famous last words, we'll now discover
> that our friends in .cz have written the world's first BK virus and it
> corrupts the CVS tree.  Or something.  Regardless, we've taken steps to
> make sure the CVS data is safe and restorable.

Could you please stop making random accusations? Pavel probably has
better things to do than to write a 'BK virus'. And about that comment
'taking steps to make sure CVS data is safe'...

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 07:04:55AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> Dave, I put RH 7.3 on there but didn't install any security fixes, you get
> to do that fun job if you care.

Hmm, let's see https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rh73-errata-security.html

Remote vulnerabilities for at least, CVS, OpenSSH, OpenSSL, Sendmail,
Apache, Samba, and MySQL.

I sure hope Dave cared, because I wouldn't even consider plugging an
unpatched anything into the network in the first place. Let alone
announce this fact to a widely distributed mailing list.

Even without such a clear announcement any new machine that I connect is
typically portscanned within 30 minutes. Maybe the situation is worse at
CMU because CERT is in our address space or something, but still.

Jan

* Re: kernel.bkbits.net and BK->CVS gateway
@ 2003-05-10 19:55           ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2003-05-10 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 03:23:03PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 09:22:07AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > In other words, I think you're safe.  Famous last words, we'll now discover
> > that our friends in .cz have written the world's first BK virus and it
> > corrupts the CVS tree.  Or something.  Regardless, we've taken steps to
> > make sure the CVS data is safe and restorable.
>
> Could you please stop making random accusations? Pavel probably has

Could you please stop whining about something that was clearly a joke?
Jeeze, get a sense of humor already.

> better things to do than to write a 'BK virus'. And about that comment
> 'taking steps to make sure CVS data is safe'...
>
> On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 07:04:55AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > Dave, I put RH 7.3 on there but didn't install any security fixes, you get
> > to do that fun job if you care.
>
> Hmm, let's see https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rh73-errata-security.html

Well aren't we the do goody little sys admin.  For your information, those
patches were applied before I opened up the box, turned on accounts, or
turned on CVS.

    [root@kernel root]# up2date -u
    None of the packages you requested were found, or they are already updated.

> I sure hope Dave cared, because I wouldn't even consider plugging an
> unpatched anything into the network in the first place. Let alone
> announce this fact to a widely distributed mailing list.

So are you volunteering to manage that machine?  Or just complaining?

It *never* fails to amaze me.  I spend my friday night in a colo, spend
saturday morning finishing the job, and some arm chair quarterback
has to come along and rudely tell me that I'm not doing it right?!?
Would it be any surprise if the next time there is a problem we just
let it slide for a few weeks before it gets fixed?

    "it's about being nice to people especially the ones that help you."

What he said.

* Re: kernel.bkbits.net and BK->CVS gateway
@ 2003-05-10 20:01                   ` David S. Miller
From: David S. Miller @ 2003-05-10 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zippel; +Cc: lm, linux-kernel

   From: Roman Zippel <zippel@linux-m68k.org>
   Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 22:59:18 +0200 (CEST)

   Could please show me, where it was rude?

This fish doesn't bite, go fishing at another pond.

* Re: kernel.bkbits.net and BK->CVS gateway
@ 2003-05-10 20:21             ` Roman Zippel
From: Roman Zippel @ 2003-05-10 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi,

On Sat, 10 May 2003, Larry McVoy wrote:

>     "it's about being nice to people especially the ones that help you."
>
> What he said.

So that gives you a right to be an ass to anyone who critizes you?

bye, Roman

* Re: kernel.bkbits.net and BK->CVS gateway
@ 2003-05-10 20:42               ` David S. Miller
From: David S. Miller @ 2003-05-10 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Zippel; +Cc: Larry McVoy, linux-kernel

On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 13:21, Roman Zippel wrote:
> On Sat, 10 May 2003, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> >     "it's about being nice to people especially the ones that help you."
> >
> > What he said.
>
> So that gives you a right to be an ass to anyone who critizes you?

He has every right to be upset at people who are buttfucking
him in public constantly.

This person was rude and totally out of order with his comments.
He's making it entirely a personal attack at Larry.

And to that I'd say "fuck you" too.

--
David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com>

* Re: kernel.bkbits.net and BK->CVS gateway
@ 2003-05-10 20:44               ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2003-05-10 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Zippel; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 10:21:55PM +0200, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 10 May 2003, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> >     "it's about being nice to people especially the ones that help you."
> >
> > What he said.
>
> So that gives you a right to be an ass to anyone who critizes you?

A-trolling we will go, a-trolling we will go, hi ho, the merry-o,
a-trolling we will go.

Not gonna bite, can't do it, wouldn't be prudent, Barbara wouldn't like it.

* Re: kernel.bkbits.net and BK->CVS gateway
@ 2003-05-10 20:59                 ` Roman Zippel
From: Roman Zippel @ 2003-05-10 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David S. Miller; +Cc: Larry McVoy, linux-kernel

Hi,

@ 2003-05-10 21:15                     ` Roman Zippel
From: Roman Zippel @ 2003-05-10 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David S. Miller; +Cc: lm, linux-kernel

Hi,

On Sat, 10 May 2003, David S. Miller wrote:

>    Could please show me, where it was rude?
>
> This fish doesn't bite, go fishing at another pond.

IOW you don't know it either... :(

bye, Roman

* Re: kernel.bkbits.net and BK->CVS gateway
@ 2003-05-10 21:28             ` Roman Zippel
From: Roman Zippel @ 2003-05-10 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi,

On Sat, 10 May 2003, Larry McVoy wrote:

>     "it's about being nice to people especially the ones that help you."
>
> What he said.

BTW here is a new quote for you:
"Treat others the way you want to be treated!"

bye, Roman

* Re: kernel.bkbits.net and BK->CVS gateway
@ 2003-05-10 21:43         ` Ben Collins
From: Ben Collins @ 2003-05-10 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy, Larry McVoy, linux-kernel

Things appear to be back working again. Thanks Larry.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/
Deqo       - http://www.deqo.com/

* Make kernel.bkbits.net public via web? [was Re: kernel.bkbits.net and BK->CVS gateway]
@ 2003-05-11 15:45 ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2003-05-11 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Larry McVoy wrote:
> Try #2, first one didn't seem make it.

> Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 19:46:13 -0700
> Cc: hpa@transmeta.com, davem@redhat.com
> Subject: kernel.bkbits.net and BK->CVS gateway
>
> We replaced the bad drive and are restoring home directories.
> Once we have the restore done, we'll turn on people's accounts again.
> We are shutting off nightly backups for a few days so that we have
> the backups to cherry pick any missing config files, etc.

[SNIP]

Larry,

I was wondering if you would considier putting a bkbits web frontend on
kernel.bkbits.net.  I can think of a few cases where it might come in
handy.  For example, one of the devs is too busy (understandably) to
roll a patch at a given point in time and states in response to a bug
report that (s)he'll get linus to pull the fixes later on.  In this
case, people who like to live dangerously and don't want to wait might
take it upon themselves to surf over to kernel.bkbits.net and download
the ChangeSet rather than cloning an *entire* tree just to get it.  I
suppose this would also serve as a means for people who do not (or
cannot) use bitkeeper to get said ChangeSet.

Cheers,
Nicholas