* Fast DMA CD audio extraction
@ 2003-08-03 17:59 Tom Felker
From: Tom Felker @ 2003-08-03 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I'm trying to get decent performance (e.g. DMA, not PIO) extracting audio with
cdparanoia from an new IDE CD-ROM.  The current problem is very slow ripping
and very high system CPU time.  hdparm reports DMA is on, and reading data is
perfectly fast.

What kernel versions and patches should I be trying?

(Please cc: me, emailing in reply to linux.kernel posts munges threading)

Tom Felker

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive
property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea.

* Re: Fast DMA CD audio extraction
@ 2003-08-03 18:45 ` Ed Sweetman
From: Ed Sweetman @ 2003-08-03 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Tom Felker

Tom Felker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get decent performance (e.g. DMA, not PIO) extracting audio with
> cdparanoia from an new IDE CD-ROM.  The current problem is very slow ripping
> and very high system CPU time.  hdparm reports DMA is on, and reading data is
> perfectly fast.
>
> What kernel versions and patches should I be trying?
>
> (Please cc: me, emailing in reply to linux.kernel posts munges threading)
> Thanks,

akpm's kernel trees have the ide-dma patch that enables dma in raw mode.
  Works quite nicely but i'd only use it on really prestine cds. DMA by
it's nature doesn't give the best error reporting when dealing with raw
data cds like audio cds. I've never had a problem with it though, even
on cds with scratches.

* Re: Fast DMA CD audio extraction
@ 2003-08-03 18:46   ` Ed Sweetman
From: Ed Sweetman @ 2003-08-03 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Tom Felker

Ed Sweetman wrote:
> Tom Felker wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to get decent performance (e.g. DMA, not PIO) extracting
>> audio with cdparanoia from an new IDE CD-ROM.  The current problem is
>> very slow ripping and very high system CPU time.  hdparm reports DMA
>> is on, and reading data is perfectly fast.
>>
>> What kernel versions and patches should I be trying?
>>
>> (Please cc: me, emailing in reply to linux.kernel posts munges threading)
>> Thanks,

Correction, magellon's tree, designated by the -jam extension.