* Antwort: Re: Oops in Kernel 2.4.21-rc1
@ 2003-05-27 13:22 Werner.Beck
From: Werner.Beck @ 2003-05-27 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c-d.hailfinger.kernel.2003; +Cc: linux-kernel

could that be the process mandb and aaa_base which where affected by the
oops? How to disable this "feature"?

|---------+------------------------------------>
|         |           Carl-Daniel Hailfinger   |
|         |           <c-d.hailfinger.kernel.20|
|         |           03@gmx.net>              |
|         |                                    |
|         |           27.05.2003 14:18         |
|         |                                    |
|---------+------------------------------------>
  |       An:       Werner.Beck@Lidl.de                                                                                          |
  |       Kopie:    linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org                                                                                 |
  |       Thema:    Re: Oops in Kernel 2.4.21-rc1                                                                                |

Werner.Beck@Lidl.de wrote:
> Hello,
> I encountered a Kernel oops on two different PCs, both a configured
> identical. The system uses an ISDN connection to an Internet ISP and then
> establishes a VPN tunnel based on PPTP.
> As far as I can see in /var/log/messages the problem occurred on both
> system at the same time at 00:15, but not at the same day and not every

You are using SuSE 7.3, which leads me to the assumption that the
nightly cronjob at 00:15 is triggering this. One of the culprits I can
imagine is the updatedb run at that time. However, this is only
guesswork. The Oops itself does not give me any idea. Perhaps someone
else can help.

> day. No special program is running at that time. Basically it is a SuSE
7.3
> distribution, I made a Kernel upgrade.
> Hardware is a Fujitsu Siemens N300 PC with an IDE (7200 Rpm), Intel 845GI
> Motherboard, an ISDN PBX connected via USB to dial-up, the connection
> wasn't established when the system oopsed.
> Attached are some information.
> (See attached file: info.txt)(See attached file: oops.log)

HTH,
Carl-Daniel
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/

* Antwort: Re: Oops in Kernel 2.4.21-rc1
@ 2003-05-27 13:54 Werner.Beck
From: Werner.Beck @ 2003-05-27 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skraw; +Cc: linux-kernel

unfortunately that is not possible at the moment...

|         |           Stephan von      |
|         |           Krawczynski      |
|         |           <skraw@ithnet.com|
|         |           >                |
|         |           27.05.2003 15:49 |
  |       An:       Werner.Beck@Lidl.de                                                                                          |
  |       Kopie:    linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org                                                                                 |
  |       Thema:    Re: Oops in Kernel 2.4.21-rc1                                                                                |

On Tue, 27 May 2003 14:01:00 +0200
Werner.Beck@Lidl.de wrote:

> Hello,
> I encountered a Kernel oops on two different PCs, both a configured
> identical. The system uses an ISDN connection to an Internet ISP and then
> establishes a VPN tunnel based on PPTP.
> As far as I can see in /var/log/messages the problem occurred on both
> system at the same time at 00:15, but not at the same day and not every
> day. No special program is running at that time. Basically it is a SuSE
7.3
> distribution, I made a Kernel upgrade.
> Hardware is a Fujitsu Siemens N300 PC with an IDE (7200 Rpm), Intel 845GI
> Motherboard, an ISDN PBX connected via USB to dial-up, the connection
> wasn't established when the system oopsed.
> Attached are some information.
> (See attached file: info.txt)(See attached file: oops.log)

Exchange the USB/ISDN part with a pci card and re-try with kernel -rc4.

Tell us if that works.

Regards,
Stephan

[parent not found: <OFC9BF3818.E07B98DB-ONC1256D33.004C27AB-C1256D33.004C6AE8@lidl.de>]