* Problem with mii-tool && 2.6.0-test1-ac2
@ 2003-07-19 18:22 Pedro Ribeiro
From: Pedro Ribeiro @ 2003-07-19 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

If I compile the 8139 ethernet support as a module (as I always did -
module name >> 8130too) I will get an error in make modules_install.
However, if I build it in the kernel it will work just fine. The problem
is that now when I try to do a simple mii-tool -F 100baseTX-FD eth0
(because my eth always stats at 100 Half duplex) I get this error:

SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported

What should I do?

PR

* Re: Problem with mii-tool && 2.6.0-test1-ac2
@ 2003-07-20  3:28 ` Matt Reppert
From: Matt Reppert @ 2003-07-20  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Ribeiro, linux-kernel

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:22:30 +0100
Pedro Ribeiro <deadheart@netcabo.pt> wrote:

> If I compile the 8139 ethernet support as a module (as I always did -
> module name >> 8130too) I will get an error in make modules_install.
> However, if I build it in the kernel it will work just fine. The problem
> is that now when I try to do a simple mii-tool -F 100baseTX-FD eth0
> (because my eth always stats at 100 Half duplex) I get this error:
>
> SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported

What's the error you get on install? I don't have a problem doing it on
my iBook.

You have to explicitly turn on MII support in 2.6-test; the kconfig option
is CONFIG_MII; it's "Generic Media Independent Interface device support",
the first item under "Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)". This needs to be modular or
on to use mii-tool, I imagine.

Matt

* Re: Problem with mii-tool && 2.6.0-test1-ac2
@ 2003-07-20  3:57   ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2003-07-20  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Reppert; +Cc: Pedro Ribeiro, linux-kernel

Matt Reppert wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:22:30 +0100
> Pedro Ribeiro <deadheart@netcabo.pt> wrote:
>

>>If I compile the 8139 ethernet support as a module (as I always did -
>>module name >> 8130too) I will get an error in make modules_install.
>>However, if I build it in the kernel it will work just fine. The problem
>>is that now when I try to do a simple mii-tool -F 100baseTX-FD eth0
>>(because my eth always stats at 100 Half duplex) I get this error:
>>
>>SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported
>

> What's the error you get on install? I don't have a problem doing it on
> my iBook.
>
> You have to explicitly turn on MII support in 2.6-test; the kconfig option
> is CONFIG_MII; it's "Generic Media Independent Interface device support",
> the first item under "Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)". This needs to be modular or
> on to use mii-tool, I imagine.

No, CONFIG_MII only occasionally affects mii-tool support.  Further,
CONFIG_MII is forced on if it is needed.

As I explained in another mail, older mii-tool binaries use the
traditional -- but non-standard -- ioctls for the MII operations.  Newer
versions of mii-tool use the proper SIOC[GS]MIIxxx ioctls.

The proper fix is to obtain the latest version of mii-tool, possibly
from net-utils cvs if nowhere else.

	Jeff