* Finding reason for "Attempted to kill init"
@ 2003-05-26 23:56 Stephen Torri
       [not found] ` <200305271219.h4RCJSu10402@Port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua>
From: Stephen Torri @ 2003-05-26 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel

I can see from kernel/exit.c where the message "Attempted to kill init"
comes from in the kernel. That is good. What would be helpful is to
deteremine where in the code the function do_exit() is called. Is there
a way to do that? I am trying to hunt down a boot failure for a kernel
on a Gentoo LiveCD. I am in communication with the developers of the
Gentoo Alpha list about this problem?

Stephen
--
Stephen Torri <storri@sbcglobal.net>

* Re: Finding reason for "Attempted to kill init"
@ 2003-05-27 14:44     ` Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger @ 2003-05-27 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Torri; +Cc: vda, Linux Kernel

Stephen Torri wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 07:25, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
>
>>On 27 May 2003 02:56, Stephen Torri wrote:
>>
>>>I can see from kernel/exit.c where the message "Attempted to kill
>>>init" comes from in the kernel. That is good. What would be helpful
>>>is to deteremine where in the code the function do_exit() is called.
>>>Is there a way to do that? I am trying to hunt down a boot failure
>>>for a kernel on a Gentoo LiveCD. I am in communication with the
>>>developers of the Gentoo Alpha list about this problem?
>>
>>Your /sbin/init exits
>
> So because this binary file exists the kernel will not boot?

exist != exit

If init terminates, your system is borked anyway.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

@ 2003-05-27 14:48   ` Stephen Torri
From: Stephen Torri @ 2003-05-27 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)