* Re: [parisc-linux] Security Hole in binfmt_som.c ?
       [not found] <3F509BBD.2040007@hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de>
@ 2003-08-30 13:15 ` Matthew Wilcox
From: Matthew Wilcox @ 2003-08-30 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruediger Scholz; +Cc: parisc-linux, linux-kernel

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 02:42:37PM +0200, Ruediger Scholz wrote:
> binfmt_som.c:216:2: #error "Fix security hole before enabling me"
> What's this message about?

I don't know.  I wish someone would tell me.  You'd think they'd have the
decency to contact the person listed as the author at the top of the file.

* Re: [parisc-linux] Security Hole in binfmt_som.c ?
@ 2003-08-30 13:49   ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2003-08-30 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sad, 2003-08-30 at 14:15, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 02:42:37PM +0200, Ruediger Scholz wrote:
> > binfmt_som.c:216:2: #error "Fix security hole before enabling me"
> > What's this message about?
>
> I don't know.  I wish someone would tell me.  You'd think they'd have the
> decency to contact the person listed as the author at the top of the file.

Actually explanations were posted in the previous discussion on this on
parisc-list.

Someone has to do the equivalent of the 2.4.22 binfmt_elf changes if
neccessary so that another thread can't change the file handles or
steal the exec fd being passed to the loader.

* Re: [parisc-linux] Security Hole in binfmt_som.c ?
@ 2003-08-30 13:59     ` Matthew Wilcox
From: Matthew Wilcox @ 2003-08-30 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 02:49:50PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sad, 2003-08-30 at 14:15, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 02:42:37PM +0200, Ruediger Scholz wrote:
> > > binfmt_som.c:216:2: #error "Fix security hole before enabling me"
> > > What's this message about?
> >
> > I don't know.  I wish someone would tell me.  You'd think they'd have the
> > decency to contact the person listed as the author at the top of the file.
>
> Actually explanations were posted in the previous discussion on this on
> parisc-list.

Um, I can't find it, and neither can Google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=binfmt_som+security&as_q=%5Bparisc-linux&btnG=Google+Search&as_sitesearch=lists.parisc-linux.org

> Someone has to do the equivalent of the 2.4.22 binfmt_elf changes if
> neccessary so that another thread can't change the file handles or
> steal the exec fd being passed to the loader.

Hm, ok, I'll take a look later this weekend if no-one gets to it first.

* Re: [parisc-linux] Security Hole in binfmt_som.c ?
@ 2003-08-30 23:33       ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2003-08-30 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sad, 2003-08-30 at 14:59, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> Um, I can't find it, and neither can Google:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=binfmt_som+security&as_q=%5Bparisc-linux&btnG=Google+Search&as_sitesearch=lists.parisc-linux.org

Humm I thought it was on this list. Maybe lkml then

Whatever the basic problem is we have kernel loaders and
user threads sharing a file table unsafely

* Re: [parisc-linux] Security Hole in binfmt_som.c ?
@ 2003-09-01  8:00     ` Joel Soete
From: Joel Soete @ 2003-09-01  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox

Alan Cox wrote:

>On Sad, 2003-08-30 at 14:15, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>

>>On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 02:42:37PM +0200, Ruediger Scholz wrote:
>>

>>>binfmt_som.c:216:2: #error "Fix security hole before enabling me"
>>>What's this message about?
>>>

>>I don't know.  I wish someone would tell me.  You'd think they'd have the
>>decency to contact the person listed as the author at the top of the file.
>>

>Actually explanations were posted in the previous discussion on this on
>parisc-list.
>
>Someone has to do the equivalent of the 2.4.22 binfmt_elf changes if
>neccessary so that another thread can't change the file handles or
>steal the exec fd being passed to the loader.

Yes Alan, it was:
<http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/2003-July/020386.html>

Sorry Willy I trusted that you read it (My bad next time I will advise
you directly)

Joel