From: "Mika Penttilä" <mika.penttila@kolumbus.fi>
To: "David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com>
Cc: willy@debian.org, jgarzik@pobox.com,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, ink@jurassic.park.msu.ru
Subject: Re: Message Signalled Interrupt support?
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 21:54:09 +0300	[thread overview]

I think that  MSI should be made quite explicit. If the device and
platform both support MSI, then the driver should be able to ask for
MSI, but kernel must be able to deny it. All devices supporting MSI must
support also pin based interrupt delivery. As MSI can be costy (one
interrupt vector per device for instance), it could be that a device has
to work in pin based mode instead.

--Mika