* osirusoft.com DNS BLs are broken ...
@ 2003-08-26 16:02 Matti Aarnio
From: Matti Aarnio @ 2003-08-26 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

yielding SERVFAIL for query:

  dig any 212.78.72.67.spews.relays.osirusoft.com.

That in itself should not be any difficulty, but MANY
filter codes in different MTAs appear to treat that as
if there is genuine registered rejection!

I have seen this at sendmails (up to and including lattest),
and at Postfix!   But also at several systems not willing
to tell what they are running do exhibit this very same
misbehaviour.

Lots of bounces will result in lots of people getting
unsubscribed..

* Re: osirusoft.com DNS BLs are broken ...
@ 2003-08-27  4:34 ` Stan Bubrouski
From: Stan Bubrouski @ 2003-08-27  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matti Aarnio; +Cc: linux-kernel

Matti Aarnio wrote:
> yielding SERVFAIL for query:
>
>   dig any 212.78.72.67.spews.relays.osirusoft.com.

<SNIP>

As of today OSIRUSOFT is no more as a result of a
DDOS attack :( The site has been taken down and to
get the point across that OSIRUSOFT blacklists are
dead they are now blacklisting the entire internet (*.*.*.*)

So... there's a lot more going on than meets the
eye :-/

-sb

* Re: osirusoft.com DNS BLs are broken ...
@ 2003-08-27 16:23 ` Henning P. Schmiedehausen
From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen @ 2003-08-27 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@zmailer.org> writes:

>That in itself should not be any difficulty, but MANY
>filter codes in different MTAs appear to treat that as
>if there is genuine registered rejection!

>I have seen this at sendmails (up to and including lattest),
>and at Postfix!   But also at several systems not willing
>to tell what they are running do exhibit this very same
>misbehaviour.

sendmail:

--- cut --
dnsbl           Turns on rejection of hosts found in an DNS based rejection
                list.  If an argument is provided it is used as the domain
[...]
                information.  By default, temporary lookup failures are
                ignored.  This behavior can be changed by specifying a
                third argument, which must be either `t' or a full error
                message.  See the anti-spam configuration control section for
--- cut --

_Anyone_ changing the default behaviour of "temporary lookup failure"
to reject mail should be treated with a really large clue-bat (TM).

	Regards
		Henning

"Dominate!! Dominate!! Eat your young and aggregate! I have grotty silicon!"
      -- AOL CD when played backwards  (User Friendly - 200-10-15)