* ACPI Power Button Event problems(?)
@ 2003-08-07  6:51 Wes Janzen
From: Wes Janzen @ 2003-08-07  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel

I'm having an interesting, and relatively benign problem with ACPI
events.  I downloaded the ACPI daemon from SourceForge and with
2.6.0-test1-mm2 when I pressed the power button, ACPI would be deluded
with PWRF events until I pushed the button again or acpid was
restarted.  That's easy enough to work around, but with 2.6.0-test2-mm1
the events never stop.  Restarting the daemon makes no difference, nor
does pushing the button have any effect.  That wouldn't be too big of a
problem if I was using the power button to restart the PC, but I'm using
the event to kill sawfish since it likes locking up (and disregarding
any keyboard input) leaving me with no recourse but to press the reset
button otherwise.  So, it works great for the first lockup, but I can't
reset the power button event so I'm stuck with the reset button on the
second round.  Unless I want to reboot, which I'd rather not.

Is this a bug in 2.6.0-test2-mm1 or was the bug the fact it could be
cancelled in 2.6.0-test1-mm2?

Thanks,

-Wes-

* Re: ACPI Power Button Event problems(?)
@ 2003-08-07 19:41 ` Micha Feigin
From: Micha Feigin @ 2003-08-07 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 09:51, Wes Janzen wrote:
> I'm having an interesting, and relatively benign problem with ACPI
> events.  I downloaded the ACPI daemon from SourceForge and with
> 2.6.0-test1-mm2 when I pressed the power button, ACPI would be deluded
> with PWRF events until I pushed the button again or acpid was
> restarted.  That's easy enough to work around, but with 2.6.0-test2-mm1
> the events never stop.  Restarting the daemon makes no difference, nor
> does pushing the button have any effect.  That wouldn't be too big of a
> problem if I was using the power button to restart the PC, but I'm using
> the event to kill sawfish since it likes locking up (and disregarding
> any keyboard input) leaving me with no recourse but to press the reset
> button otherwise.  So, it works great for the first lockup, but I can't
> reset the power button event so I'm stuck with the reset button on the
> second round.  Unless I want to reboot, which I'd rather not.
>
> Is this a bug in 2.6.0-test2-mm1 or was the bug the fact it could be
> cancelled in 2.6.0-test1-mm2?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Wes-
>
> -

I am guessing that it is not a bug in acpid since stop it didn't help.
You could try a
cat /proc/acpi/event
to make sure that you are actually getting these events no stop.
I am guessing that it is a faulty dsdt since you got the same the
behavior on the different kernel.
Can you tell if this also happens with 2.4 kernel?

* Re: ACPI Power Button Event problems(?)
@ 2003-08-08  1:29   ` Wes Janzen
From: Wes Janzen @ 2003-08-08  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel

I did the cat /proc/acpi/event shortly after implementing my script and
finding out it was continually being called after pressing the power
button.  I got/(still get):
button/power PWRF 00000080 00000001
button/power PWRF 00000080 00006bbb
... etc.

Of course, with 2.6.0-test1-mm2, it would stop when I restarted acpid or
pushed the power button again.  With 2.6.0-test2-mm1 that has changed in
that stopping the events requires a reboot.

I can recompile my 2.4.18 with ACPI support and see what happens if that
is necessary...just let me know.

Thanks.