* froom assembly to C in boot code
@ 2003-07-25 18:05 Koala GNU
From: Koala GNU @ 2003-07-25 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all,

I forward to the lkml a mail I posted on kernelnewbies hoping someone of
you can help me.

for a couple of weeks I worked on some examples about boot process. In
my previous post on kernelnewbies I post some of them.

Now I have a problem. My goal is to boot from a diskette, load the setup
code (4 sectors), load the kernel at 0x10000 and move it at 0x1000
trying to execute a main C routine that
should represent the start of the kernel. This C routine print simply
"Hello Kernel".

For my job I used the examples of Berlin Brown at
http://bama.ua.edu/~brown084/main.html  because this code is a
simplified version of the linux boot process.

Attached there is my code, hoping someone of you can give a look at it
and tell me if there is something wrong (I think so).

Before the jump to 0x0100 all seems work fine. The problem happen when I switch in
protected mode and try to jump to 0x0100.

Ahhhh!!! I use bochs for my test.

PS

To build my code type:

make clean (when necessary)
make all

to write on a diskette:
make disk

[-- Attachment #2: boot.tar.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 40960 bytes --]

* Re: froom assembly to C in boot code
@ 2003-07-25 22:35 ` Gianni Tedesco
From: Gianni Tedesco @ 2003-07-25 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: koala.gnu; +Cc: linux-kernel