* BUG: in 2.6.0-test4-bk8 and bk9 involving handling of ethernet interfaces
@ 2003-09-07 19:32 Hal
From: Hal @ 2003-09-07 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

When i was finishing up using a cross over cable to transfer data from
my desktop to my labtop I notied an odd thing. After I ifconfig eth0
down to close the interface on my desktop runing 2.6.0-test4-bk8 it
froze all my ttys and ptys. I upgraded to bk9 and got the same thing.

To repeat the bug one will need two computers and a cross over cable.
Connect the two computers, ifconfig the interfaces on each computer.
Give them both an ip and then ifconfig up them both. Now to get the bug
ifconfig the interface on the computer runing a 2.6 kernel down and
hopefully there will be a system freeze.

For more information im using a Net Gear fa311 ethernet NIC with the
Natsemi ethernet drivers.

* Re: BUG: in 2.6.0-test4-bk8 and bk9 involving handling of ethernet interfaces
@ 2003-09-08 21:41 ` bill davidsen
From: bill davidsen @ 2003-09-08 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <3F5B87E2.6040501@open.org>, Hal  <pshbro@open.org> wrote:
| When i was finishing up using a cross over cable to transfer data from
| my desktop to my labtop I notied an odd thing. After I ifconfig eth0
| down to close the interface on my desktop runing 2.6.0-test4-bk8 it
| froze all my ttys and ptys. I upgraded to bk9 and got the same thing.
|
| To repeat the bug one will need two computers and a cross over cable.
| Connect the two computers, ifconfig the interfaces on each computer.
| Give them both an ip and then ifconfig up them both. Now to get the bug
| ifconfig the interface on the computer runing a 2.6 kernel down and
| hopefully there will be a system freeze.
|
| For more information im using a Net Gear fa311 ethernet NIC with the
| Natsemi ethernet drivers.

Did you config as nodes on a whole network or use point-to-point config?
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc