* pppd pppoatm multilink?
@ 2003-07-02 12:18 Faye Pearson
From: Faye Pearson @ 2003-07-02 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

My ISP is about to trial multilink ADSL for use with routers like the
Cisco 1600, but I was wondering if it could be done 'on the cheap' (well
relatively anyway) with a linux box and a couple of PCI ADSL modems.

AIUI it should work the same as MP using two ttyS devices but
first glance suggests this won't work, the pppoatm module for pppd
seems to take the VPI.VCI as the device and there doesn't seem to
be any way to say which physical ATM device to use.  The VPI.VCI
would be the same at both interfaces.  Does it just pick the
first available ATM device?  Or just the first ATM device?

Thanks

Faye.

Please also cc: me in on replies, thank you.

* Re: pppd pppoatm multilink?
@ 2003-07-02 14:11 ` Chris Friesen
From: Chris Friesen @ 2003-07-02 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Faye Pearson; +Cc: linux-kernel

Faye Pearson wrote:
> My ISP is about to trial multilink ADSL for use with routers like the
> Cisco 1600, but I was wondering if it could be done 'on the cheap' (well
> relatively anyway) with a linux box and a couple of PCI ADSL modems.

You may want to repost this on the linux-atm and linux-net mailing lists
(linux-atm-general@lists.sourceforge.net and netdev@oss.sgi.com,
respectively).

Chris

--
Chris Friesen                    | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks                  | work: (613) 765-0557

* Re: pppd pppoatm multilink?
@ 2003-07-03  0:51 ` Till Immanuel Patzschke
From: Till Immanuel Patzschke @ 2003-07-03  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Faye Pearson; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-atm-general

Hmmm,

how is that supposed to work?  The trick about PPPoA is that the underlying
(logical) structure provides a distinct physical link (like in the modem
world).  The actual ATM cells have no tag that allows the BRAS to sort out which
PPP connection is currently sending packets, so you actually have to have more
than one VC to make this work.

Cheers,

Immanuel