* 2.6.0-test2: crash in reiserfs at shutdown
@ 2003-08-02 10:53 Harald Dunkel
From: Harald Dunkel @ 2003-08-02 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi folks,

I get a reproducable system crash in reiserfs at shutdown
time, when my external USB disk is going to be unmounted.

Final words are

	kernel BUG at fs/reiserfs/prints.c: 339

plus a lot of more lines. If I umount the disk at normal
runtime, then there is no problem.

I would be glad to help to get this fixed, but before I
manually write down all the other lines: Is anybody
interested in this? Or is this a well known problem?

Regards

Harri

* Re: 2.6.0-test2: crash in reiserfs at shutdown
@ 2003-08-03  6:49 ` Oleg Drokin
From: Oleg Drokin @ 2003-08-03  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: harri, linux-kernel

Hello!

Harald Dunkel <harri@synopsys.com> wrote:

HD> Final words are
HD>         kernel BUG at fs/reiserfs/prints.c: 339

There should be one line prior to that.
This line explains what went wrong in reiserfs opinion.
Can you please say us what was the line?

Bye,
    Oleg

* Re: 2.6.0-test2: crash in reiserfs at shutdown
@ 2003-08-03  7:43   ` Harald Dunkel
From: Harald Dunkel @ 2003-08-03  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Drokin; +Cc: linux-kernel

Oleg Drokin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Harald Dunkel <harri@synopsys.com> wrote:
>
> HD> Final words are
> HD>         kernel BUG at fs/reiserfs/prints.c: 339
>
> There should be one line prior to that.
> This line explains what went wrong in reiserfs opinion.
> Can you please say us what was the line?

It said

	unmounting local filesystems... bio too big device sdc1 (8 > 0)
	bio too big device sdc1 (8 > 0)
	journal - 601, buffer write failed
	--- cut here ---
	kernel BUG at fs/reiserfs/prints.c: 339
	:

To me the problem seems that the USB stuff is shutdown
without unmounting the external USB disk first. Later, at
the "unmounting all disks" step in the shutdown procedure
the USB storage device can't be accessed anymore.

@ 2003-08-03  7:45     ` Oleg Drokin
From: Oleg Drokin @ 2003-08-03  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Dunkel; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hello!

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 09:43:08AM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> >HD> Final words are
> >HD>         kernel BUG at fs/reiserfs/prints.c: 339
> >There should be one line prior to that.
> >This line explains what went wrong in reiserfs opinion.
> >Can you please say us what was the line?
> It said
> 	unmounting local filesystems... bio too big device sdc1 (8 > 0)
> 	bio too big device sdc1 (8 > 0)
> 	journal - 601, buffer write failed

Ok, so it tried to write the journal stuff and failed.

> To me the problem seems that the USB stuff is shutdown
> without unmounting the external USB disk first. Later, at
> the "unmounting all disks" step in the shutdown procedure
> the USB storage device can't be accessed anymore.

Yes, this really seems to be a problem.
Reiserfs is really unhappy when media disappear under its feet.

Bye,
    Oleg

* Re: 2.6.0-test2: crash in reiserfs at shutdown
@ 2003-08-04  9:00     ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2003-08-04  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Dunkel; +Cc: Oleg Drokin, linux-kernel

On Sun, Aug 03 2003, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Oleg Drokin wrote:
> >Hello!
> >
> >Harald Dunkel <harri@synopsys.com> wrote:
> >
> >HD> Final words are
> >HD>         kernel BUG at fs/reiserfs/prints.c: 339
> >
> >There should be one line prior to that.
> >This line explains what went wrong in reiserfs opinion.
> >Can you please say us what was the line?
> >
> It said
>
> 	unmounting local filesystems... bio too big device sdc1 (8 > 0)
> 	bio too big device sdc1 (8 > 0)
> 	journal - 601, buffer write failed

reiser most likely tried to flush its journal after the device had
disappeared, the queue has been memset it seems. not a reiser problem
per se.

> To me the problem seems that the USB stuff is shutdown
> without unmounting the external USB disk first. Later, at
> the "unmounting all disks" step in the shutdown procedure
> the USB storage device can't be accessed anymore.

Seems about right.

--
Jens Axboe