* 2.5.70-mm2 causes performance drop of random read O_DIRECT
@ 2003-06-09 23:32 Steven Pratt
From: Steven Pratt @ 2003-06-09 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Starting in 2.5.70-mm2 and continuing in the mm tree, there is a
significant degrade in random read for block devices using O_DIRECT.
 The drop occurs for all block sizes and ranges from 30%-40.  CPU usage
is also lower although it may already be so low as to be irrelavent.

                                 tolerance = 0.00 + 3.00% of 2.5.70-mm1
             2.5.70-mm1   2.5.70-mm2
 Blocksize      KBs/sec      KBs/sec    %diff         diff    tolerance
---------- ------------ ------------ -------- ------------ ------------
      4096         1567          924   -41.03      -643.00        47.01  *
      8192         3057         1815   -40.63     -1242.00        91.71  *
     16384         5745         3509   -38.92     -2236.00       172.35  *
     65536        17357        11283   -34.99     -6074.00       520.71  *
    262144        37537        27302   -27.27    -10235.00      1126.11  *

Full results can be found at:
http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/linuxperf/regression/2.5.70-mm2/2.5.70-mm1-vs-2.5.70-mm2/

Steve

* Re: 2.5.70-mm2 causes performance drop of random read O_DIRECT
@ 2003-06-10  0:13 ` Nick Piggin
From: Nick Piggin @ 2003-06-10  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Pratt; +Cc: linux-kernel

Steven Pratt wrote:

> Starting in 2.5.70-mm2 and continuing in the mm tree, there is a
> significant degrade in random read for block devices using O_DIRECT.
> The drop occurs for all block sizes and ranges from 30%-40.  CPU usage
> is also lower although it may already be so low as to be irrelavent.

Hi Steven, this is quite likely to be an io scheduler problem.
Is your test program rawread v2.1.5? What is the command line
you are using to invoke the program?

* Re: 2.5.70-mm2 causes performance drop of random read O_DIRECT
@ 2003-06-10 14:05   ` Steven Pratt
From: Steven Pratt @ 2003-06-10 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Piggin; +Cc: linux-kernel

Nick Piggin wrote:

> Steven Pratt wrote:
>
>> Starting in 2.5.70-mm2 and continuing in the mm tree, there is a
>> significant degrade in random read for block devices using
>> O_DIRECT.   The drop occurs for all block sizes and ranges from
>> 30%-40.  CPU usage is also lower although it may already be so low as
>> to be irrelavent.
>
> Hi Steven, this is quite likely to be an io scheduler problem.
> Is your test program rawread v2.1.5?

This test was actually using 2.1.4, but the only difference in the 2.1.5
version is a fix for the test label array for the aio versions of the
test.  No functional change, just fixed the outputed test description.

> What is the command line you are using to invoke the program?

rawread -t6 -p8 -m1 -d2 -s4096 -n65536 -l1 -z -x

Which you can find if you follow either results link and look in the
benchmark directory where all raw benchmark out put is stored.

@ 2003-06-11  1:00     ` Nick Piggin
From: Nick Piggin @ 2003-06-11  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Pratt; +Cc: linux-kernel

Steven Pratt wrote:

> Nick Piggin wrote:
>
>> Steven Pratt wrote:
>>
>>> Starting in 2.5.70-mm2 and continuing in the mm tree, there is a
>>> significant degrade in random read for block devices using
>>> O_DIRECT.   The drop occurs for all block sizes and ranges from
>>> 30%-40.  CPU usage is also lower although it may already be so low
>>> as to be irrelavent.
>>

>> Hi Steven, this is quite likely to be an io scheduler problem.
>> Is your test program rawread v2.1.5?
>

> This test was actually using 2.1.4, but the only difference in the
> 2.1.5 version is a fix for the test label array for the aio versions
> of the test.  No functional change, just fixed the outputed test
> description.
>
>> What is the command line you are using to invoke the program?
>

> rawread -t6 -p8 -m1 -d2 -s4096 -n65536 -l1 -z -x
>
> Which you can find if you follow either results link and look in the
> benchmark directory where all raw benchmark out put is stored.

OK thanks, I can now reproduce this! I'll work on it.

* Re: 2.5.70-mm2 causes performance drop of random read O_DIRECT
@ 2003-06-11 15:16       ` Steven Pratt
From: Steven Pratt @ 2003-06-11 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Piggin; +Cc: linux-kernel, Andrew Morton

Nick Piggin wrote:

> Steven Pratt wrote:
>
>> Nick Piggin wrote:

>>> Hi Steven, this is quite likely to be an io scheduler problem.
>>> Is your test program rawread v2.1.5?
>>
>> This test was actually using 2.1.4, but the only difference in the
>> 2.1.5 version is a fix for the test label array for the aio versions
>> of the test.  No functional change, just fixed the outputed test
>> description.
>>
>>> What is the command line you are using to invoke the program?
>>
>> rawread -t6 -p8 -m1 -d2 -s4096 -n65536 -l1 -z -x
>>
>> Which you can find if you follow either results link and look in the
>> benchmark directory where all raw benchmark out put is stored.
>
> OK thanks, I can now reproduce this! I'll work on it.

Looks like Andrew beat you to it.  Both 2.5.70-mm7 and mm8 are back up
to the previous performance levels for random reads.

@ 2003-06-12  1:14         ` Nick Piggin
From: Nick Piggin @ 2003-06-12  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Pratt; +Cc: linux-kernel, Andrew Morton

Steven Pratt wrote:

> Nick Piggin wrote:
>
>> Steven Pratt wrote:

>>> This test was actually using 2.1.4, but the only difference in the
>>> 2.1.5 version is a fix for the test label array for the aio versions
>>> of the test.  No functional change, just fixed the outputed test
>>> description.

>>> rawread -t6 -p8 -m1 -d2 -s4096 -n65536 -l1 -z -x
>>>
>>> Which you can find if you follow either results link and look in the
>>> benchmark directory where all raw benchmark out put is stored.
>>

>> OK thanks, I can now reproduce this! I'll work on it.
>

> Looks like Andrew beat you to it.  Both 2.5.70-mm7 and mm8 are back up
> to the previous performance levels for random reads.

No, that was me ;)
Odd, I was still seeing a regression with mm7, but thats
fixed in mm8. Thanks for testing.